what ails you?

jenks

thread death
What currently ails me is a broken knee cap sustained at work where i slipped on some juice on a lino floor whilst carrying a box of books - 24 hrs on and i am still in a rage - i have a vile blue leg brace and two crutches and i've been told i won't be able to ride a bike for 12 weeks - the whole fucking summer!!!! :mad:

zhao

there are no accidents
jenks said:
What currently ails me is a broken knee cap sustained at work where i slipped on some juice on a lino floor whilst carrying a box of books - 24 hrs on and i am still in a rage - i have a vile blue leg brace and two crutches and i've been told i won't be able to ride a bike for 12 weeks - the whole fucking summer!!!! :mad:

how is the worker's compensation thing work in England? if that happened in the US from what I understand you could be set for a while, financially that is, if you played your cards right

jenks

thread death
confucius said:
how is the worker's compensation thing work in England? if that happened in the US from what I understand you could be set for a while, financially that is, if you played your cards right

i shall be contacting my union but as i work in a school i'm not holding out much hope :(

jenks

thread death
I am now in a bizarre hinged fibre glass cast from hip to toe unable to move my knee at all and encased for the next 6 weeks- it all sounded so much sexier in Ballard.

jenks

thread death
thanks - it sounds worse than it is - i can see the boredom being worse than the injury!!

(finished pattern recognition btw and will post on it when i am more lucid)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"(finished pattern recognition btw and will post on it when i am more lucid)"
I've barely started (fifty pages) the Henry Green thing because I've been out every night since I got it. I'm going to my parents' for the weekend though which will involve lots of relaxing and a two hour bus journey there and back so I should make some headway.

jenks

thread death
Rambler said:
The things some people will do to secure a month off for the World Cup...

Hope it gets better soon.

thanks for that - i dreamed about the idea of having weeks off work and now that it has happened i already miss it. kpunk would probably riff on about me being in thrall to kapital or summat but i think it's simply the people - i wonder how people cope with not working with others - must quite a few here who plough a lonely furrow?

craner

Beast of Burden
So my blood tests came back "slightly abnormal" according to my blunt GP receptionist, but not for anything I expected (high cholestoral, low glucose), but because I have a high level of hemoglobin. Too many red blood cells sloshing around. What does that mean, though? Now how am I dying?

bassnation

the abyss
jenks said:
thanks - it sounds worse than it is - i can see the boredom being worse than the injury!!

(finished pattern recognition btw and will post on it when i am more lucid)

funny you should mention knee injuries, mine is not as bad as yours but i felt something shift in my right knee cap when I kneeled down to plug something in. its been excruciatingly painful for a week now. i'm fine standing up but sitting and walking downstairs is agony. haven't been to the doctors yet but someone told me it might be a ligament problem. i put it down to sitting with my legs tucked under me when i am working.

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
oliver craner said:
So my blood tests came back "slightly abnormal" according to my blunt GP receptionist, but not for anything I expected (high cholestoral, low glucose), but because I have a high level of hemoglobin. Too many red blood cells sloshing around. What does that mean, though? Now how am I dying?

It means that you can compete in marathons.
Or if you don't feel like doing that, you could sell your blood to professional cyclists. They do bloodtransfusions before and after the races. The extra red bloodcells give the athletes a higher of oxygen supply to their muscles.

jenks

thread death
Not so much me as one of my sons

Last night we discovered that he is allergic to nuts

We discovered this the hard way - anaphalactic reaction involving massively swollen lips, constriction of the throat, rash etc.

Took him to the local hospital, excellent service, piriton injection, steroids etc.

Just wondered if anyone on here had much experience of this.

Lichen

Only via a friend who developed a nut allergy in her early 30's. She carries a syringe at all times .

If it comes, I wonder whether it also goes?

bruno

est malade
jenks said:
Not so much me as one of my sons

Last night we discovered that he is allergic to nuts

We discovered this the hard way - anaphalactic reaction involving massively swollen lips, constriction of the throat, rash etc.

Took him to the local hospital, excellent service, piriton injection, steroids etc.

Just wondered if anyone on here had much experience of this.

roughly the same thing happened to me last year, in my case a drug allergy, very nasty. first my arms and back, then my face and eventually my entire body. after the swelling had reached its peak i began to itch all over, it was a nightmare.

you do become more sensitive to things for a while. the allergies i had as a boy, which i had undergone treatment for came back in full in the aftermath. and i was left with marks where the rash manifested first, my back is a map. but you slowly desensitise, things return to normal.

i hope things turn out well for your son.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Horrendous Tinnitus-like symptoms leading to distorting audio, bizarre over-sensitivity to certain fequencies in the environment especially human speech ("STOP SHOUTING!") and extreme disorientation. Bugger.