Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ooh, watch out Dissensus indy-rock haters!

Default Ooh, watch out Dissensus indy-rock haters!

Did anyone see this toss in the Guardian yesterday?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/comme...704890,00.html

Choice quote:

"Now it's our turn to give a smug "up yours" to the punk generation et al. The Arctic Monkeys signal the triumph of a new wave that is going to be remembered as long as any previous heyday. The likes of the Libertines, Babyshambles, Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand and the Kaiser Chiefs lead an onslaught of indie-rock bands that are selling out shows, storming up the charts and creating a golden age of music not heard since the days of Britpop a decade ago."

Default yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by spackb0y
    Did anyone see this toss in the Guardian yesterday?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/comme...704890,00.html

Choice quote:

"Now it's our turn to give a smug "up yours" to the punk generation et al. The Arctic Monkeys signal the triumph of a new wave that is going to be remembered as long as any previous heyday. The likes of the Libertines, Babyshambles, Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand and the Kaiser Chiefs lead an onslaught of indie-rock bands that are selling out shows, storming up the charts and creating a golden age of music not heard since the days of Britpop a decade ago."

I read this aswell. First thought - a load of s***. Now I like some of these bands but the article was jus written so swagly....
    1 $/ of aid is NOTHING compared to 1 $/ of FAIR trade....

Ekome....

Quote Originally Posted by Tactics
    I read this aswell. First thought - a load of s***. Now I like some of these bands but the article was jus written so swagly....
    Yeah, likewise. "Well, you can keep your ageing sounds - today's fresh-faced youth are downloading their way to something fresh and exciting." Ha ha ha.

We should have been there when Britpop gripped the nation in 1995
    Aw, bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop
    Yeah, likewise. "Well, you can keep your ageing sounds - today's fresh-faced youth are downloading their way to something fresh and exciting." Ha ha ha.
    that's how i feel when i hear indie rock oddly.

The whole current indie rock movement is just Brit Pop all over again. Its nothing new or exciting. Its just good average music. Musics like Grime and Dubstep are on a whole different level which the mainstream press fail to understand. Hence you get articles like the one above.

Well, we shouldn't be too cruel, she can only be 16 at the oldest. Another e.g. of youth conservatism I was beating on the CBB thread... teenagers who write like accountants (and who share their tastes)....

This is my favourite, love the way it sounds like really bad advertising copy....

'Well, you can keep your ageing sounds - today's fresh-faced youth are downloading their way to something fresh and exciting. With Rupert Murdoch's networking website MySpace planning to launch a UK-specific version any minute now - giving an initial emphasis to the hugely popular and influential music section - the sound of our times will become set even more firmly in history's stone.'

Doesn't it occur to her that, y know, Indie is, like, an 'ageing sound'.... But her resentment-driven 'argument' is not about sound (or vision) at all, it's only about sales: they must be good, they SELL A LOT don't you know...

Melbourne, Orstraylya, I love Orstraylyia, it's mai favourite place in the world besides California!

The Arctic Monkeys are shithouse. another bullshit here-today gone-tomorrow crap-shit English pop genre.
    All I do now is dick around Sparks, 2006

Stuff to read on the toilet :linky

I love "a golden age of music not heard since the days of britpop".

Now, stepping over the issue of whether one hears an age, we're a fairly music- and culture-literate crowd here... so how many britpop tracks come readily to mind? For me, it's about 4. I can maybe push to ten if i concentrate on it. Not exactly teeming with brilliance.

But as K-Punk says, she cant be much past 20 at the outside... and I've got a feeling she will look back cringingly on this article for the rest of her career.

For years, everyone under the age of 25...
    There's something oddly wrong with this phrase.

it really irritates me the way in this country that indie has become a byword for drab, conservative guitar based pop, and that the indie scene by and large is a steadfastly conservative place, and yet the majority of people in to indie are completely unaware of this.

as I said in the other thread, I really think that "indie" on this side of the atlantic is a little bit different.. I mean, we definitely have our fair share of past-fucking (interpol, strokes, blah blah blahs (who I actually like a bit)), but "indie" seems also to incorporate, say, free/psych-folk, and some strains of electronic stuffz... for example, in providence at least, there is definite overlap between the kinds of kids who go to rocky indie shows (often post-hardcore type bands - that's the US meaning of "hardcore", not the uk one!), and the ones at breakcore shows and mainstream indie shows (interpol etc). and we don't have an NME really to hype up that kind of music...

Melbourne, Orstraylya, I love Orstraylyia, it's mai favourite place in the world besides California!

Indie (as it emerged in the mid-late80s) always represented bands who weren't on majors, the sorta backwash of the punk thing (as most punk bands were actually on majors, then when it went outta fashion, they lost interest so the the 'indie' non-major deal happened)

Now it refers to an allusion to a 'sound' that was once on non-major labels.
    All I do now is dick around Sparks, 2006

Stuff to read on the toilet :linky

"Well, we shouldn't be too cruel, she can only be 16 at the oldest."
    I think that's certainly worth saying. The point is, if you are too young to have heard all the bands that these new bands are taking off then they are going to sound fresh. Also, it must be annoying to have your favourite bands dismissed as rip-offs by older people saying that they've heard it before and you are going to try and justify it by any means possible (in this case sales).
    The misunderstanding that she makes is in thinking that people who are saying that they've pretty much heard it all before are harking back to the time when they heard it when (in the main) they're not, they want to hear something new.

captain easychord Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shudder
    as I said in the other thread, I really think that "indie" on this side of the atlantic is a little bit different.. I mean, we definitely have our fair share of past-fucking (interpol, strokes, blah blah blahs (who I actually like a bit)), but "indie" seems also to incorporate, say, free/psych-folk, and some strains of electronic stuffz... for example, in providence at least, there is definite overlap between the kinds of kids who go to rocky indie shows (often post-hardcore type bands - that's the US meaning of "hardcore", not the uk one!), and the ones at breakcore shows and mainstream indie shows (interpol etc). and we don't have an NME really to hype up that kind of music...
    this is definitely the truth, something i noticed over here. indie in england seems to be style-peddling, plain and simple.