blogger's anonymity vs posting photos

john eden

male pale and stale
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
One thing we discussed on Friday was why is there this unwritten law that no 'serious' blogger ever posts a jpeg of themselves? Faceless-blogger-bollox, innit? What's everyone scared of? Being recognised/stalked? Having to sign autographs when they go shopping? Getting their dicks sucked by blog-groupies? I keep meaning to buck the trend, but I always bottle it at the last minute.

I think being relatively anonymous might allow you a certain freedom to develop a persona, and write about subjects you wouldn't normally discuss with family, workmates or even friends (largely because they aren't interested - tho I've just done a post on nazi skinheads that I wouldn't necessarily want to be publically identifiable for). This is both a good and a bad thing, of course.

Seems to me like the bogstandard blogger software doesn't allow you to post images anyway?

Plus of course most bloggers are really ugly. :p

Having said that, anyone can post images on Dissensus... who's got the bottle?

eden2.jpg

Is my blurry pic from sometime ago in my profile on uk-dance.... might try and do a clearer and more recent one later.

luka

theres quite a lot of photos of me dotted around, none of them are particularly flattering. my favourite one is at pd.fotopages.com
cos its missing my head.

nick.K

gabba survivor
sufi, such a magical picture! you should have put it up, directly. Following on I rediscovered your websites... and it seems I'm gonna have my freetime sewn up for while. thx

Rambler

Awanturnik
I think there are lots of good reasons why people might want a bit of anonymity with their blogs - freedom to write about sensitive/controversial issues is one of them. On the other hand, there are plenty of bloggers who don't hide their names, but don't post pix of themselves (including me); one reason for that is that it _can_ look a bit narcissistic (OK, blogging is essentially all narcissism, but at least we try to pretend that it isn't). It's a matter of taste or etiquette I guess. In the same way as posting pictures of your cat or your front room can look a bit naff. Sadly, my favourite picture of me includes both a cat and a living room, so it's unlikely to appear on the blog.

Loki

anonymity

seems to me that people are not posting pictures for fear of something akin to self-aggrandisement; they want to be asked to show themselves, they need to be given the freedom of someone else's intentionality. A thread emerges and it's like an invitation to invade the visual space, something we're perhaps rightly reluctant to impose with no explicit need on the part of our readers (i can remember being very disappointed when i saw what Mary Ann Hobbes looked like...). It's no surprise therefore that people have risen to the challenge in this thread and elsewhere - excellent timing with the kiddie pics Gutterbreakz! - and revealed themselves... it's like a burden being lifted.

There's a similar sequence of events re: Comments boxes - as soon as a despairing blogger posts that they're requiring a little feedback, the posts flood in. People want to talk and they want to reveal themselves but shyness extends further into the psyche than the hordes of social phobics populating the web...

And, no, I'm not putting my picture up.

Woebot

me

i posted this on woebot ages ago. didnt look a bit like me for ages, but recently (since spring) i done lost two stone in weight so the likeness is better.

the only bloggers who posted photos of themselves on the front page were angus and nick southall. i came slowly to like angus's cheery mugshot. it is a bit off-putting really isnt it....

Woebot

john eden said:
eden2.jpg

Is my blurry pic from sometime ago in my profile on uk-dance.... might try and do a clearer and more recent one later.

eden you charlatan! this was the photo john sent me when we met up first (was it?) the summer before last. some fucking use it was!!! post a proper photo!

WOEBOT said:
me

i posted this on woebot ages ago. didnt look a bit like me for ages, but recently (since spring) i done lost two stone in weight so the likeness is better.

the only bloggers who posted photos of themselves on the front page were angus and nick southall. i came slowly to like angus's cheery mugshot. it is a bit off-putting really isnt it....

Which one is you?