Ooh, watch out Dissensus indy-rock haters!

Leo

I'm facsinated/puzzled by how Mark and Tim found the energy and time for all the elaborate rhetoric, about indie rock?

sus

as I said in the other thread, I really think that "indie" on this side of the atlantic is a little bit different.. I mean, we definitely have our fair share of past-fucking (interpol, strokes, blah blah blahs (who I actually like a bit)), but "indie" seems also to incorporate, say, free/psych-folk, and some strains of electronic stuffz... for example, in providence at least, there is definite overlap between the kinds of kids who go to rocky indie shows (often post-hardcore type bands - that's the US meaning of "hardcore", not the uk one!), and the ones at breakcore shows and mainstream indie shows (interpol etc). and we don't have an NME really to hype up that kind of music...
this is definitely the truth, something i noticed over here. indie in england seems to be style-peddling, plain and simple.
Big if true!

sus

hmmm, you sure about this?

why on earth would indie-rock feel threatened by grime? after three years of sustained support and adulation from the UK press at pretty much every level from style mags to the broadsheets and a reasonable amount of record industry interest, grime can barely propel a record into the lower reaches of the chart; the nu-Britpop romps straight in at number one.

i think it's sad that a figure like Dizzee isn't where Arctics or Franz are at, but it makes sense -- what grime is about (by and large, just as repetitious and thematically-narrow as any indie-rock band i might add) simply doesn't resonate very far beyond its own audience, which at this point seems to be not much more than other aspiring MCs...

to me it's actually the similarities (once you get past the music--grime's stalled-futurism versus AM's reenergized conservatism) between grime and the nu-Britrock that are striking .... the vitality and hunger of youth in an environment full of traps and dead-ends .... they are white and black versions, or views, of the same landscape.... neither of them have a vision of how to escape or transcend it beyond "making it"

as if to prove the parallel, the guardian girl that everyone's making fun of... clumsy writer for sure but she also did a piece on grime (kpunk linked to it) and you know what, every point in it is OTM

(except for the bit about NME championing Dizzee!!)
Great point Blissblogger.