Rolling crate digging triumph thread

Dennis T.

blissblogger

WOEBOT said:
This is a library record by Anne Dudley of The Art of Noise. I've seen copies of this go for $75, I paid $4 for this one. It's simultaneously queasily 80s sounding (in yer face parping synths) and sort of wonderful. Like a focussed YMO. I'll be using this on the soundtrack of my next animation.

shit, i saw that in M&VE last time in london and passed on it, assuming it was most likely crap

my favorite NYC find recently -- George Harrison, Electronic Sound, on Zapple the experimental imprint of Apple, for 9 bucks. seems to be worth more a lot more. strange as the record store in question generally slightly overpriced and typically knows exactly what thing's are worth.

blissblogger

ollee said:
Just this afternoon I got David Holland and Derek Bailey's "Improvisation for Cello and Guitar" (1971 on ECM) ..

i saw another record by the london improv/incus/company crew on ECM -- forget what they were calling themselves, or the name of the album, but bailey and i think parker were on it ... circa 72/73/74... i did wonder if it was collectable and/or a snip at the 10 bucks they were asking ,but not being much of a fan of that sort of thing i passed

zhao

there are no accidents
blissblogger said:
but not being much of a fan of that sort of thing i passed

oh man... one o these days you might remember this and smack y'self upside the head... I've been wanting to get my hands on those Company records for sometime.

a few free jazz pieces of gold (to me, they're not terribly rare) I've found in the past couple of years are:

Steve Lacy and Evan Parker duet - $6.99

Evan Parker and Sainkho Namtchylak - Mars Song - 5.99

Circle (A. Braxton's 70s band. not the Finnish psych) Live on ECM. - for like $3.00 the store I guess had no idea what it was (on Amazon I think used copies are $35)

PeteUM

It's all grist
Well, I'm in the habit of listing the dumb records I've bought pointlessly in charity shops on my website (ahem: www.umbusiness.co.uk) and I've had a few interested enquiries about my copy of Alco's Threads Of Life LP. Some guy on Gemm wants $1400 or something for his. Really must sort out that Ebay thing...

DJ PIMP

Gemm seems a bit wonky... e.g. the clear Aphex Quoth 12" on Warp has a price of $50-80, but go on ebay and its listed as $5-10.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
blissblogger said:
i saw another record by the london improv/incus/company crew on ECM -- forget what they were calling themselves, or the name of the album, but bailey and i think parker were on it ... circa 72/73/74... i did wonder if it was collectable and/or a snip at the 10 bucks they were asking ,but not being much of a fan of that sort of thing i passed
It's not a bad album not great or indeed a "way in" to improv (start with a Derek Bailey solo record or <preferably>see him live)
I've seen the record go for £75 before now.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Oh and a friend of a friend picked up a MONO copy of The Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn yesterday in Oxfam (£3!!!)

blissblogger

labrat said:
I've seen the record go for £75 before now.

blimey, i'm round there this afternoon then in hopes it's still there -- buying at 12 bucks and factoring current exchange rates that would be over a 1000 % profit

francesco

Minerva Estassi
I'm not an expert, more a simple listener, to british improv, but I think that album on ECM is really great.

In the vast ECM catalogue there are really some great gems, but ECM won't reissue them!

for example:

Wolfgang Dauner - Output
Bennie Maupin - The Jewel In The Lotus
Julian Priester Pepo Mtoto - Love, Love
and the aforementioned The Music Inprovisation Company - The Music Inprovisation Company, reissued in cd only in japan

at least they reissued the ECM 1016 Terje Rypdal in cd, incredible album, like Miles Davis Jack Johnson meet the first album of Ash Ra Tempel....

henry s

Street Fighting Man
originally posted by francesco
In the vast ECM catalogue there are really some great gems, but ECM won't reissue them!

for example:

Wolfgang Dauner - Output

you talkin' about vinyl?

Love, Love was just reisssued on CD, two months ago...

francesco

Minerva Estassi
henry s said:
you talkin' about vinyl?

Love, Love was just reisssued on CD, two months ago...

Nobody told me!!!! Thanks for the info, gonna get a copy into my greedy empty hands as soon as possible!!
Yes I was talking about CD, i can't afford vinyl for various reason, travelling and changing house about every 6 month is one of. Vinyl is better, but cd is more handful. Also you don't have great second hand shop were i live, actually you don't even had record's shop who sell vinyl (unless i travel to Milano or Bologna).

Ciao! Francesco.

