Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Freak Waves

Quote Originally Posted by nick.K
    surfers in my experience = bad news: passive aggressive, narcissistic, territorial, just leave 'em be. the actual surfing experience is up there with skateboarding, but it's not really possible to do it in London. I'll stick to watching crystal voyager
    too right, at sixthform you could draw lines where different groups of surfers from different towns sat, aggie lot there, porthtowan there, perranporth etc, and the girls that flocked around them, and they had nothing interesting to say, they all just sat and looked over at each other.
    i was too far from the coast and too skint and skinny to do that stuff too much, spent all my cash on records anyway, and skated, which was the scuzzy, rejecting the spiritual vibe thing version, much more practical and hardline.
    Surfers ruined every party that might possibly be great with that fkin blood sugar sex album.

do you know what the experience of skating compared to snowboarding is, i really want to do that cos apparently you can get alot of speed up and one of the things i really liked about skating was maximum speed.

The first reactions of most surfers to Asia's tsunamis would be "how big are they?" and "are they ridable?"

I'm not joking. That is their perspective.

the thing i noticed about the waves in thailand was that they were not so big (think hollywood movie, or bollywood even) , but there was so many of them , kind of like a whole bunch a medium sized waves, and like the tide was coming in real quick, real quick.

the smell is supposed to be attrocious, dead cats n dogs , and humans all mixed together, a nasty brew if you ask me...
    what you know about ips, we are the top boys in ips

Quote Originally Posted by originaldrum
    the thing i noticed about the waves in thailand was that they were not so big (think hollywood movie, or bollywood even) , but there was so many of them , kind of like a whole bunch a medium sized waves, and like the tide was coming in real quick, real quick.

the smell is supposed to be attrocious, dead cats n dogs , and humans all mixed together, a nasty brew if you ask me...
    got a text message from my friend joe who is in thailand at the moment and who i've been working with over the past month. his hotel was destroyed and he had to run from the waves!!! c.fifty died. he'd got up late and missed the boat to koh pi pi where hundreds died.

whats the death toll now 100,000. its just absolutely mental. gonna dig deep and cough up a few bob. ive been to those beaches in thailand and theyre lovely. what did the us govt give? 35 million! laughable! itd buy a hotel!!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WOEBOT
    gonna dig deep and cough up a few bob.
    We just did the same. It's easy to donate online.

Canada: http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/as...e/helping.html
    UK: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4131881.stm
    US: http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapc...nami.aidsites/
    BOOK: sound/bodies // paul.autonomic deeptime.net

just awful awful scenes, should make us remember how vulneraable we are

what did the us govt give? 35 million! laughable!
    UK & others too, lamentable compared to anti-life expenditures on war & destruction

Quote Originally Posted by sufi
    UK & others too, lamentable compared to anti-life expenditures on war & destruction
    well let's hope negatives can create positives, but i'm particulary worried about the potential for the spread of viruses, there was alot of worry about the asian superbug coming thru this year, its much more possible now. terrifying.
    but the british people have dug deep of course, generous bunch really, deeper than their governments anyway.

Here in singapore you can make your donation through the atm machine - genius idea! It's impossible to withdraw 500 dollars to spend on yourself and NOT give at least an equal amount to the tsunami appeal...

Default Asian Killer Waves

The scale of this disaster is overwelming ...
    One story i rd yesterday from the Maldives was from a man who saw the high water keep rising until it was
    at his chin , at that moment all of the Maldives Islands were a few feet underwater ...
    Luckily for those who survived there , that particular wave of water didn't get higher

We also had friends there when it hit ,
    again luckily they were on the other side of Thailand .
    '
    Was glad to hear today they got one of those stranded dolphins back into the ocean ,
    the calf didn't make it through .
    They'd both been tossed by the wave inland into backed up lagoon filled with bodies , trash , sharp metal

And well yeah , the Phi Phi Islands were a refuge -sanctuary for us too at one point a few years ago .
    Fantastic place , very easy vibes there ...

What's happened boggled mind and body
    even the planet wobbled

http://www.acheh-eye.org/

My heart breaks for Aceh. So much for their fight for independence: even the sea sides against them.

i was in the maldives 2003 b4 christmas, beautiful place and lovely people, very fishlike, they catch other fish using tuna which is very expensive in europe of course.
    there are loads of fish it's a wonderland just under the surface of the water.

one funny think i kept noticing was round discs that looked alot like little tiles from a swimming pool washing up on the shore.
    this of course pricked my curiosity and i found out that every 10 years people bid off the government for lease of an island, the winner then has to demolish all the buildings and start again for the next 10 years. the discs were remnants of the pervious incarnation of the island.
    it makes me feel really sad that island is probably destroyed and all the lovely people on it could be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by mms
    it makes me feel really sad that island is probably destroyed and all the lovely people on it could be dead.
    i know how you feel, from somalia, then from darfur - it's a terrible feeling of dislocation...

the whole comparison i made btwn war expenses & relief, felt somehow uncomfortable; ugly or inappropriate, but i'm glad to see that some others have picked it up

the whole comparison i made btwn war expenses & relief, felt somehow uncomfortable; ugly or inappropriate, but i'm glad to see that some others have picked it up

Nothing inapt. about it, the bottom line is alliance govts. have forked out so much to invade and then occupy Iraq the coffers must be unusually empty...

To go back to surfing (cos, really, there's nothing more to say about what happened in Asia. It's too big to engage with), this

I hate surfers, though. Surf culture is really dismal. You know, they have this great lifestyle, and they ruin it by wearing terrible shorts and listening to rubbish like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and acting like skate-brats. Surfers laugh at people who are learning to surf, as if they stepped out from the womb and stood up on a surfboard in a 10 foot swell. They have no manners. And no style. There are civlized, smart surfers, who live enviable lives. But they're not in the majority.

Reminds me of a theory I always had - if there's ever a new Hemingway he'll be a surfer.

jus looking back to olly's comments on surfers attitude to the tsunami...
    while i was looking for canadian beer pictures, i came across this blog (?) from tofino in BC, a lovely surfer town where i was this summer,

Quote Originally Posted by ana_the_great
    First of all, I would like to, in some cynical way, thank the higher power for the catastrophic tsunami that hit the islands on Boxing Day. Don't get me wrong, it would of been way better if it never happened, but in some ways, it is about fucken time that the Americans now have no reason to bitch about the 300 people they lost well over three years ago. 300 people is nothing compared to well over 100,000 people...who were already living in poverty. So stop your bitching already. I am sick of hearing the 9/11 attack, and the 'victims' of 9/11. get over yourselves. You have no rights to bitch anymore, especially since you re-elected the idiot who has done nothing to go after the terrorists who gave you reason to bitch in the first place. And then you have all these charities cry out for help and aid, and everything in me wants to help, but I want to make sure what I give goes to where it should be going. After the whole 9/11 incident, I have been very weary of when and whom I donate too. I don't think a dime of my money should of in any way, shape, or form gone anywhere else except for medical supplies that were needed those first days in New York.

I like the word bitch today!
    not quite as callous as wot olly said but totally feckin hatstand nonetheless
    (check the rest of the site ol - you will wince & cringe)