Freak Waves

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
moving images from 0:50 onwards. it's totally alien isn't it? i guess this is how flora and fauna have spread intercontinental?

mvuent

Void Dweller
was really happy about this scene when I saw it in theaters. that exact image @2:23-2:30 has been a phobia of mine forever, so I guess it was just nice to see someone else felt the same way.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I had a dream at the weekend in which I was on a beach with these huge waves coming in more regularly than would be possible IRL, and on the distant horizon huge mountain peaks. And then last night I dreamt of huge, impossibly steep mountain peaks. These landscapes reoccur in my dreams. Impossible waves, impossible mountains.

There's something dreamlike about that Interstellar scene too - the heavy gravity making it impossible to run fast, like all those dreams where it's impossible to run fast.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What I said upthread about the surfer vs man = essence of sublime

I sort of think it's actually MORE sublime when there ISN'T a man thumbing his nose at nature by hanging ten up its nose

Tiny-lighthouse-between-giant-waves.jpg

Waves are beautiful and terrifying, like women

Amazing photo, thanks CORP$!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Later this afternoon gonna go to the beach in Sesimbra, the beach was formed by lava cooling and it has a strange shape, it gets deep pretty quickly and the waves are pretty fucking big as far as I can tell (obviously not like in the picture above). Last time we went there we just waded out and they come in and throw you around properly upside down spinning out of control, you don't know which way is up or down. Eventually it sorta spits you out on the beach winded with your swimming clothes filled up with sand, winded, spitting out sea water... it's cool. Maybe dangerous I dunno really.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Gave me new found kinda understanding of the power of those massive waves. I mean, if one that is just a bit above my head can throw me around like a toy then what must one of those massive fuckers be like?

IdleRich

IdleRich
When they measure waves by height do they quote the biggest height or what? Also how measured, is it crest to trough or is it height above sea level or what?

You might like this but maybe not cos you hate Ireland and the music isnt your thing

I worked with the kiwi guy who made it on a short cycling film for a charity thing a few years back. He let me fly his drone and i hung out the back of a van he was driving around hampshire filming cyclists, was a great day.