Freak Waves

craner

Beast of Burden
Yes, Shipsterns seems to be the place, but there are other Oz reefs too. Shit, must find that magazine again...

craner

Beast of Burden
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2002/freakwavetrans.shtml

NARRATOR: But the Caledonian Star was lucky. Her engines were still working. The crew boarded up the windows and eventually the ship limped back to port, but another ship out at sea at that time was less fortunate. The Bremen was a German cruise liner. Again she was built to withstand anything the South Atlantic could throw at her. On board were 137 tourists. They too were hit by a giant 30m wave which devastated the bridge.

CAPT HEINZ AYE (MS Bremen): The bridge wasn't operable. All the nautical tools, instruments, the whole electronics failed immediately with the break-in of seawater.

NARRATOR: Everything including radar equipment, weather faxes, ventilator, alarms, everything malfunctioned. All the instruments short-circuited, the steering gear failed completely. The ship was in distress, not manoeuvrable, but unlike the Caledonian Star the Bremen also lost her engines. The ship and all on board were now in desperate trouble. Unable to power her way through the sea the ship drifted side on to the waves exposing her weakest parts.

REINHARD FISCH (Chief Engineer MS Bremen): When the engine failed the ship lay transversely to the sea and the sea rolled crossways to the ship against the big windows of the restaurant.

NARRATOR: This was the worst situation possible. The restaurant windows are extremely weak. If they were hit by any large wave water would flood in and the ship would sink.

REINHARD FISCH (WITH TRANSLATION): We would have capsized. It would have broken through or smashed the windows.

NARRATOR: It was now a race against time. To turn the ship away from the waves they desperately needed to restart the engine, but the starter generator was in pieces on the floor. If they couldn't start the engine the ship and everyone on her was doomed.

REINHARD FISCH: We came from the Antarctic and had nearly zero degree water temperature and the air temperature was the same. In those high sea conditions it wouldn't have been possible to put lifeboats of life jackets or life rafts in the water. As well as that, the passengers we sail with aren't the youngest anymore. I doubt any of us would have survived.

NARRATOR: So in dark, rolling seas they set to repairing the engine. All the time the waves were smashing against the windows and then they got lucky. The engine finally started.

REINHARD FISCH: Then for the first time I had hope we would make it. There are wonderful moments when you know everything works normally again.

:eek:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

But then, as if out of nowhere, a spot appeared on the horizon - an island that shouldn't have been there at all!

rlyeh.jpg

craner

Beast of Burden
So on Monday I spent a long time watching youtube clips of freak waves smashing into massive ships, which I found a bit weird, and slightly worrying. When I anxiously disclosed this information to a work colleague, he told me that he'd once spent a disturbing number of hours on youtube watching footage of air disasters. I think we both need CBT.

So on Monday I spent a long time watching youtube clips of freak waves smashing into massive ships, which I found a bit weird, and slightly worrying. When I anxiously disclosed this information to a work colleague, he told me that he'd once spent a disturbing number of hours on youtube watching footage of air disasters. I think we both need CBT.

I've done the same with atomic bomb tests, I love the way the blast rebounds off the ground and pushes the rising fireball spinning into itself. Awesome.

Or the way the Baker test throws big old warships, probably packed with pigs and horses, around like matchsticks. Check out how the blast wave bounces off the destroyer to the right....

Topically, it counts as a freak wave video
Ahem.

Last edited:

mister matthew

So on Monday I spent a long time watching youtube clips of freak waves smashing into massive ships

spent this afternoon doing the same thanks to your post! then reading about "rogue waves" on wikipedia.

have since decided that a life at sea is not for me. in fact not sure i'd risk a dover-calais/rowing boat in the park anymore :eek:

terrifying and awe inspiring in equal measures

craner

Beast of Burden
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

craner

Beast of Burden
Tasmania, this year.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

scottdisco

rip this joint please
obv could do w out the daft Auntie attempt at reconstruction but the eye-witness accounts and the coast-guard radio archive from about 3' 19", wow

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

A megatsunami is defined as a wave reaching more than 100 meters (328 feet) in the deep ocean. The highest wave ever recorded occurred on July 9, 1958 in Lituya Bay, Alaska reaching a height of 516 meters (1,720 feet), 470 feet taller than the Empire State Building.

craner

Beast of Burden
This has to be one of the oldest Dissensus threads still running. 5 years young! I'm proud.

craner

Beast of Burden
For the 5th time on this thread, for Olde Time's sake, I never get board (bored! ha ha! geddit?) of this man or his Wave, and I dig his wife's impersonation of him, and for those who haven't seen it and don't appreciate the vast beauty of this sport, if it is actually "sport":

This is also the 2nd best surf movie ever made.*

* Big Wednesday is the 1st.

craner

Beast of Burden
Watching that wave on a big screen at the end of 2004 in a cinema off Picadilly Circus after work was seriously spellbinding. I could barely walk coming out of the Trocadero.

craner

Beast of Burden
The great old guys, for context:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>