what ails you?

well, I'm sorry to hear that, oliver. I'm sure you're fine - aren't these things more like genetic predispositions anyway? I mean you might need to take up yoga or something, and flick through Vogue less often (ahem) but it'll be ok.

I hadn't realised you were only a year old than me - in my mind you occupy the role of 'proper person'!

zhao

there are no accidents
I went on a juice fast for 45 days last year. no solids, only vegetable and fruit juices, mixed with a little herbal powder. for 1.5 months I had unmistakably higher than normal energy levels, ability to focus and concentrate, and did not need to sleep as much.

point being: food is a drug and an addiction. we are addicted to the pacifying chemicals our brains produce in reaction to all food (not only fatty foods), and we are addicted to the emotional satisfaction of eating.

what our bodies need (minerals and vitamins and a tiny amount of protean) are not found in 99% of the food we eat, which are instead filled with things which slow us down, give us health problems, cause deadly diseases, but taste good.

thus food can be convincingly argued as a much worse addiction than any kind of narcotic - number of users, and lack of awareness of its side effects - fatigue, bowel problems, colon cancer, pre-mature aging, etc - and taking these symptoms for granted, as "natural".

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
I've had wave after wave of hypochondria lately. Diabetes, unnoticed stroke, cancer, blood poisoning, cardiac arrhythmia. It's nearly done me in a few times, I think.

zhao

there are no accidents
infinite thought said:
I think I have one of these - I never manage to do the washing up in time before I run out of receptacles for my cereal.

the trick is to wash up right after a meal

IdleRich

IdleRich
"point being: food is a drug and an addiction"
"I had unmistakably higher than normal energy levels, ability to focus and concentrate, and did not need to sleep as much."
If this is the case then why did you cease your juice diet after just 45 days?

owen

well, i had a no-solids diet for 10 days (for actual medical reasons as opposed to on a whim) and felt dreadful, but i may lack the power of positive thinking that confucius has such an abundance of. did homo erectus have a juice diet as well?

fldsfslmn

excremental futurism
autonomicforthepeople said:
I've had wave after wave of hypochondria lately. Diabetes, unnoticed stroke, cancer, blood poisoning, cardiac arrhythmia. It's nearly done me in a few times, I think.

Ah man, I hear you. Lately I have been concerned about malfunctioning thyroid, Gardner's Syndrome (?!), and asbestosis. (Asbestosis is a huge one right now. One of my co-workers disturbed a ceiling tile this morning and I couldn't really handle it, despite no indication the building has asbestos at all.)

Hypochondria is really only a symptom of generalized anxiety, I think, not itself a distinct condition. (Or at least that's how I try to keep it at bay.)

adam

I also have crohn's and Owen's words seem horribly familiar to me. I think it's gone a bit quiet now but for a while I couldn't eat a bite without my stomach exploding with pain. And then there's all the other fun stuff associated with that condition.

On top of all that, I'm having a hip replacement in September. I'm 27 years old!

zhao

there are no accidents
IdleRich said:
If this is the case then why did you cease your juice diet after just 45 days?

because I still love the pleasure of food, the culture, and the social dimension.

also while for 45 days there was a surge of energy, I'm not entirely sure that it's advisable to juice indefinitely. I did lose a lot of weight (all fat - the herbal supplements I took have protein in it), roughly 30 lbs in 45 days, and I did not want to or need to lose more weight.

I resumed eating but what I eat, how I eat, how often I eat, as well as my relationship to food has completely changed as a result of the fast.

1. I gave up all meat (sea food excepted)

2. I now fast for a week or 3 every couple of months

3. I often skip dinner, and just have a vegetable juice - keeps energy levels up.

4. I no longer feel completely emotionally dependent on food - compared to before. the psychological difference is huge.

zhao

there are no accidents
owen said:
well, i had a no-solids diet for 10 days (for actual medical reasons as opposed to on a whim) and felt dreadful, but i may lack the power of positive thinking that confucius has such an abundance of. did homo erectus have a juice diet as well?

there might be many causes - the "medical reasons" may very well be some of them - for you to have felt "dreadful" during your fast: not enough fresh juices, not enough electro-lyte concentrated water, not enough protein (but our body actually need very little of protein - less than 2 grams a day)

diseases such as cancer did not exist before civilization (roughly 10,000 years ago) precisely because our diet before then consisted of 5000 kinds of fresh plants.

______

I used to be a heavy drug user, ate whatever I wanted - meat for every meal - whenever I wanted - giant cheese-burgers at 4 Am all drunk and high - and made fun of all this New Age health shit RELENTLESSLY .

I had some minor intestinal problems (at the time thought I was dying), and started learning about all this stuff - now I know better.

the self destructive and wanton hedonistic aspect of the sub-cultural, anti-establishment lifestyle, which I know all too well, I now realize is just STUPID. and fits right into the falling asleep / drugged out / apathetic / consumerist cycle.

johneffay

confucius said:
diseases such as cancer did not exist before civilization (roughly 10,000 years ago) precisely because our diet before then consisted of 5000 kinds of fresh plants.

Yes they did. As I pointed out in another thread, the fossil record shows that dinosaurs used to get cancer. Things like the Paleolithic Diet are nonsense. The reaon that not many Paleolithic people died of cancer is because there were lots of other things to kill them first.

confucius said:
I used to be a heavy drug user, ate whatever I wanted - meat for every meal - whenever I wanted - giant cheese-burgers at 4 Am all drunk and high - and made fun of all this New Age health shit RELENTLESSLY .

If this is the case, then surely any improvment in such a diet would make you feel better? Have you tried eating what mainstream nutritionists would label a healthy balanced diet and seeing how you felt then?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Confucius' use of diet sounds like it was done sensibly and with good results. I've heard a lot of people say that occasional jiuce diets and intermittent fasting gives them huge energy. It's not hard to see why.

Anyway, for the last week, I've been convinced I have mouth cancer - a hangover from smoking - but the ulcer's gone away now. So now I'm onto incipient heart disease. It's just relentless.

:p

owen

california uber alles

confucius said:
there might be many causes - the "medical reasons" may very well be some of them - for you to have felt "dreadful" during your fast: not enough fresh juices, not enough electro-lyte concentrated water, not enough protein (but our body actually need very little of protein - less than 2 grams a day)

it wasn't a 'fast', it was to avert stuff going into my ulcerated and fucked up lower intestine. read the thread before posting, eh?

______

confucius said:
I used to be a heavy drug user

surely not

i'm so glad you're not 'emotionally dependent' on food though, old chap

zhao

there are no accidents
Owen, where does your antagonism to what I'm saying come from? what is all this "california uber alles" and sneering - are you implying that I'm some sort of fascist? because I'm sharing a few experiences with the board which were enlightening as well as life saving?

do you think it's silly or a mistake to want to be healthy? to talk about ways to avoid disease?

edit:

if you have lower intestinal problems, so much the more you should learn about the things I'm talking about. why you are not finding out as much as you can about natural healing an herbal diets and vegetarianism is unfathomable. if you can avoid operations in the future why wouldn't you learn about what steps to take? and instead you are here making fun of me for talking about it???

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Bacon Slicer said:
It would take far too much bandwith to give you a description of all my medical problems. :eek:

well if the screen name is a reference to your kind of diet...