Rolling crate digging triumph thread

dominic

Beast of Burden
nothing terribly obscure here, but for $1 each at sattelite --

MI 7 -- Rockin Down the House -- w/ 4 mixes -- Chill 1991

Members of the House -- Reach for the Love -- w/ 4 mixes by UR -- Shockwave 1991

blissblogger

henry s said:
you talkin' about vinyl?

Love, Love was just reisssued on CD, two months ago...

retrospective crate-digging epiphany--realising that the julian priester reissue everyone (slight exag) is bigging up is something that you scooped up for a $1 on pristine vinyl a while back based on faint memory that kevin 'jazz satellites' martin rated him highly or was it kodwo, one of those guys anyway

henry s

Street Fighting Man
blissblogger said:
retrospective crate-digging epiphany--realising that the julian priester reissue everyone (slight exag) is bigging up is something that you scooped up for a $1 on pristine vinyl a while back based on faint memory that kevin 'jazz satellites' martin rated him highly or was it kodwo, one of those guys anyway
does anybody know if Kodwo Eshun currently writes/blogs anywhere?...haven't (knowingly) read him in ages, and he is a pretty good source for stuff like this...

AshRa

I got Sessomatto (first West End record) from the car boot inamongst a load of Paul Young / Phil Collins / Leo Sayer a couple of months ago for 20p. Which was nice.

john eden

male pale and stale
henry s said:
does anybody know if Kodwo Eshun currently writes/blogs anywhere?...haven't (knowingly) read him in ages, and he is a pretty good source for stuff like this...

Last time I saw him, he was enthusing* about writing for exhibition catalogues!

*NB Kodwo Eshun is always enthusing about something. :D

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Only thing I'm really pleased about is Krome & Time Ganja Man pristine reissue with Stuido One Lik for four quid... probably my favourite amen tune and I was quoted forty quid for original...

dominic

Beast of Burden
$3 bin at A1 finds . . . .

Nature Boy's Ruff Disco Volume 1 -- this is Milo Johnson, founding member of Wild Bunch -- came out in 1992 -- standout track is "under me" -- it's on Black Label, a sublabel of E-Legal

UBQ Project Volume II -- "When I Fell in Love" remixes -- but contains the original -- top italian house from 1991 -- on house-in-effect records

D-Code's "Hold/Give" -- brilliant mash-ups of Lisa Stansfield w/ other stuff i recognize but can't identify -- on TrueLove Electronic Communications -- which is, so far as i know, the original mash-up label -- ((((i've also got john truelove's "love/rock" release, which is a mash-up of kariya "let me love you for the night" w/ "tears," and has got "your love" mashed w/ "candi station" on the flip))))

kingofcars

i picked up the rinder & lewis "seven deadly sins" lp at A1 last week for $3 in the cutout beens.. i've seen it go for 50+ dollars...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
dominic said:
on TrueLove Electronic Communications -- which is, so far as i know, the original mash-up label
Dunno if it's the same one but there was a TrueLove Communications which was the sort of parent label of a lot of the acid techno stuff like Stay Up Forever...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
The Valentine Brothers - Money's Too Tight (Energy Records 12")

Jon & Vangelis - State of Independence (Polydor Records 12")

Father Abraham and The Smurfs - Dippety Day / Pinocchio in Smurfland (Decca 7")

Barry White - Don't Make Me Wait Too Long (20th Century Records 7")

Hang tight my charity shopping crew.

john eden

male pale and stale
Charity shop biz:

187 Locksown - Gunman 12" £1
Lethal B - Pow 12" £2

One of the Addis Ababa / New Flower JA sevens for a quid, but the dub skips.

noel emits

Showing off huh? Well in that case...

Nightmares On Wax - Aftermath (LFO Remix) 12" 50p
Groove Chronicles - Millenium Funk 12" 50p
Ms. Dynamite + Menta - RAMP one-sided 12" 50p
Benga - Skank / Dose 12" 50p
Wookie - Down On Me / Scrappy 12" 50p
Roxy Vs El-B - Breakbeat Science / Cuba 12" 75p
Missy Elliott - Pass The Dutch 12" £1
Loose Ends - Hangin' On A String 12" 75p
Prince - Controversy LP £1
Sophia George - Girlie Girlie 12" 50p
Pink Military - Blood & Lipstick EP £1
Baby D - (Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime) I Need Your Loving 12" 50p
Daniel Beddingfield - Gotta Get Through This (Sounds Of Da Future Remix) 12" 75p

I could go on... ;)

This guy at the Sunday market (car boot sale) had a huge selection of old 2step, breakstep and early dubstep things. He offered me a deal on the whole lot, about 200 records, but there was no way I could have carried them all so I just ended up grabbing a few bits. I was trying to think who I could call at 8 in the morning to help me carry a huge crate of records. I can console myself with the thought that many of them had obviously been hammered by a DJ. Still, I reckon there must have been some amazing shit in there.

Last edited:

bunnnnnn

_well_ my highlights of the last couple of months trawling have been:

mve bargain bins:

drexciya - the journey home 12" (£2)
gigi galaxy - lumuria ep (25p)
jammer - burnout / feedback (25p)
ruff sqwad - tings in boots (25p)
richard bone - the joy of radiation (25p)

boot fairs:

daphne oram - listen, move & dance (£1!!)
v/a - oi! of sex (£1)
about 10 mint cold rush / pcp / mover 12"s (£1 each!!)

charity shops:

ragga twins - the truth (50p)
a large selection of records by dj ordeal (really great surreal plunderphonics with beautiful 50s style collage covers) all from charity shops around canterbury for between 30p and £1

keep digging!!

noel emits

yeah, i guessed it might've been some form of creative distribution! do you know this guy, then? he's from brighton, no? shades of vitamin b12 to it all.
Yes, I don't think he's based in Brighton any more though. Eastbourne maybe, or er, possibly Canterbury!

http://www.myspace.com/141468221 One friend :(

It's probably a conceptual thing and he turns down all friend requests.

Are those records lathe cuts? I think he gets them done in really small runs.

bunnnnnn

Yes, I don't think he's based in Brighton any more though. Eastbourne maybe, or er, possibly Canterbury!

http://www.myspace.com/141468221 One friend :(

It's probably a conceptual thing and he turns down all friend requests.

Are those records lathe cuts? I think he gets them done in really small runs.

czech pressings by the looks of it. i'll try and befriend him and see if i get conceptually spurned.