Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is Kodwo?

Quote Originally Posted by lazybones View Post
    just searched for more brilliant than the sun on amazon as i was thinking of purchasing a second copy... seems its out of print and going for 470 quid used??!!!
    I have a question about the chronology of Eshun's work. How influential was he by the time of the publication of More Brilliant Than The Sun? Had he been known since the days of jungle, or before, or was it with this book that he made his mark? When did people first become aware of his writings? Apologies if this is a naive question, it's one that I've never been quite clear on. The book came out in the summer of 1999, correct? Was there any criticism of it, or was it basically greeted with universal praise (which is the impression one gets from online dance music people)? How did Africanists react to it? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about its initial reception or his prominence beforehand. He had been writing for iD, The Wire, and The Face,, and others before the book. The last chapter was published first by CCRU. I've seen criticism of him in Pop Music Studies and CultStud writing over his methodology and playfulness, which completely misses the point since he says up front that his project is to focus on experiential realms that academics and journalists chronically ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    I'm not sure about its initial reception or his prominence beforehand. He had been writing for iD, The Wire, and The Face,, and others before the book. The last chapter was published first by CCRU. I've seen criticism of him in Pop Music Studies and CultStud writing over his methodology and playfulness, which completely misses the point since he says up front that his project is to focus on experiential realms that academics and journalists chronically ignore.
    Thanks, Paul, perfect, that was exactly what I wanted to know. Of course if any others have additions or insights, it might be nice to hear them . . . he seems to be such a massive presence/influence on electronic music thinkers/writers/fans . . . more historical context is always helpful.

just searched for more brilliant than the sun on amazon as i was thinking of purchasing a second copy... seems its out of print and going for 470 quid used??!!!

play.com claim to have it for 7

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/3...shun+brilliant

i looked on abe books and they had one for $330.

how has it happened that such an important text has been allowed to fall out of print?

i'm really suprised its going for so much now, surely a reprint is due?? I only got it a year or so ago, so i'm quite pleased to have gotten hold of a copy! Mind , at the time i had no idea who he was , just thought any book pertaining to drexciya would be a good read!

play are out of stock now

guess i'll have to take out insurance on mine.

i'd be very curious to read some of the criticism on him, could anyone please post some links???[cheers]

never really found any magazines completely suited to my taste, id can have some good articles but alot of fluff and nonsense too.... not read the face before, http://www.shift4ward.com/images/the_face_cover.jpg is enough to put me off for life though! [ or am i jumping to conclusions? ]

i really feel the wire is lacking something, seems to be concentrating so much much on new/wierd americana/folk and free jazz... which is all well and good but the feature articles have been quite a let down as of late, besides SR's one on hauntology.. and they were so so late on dubstep... . that said every so often a really fantastic piece comes along that restores my faith in the magazine. looking forward to stelfox on southern hip hop!

what was the nature of kodwo's writing for id/the face/wire?? are any articles floating about the net??

sorry for posing so many questions!

Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    play.com claim to have it for 7

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/3...shun+brilliant

i looked on abe books and they had one for $330.
    Not to turn this into a price chronicle, but round these parts Amazon Canada has it for $1,258.00!! http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listin...527407-2005964

I cannot for the life of me imagine the human being that would spend $1.2K on a paperback book.

i think ebay is a more realistic barometer here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...3513&rd=1&rd=1

i doubt any copies have been sold for the price quoted on amazon.

never really found any magazines completely suited to my taste, id can have some good articles but alot of fluff and nonsense too.... not read the face before, http://www.shift4ward.com/images/the_face_cover.jpg is enough to put me off for life though! [ or am i jumping to conclusions? ]
    I don't even remember that cover, but late-period Face was weird like that. The Face is a magazine that, while I liked to diss it back in the day ('the day' for me being about 2000), I really do miss it now it's gone.

In its last few years it was pretty much the best Smash Hits possible, and I mean that in a positive way. Very poppy, very about fashion spreads (with some great photography, but I suppose we still have POP), and the very occasional good article. Yeah, I liked it, and that whole 'lifestyle' mag market just isn't the same now. Some would say that's a good thing.

Not really a proper sighting but I went to this last night which had a showing of "The Last Angel of History" - which contains several interviews with Mr Eshun and is pretty much an easy-access version of "More Brilliant Than Sun". No mention of Kraftwerk getting buggered by their own bicycles though.

i got a chance to see it recently too. derrick may sure comes off as a pompous twat in that doesn't he? especially with his comments to gerald at the end, about him selling his soul to a major label or something. i like how they follow his clip with a track from gerald's black secret technology.
    Last edited by nomos; 18-12-2006 at 04:28 PM.

Derrick May does indeed seem to be a bit of a tosser in this - trying way too hard to be cool. But according to Reynolds, he hates acid house, jungle, etc.

Where as Gerald comes across as gentle, vulnerable even.

The thing about that doco is that it's all about music... but there's not that much music in it.

However Mad Mike (assuming it is him) in his ninja gear lurking behind Juan Atkins is bloogy hilarious.

And what did happen to Goldie's career anyways?

Default stewart home pamphlets

available outside UK

for europe try
    http://stewarthomesociety.org/shsale.htm
    contact - mebbe can snd usa/welt

or
    try berlin shop
    http://pickledfeet.com/shop.php

sh also in our
    http://1010.co.uk/xxxxx_publication.html

Mad props to my mate Dave for returning my signed copy of More Brilliant after eight years or so. Cheers Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by tate View Post
    I have a question about the chronology of Eshun's work. How influential was he by the time of the publication of More Brilliant Than The Sun? Had he been known since the days of jungle, or before, or was it with this book that he made his mark? When did people first become aware of his writings? Apologies if this is a naive question, it's one that I've never been quite clear on. The book came out in the summer of 1999, correct? Was there any criticism of it, or was it basically greeted with universal praise (which is the impression one gets from online dance music people)? How did Africanists react to it? Thanks in advance.
    He also used write for Melody Maker in the mid90s, often in the Orbit dance music section. His jungle 12" reviews, along with Reynolds', were always excellent.

This should get you all going, then.