Woebot

francesco said:
I'm not an expert, more a simple listener, to british improv, but I think that album on ECM is really great.

for example:

Wolfgang Dauner - Output
and the aforementioned The Music Inprovisation Company - The Music Inprovisation Company, reissued in cd only in japan

at least they reissued the ECM 1016 Terje Rypdal in cd, incredible album, like Miles Davis Jack Johnson meet the first album of Ash Ra Tempel....

Also:

Marion Brown : Georgia Faun

and

Dave Holland : Emerald Tears

early on ECM were very cool.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
WOEBOT said:
Also:

Marion Brown : Georgia Faun

and

Dave Holland : Emerald Tears

early on ECM were very cool.

yah, even if this is not the ECM thread also:

Garbareck: Saat and Dis
Mountainscape by Surman/Philips (the original Trio actually, but sounding really cool not skronk)
have a soft spot for the Chick Corea - Return to Forever, the one on Ecm, expecially for the brasillian flavoured fusion themes, but beware of others Return to Forever lps, worst fusion ever!

D84

A few years ago I found the Indian Ocean "Schoolbell/Treehouse" 12" on Sleeping Bag and the Arthur Russell "World of Echo" LP for $5 each. Later I also found the Nocera "Summertime" 12 on Sleeping Bag at the same place.

Both the Sleeping Bag records were sealed but I had to hear them.. :)

They're probably the best of my finds.

The Quango & Sparky sleeve looks wicked.

hurricane run

Backjob said:
Actually anything with breakbeats and made between '91 and '94 is going for mad cash on eBay right now, doesn't seem to matter which country. I reckon that stuff is rare anywhere....

Seems strange that only a few years ago the shops were full of this stuff at knockdown prices. I picked up a lot of Shut up and dance for a pound a go.
Second hand dance record prices seem really driven by micro trends.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Someone must have been a DJ in this building in a previous life. I was standing in for the janitor a while ago, so I rescued these 12"s that someone was throwing away. The records need a good cleaning before playing and I haven't had the time to do that. A third of these I can't remember (Carlton? The Legend?). Any tips on what I should clean first?
(I just use lukewarm water with a drop of washing up liquid on records like these - it makes the records clean and also removes static).

• LFO - LFO (Leeds Warehouse Mix)
  • Primal Scream - Loaded
  • The Excorsist - The Scientist
  • Adamski - Killer Remix
  • Technotronic - Get Up/Pump Up the Jam (Wing Command mixes)
  • The Power (white label)
  • Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight 1989 remix
  • The Legend - Can You Feel It (Todd Terry etc)
  • Soul II Soul - Dreams
  • Chic - Le Freak megamedley
  • Carlton - Cool With Nature
  • Queen Latifah - Come Into My House (Richie Rich Mix)
  • Diana Ross - I'm Still Waiting (Phil Chill mix)
  • NWA - Gangsta Gangsta
  • Nightmares on Wax - Aftermath #1
  • DNA feat Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner
  • Detroit Spinners - Ghetto Child
  • Dee-Lite - Groove is in the Heart (peanutbutter mix)
  • Queen Latifah/De La Soul - The New School Mixes
  • Adamski - N-R-G
  • Kicking Back with Taxman - Devotion
  • The Chimes - Heaven (summer breeze mix)
  • Adamski - The Space Jungle
  • Orbital - Chime
  • Fantasy UFO - Fantasy (Raving Rage Mix)
  • Impedance - Tainted Love
  • Madonna - Keep it Together (white label promo)
  • Nightmares on Wax - Dextrous
  • Soul II Soul - Back to life (club mix)
  • Angel/Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams Nightmare Mix
  • Beats International - Won't Talk About It
  • Was Not Was - Papa Was a Rolling Stone

mms

sometimes
francesco said:
- Return to Forever, the one on Ecm, but beware of others Return to Forever lps, worst fusion ever!

i have a soft spot for the children of forever album by return to forever -esp stanley clarkes electric wa wa double bass and the long track sea journey.
you gotta give that one some grace ! :)

notoriousJ.I.M

Backjob said:
Back in '94 I swapped Aphex "red label" and "blue label" for 4 e's and a wrap of crystal.

Absolutely moronic thing to do, I dread to think how much those are worth now...

Someone's selling a copy of the Red Universal Indicator for € 175.00 on Discogs. I picked up Universal Indicator Red along with Moroder's Munich Machine LP and The Drexciya mix of UR's Electronic Warfare for £2 at a record fair in a box marked 'disco'. That works out at 66 pence each! Yesterday I found Bass, Breaks and Bleeps on Rumour records for £3.