Where is Kodwo?

john eden

male pale and stale
some kodwo youtube bits from the audio poverty festival in berlin this weekend are now up:

http://audiopoverty.de/

(Friday he did a talk with kode9, Saturday he was on a panel with rupture and awesometapesfromafrica, which I moderated :cool:)

He is in fine form!

craner

Beast of Burden
Back in 1999 I interviewed the lovely folks from Add N To X and mentioned More Brilliant Than the Sun to them and they flipped: "ah, yes, Kojo, he speaks his own language!" I mean, it is dated now, but no reason for him to gag. He single-handedly redeemed George Russell!

whatever

Back in 1999 I interviewed the lovely folks from Add N To X and mentioned More Brilliant Than the Sun to them and they flipped: "ah, yes, Kojo, he speaks his own language!" I mean, it is dated now, but no reason for him to gag. He single-handedly redeemed George Russell!
You're totally right, gag = wrong word. 'embarrassed' maybe ? ... anyway, I really wanted to like that book, I had already fallen in love with it by the time I opened it (bit backwards there), and then upon reading it, I felt ripped off by teh interwebs : are you freaking kidding me? *this* is what the fuss is about??? !!! this is gibberish ! jeeesh . etc .

obv there are a few good ideas there but they could have been explained in fifteen pages and the whole gibberish neologizing sci fi sonic fictions angle is stooooooopid in my opinion and quite obviously a cover for a lack of more substantive ideas or analysis . and painful to read! etc . Not surprised he's a top chap though, seems like an interesting fellow

craner

Beast of Burden
Wow, that's about as controversial as you can get on Dissensus! I can defend George W. Bush, but even I would blanche at slagging Kodwo here! You've got guts, mate.

whatever

Wow, that's about as controversial as you can get on Dissensus! I can defend George W. Bush, but even I would blanche at slagging Kodwo here! You've got guts, mate.
2 keep faithful 2 yr analogy, BRING IT ON ima ready 4 it :p

No, seriously though, let's pull out some text and talk about MBTTS. I'd be happy to put on my serious hat for a minute and school/be schooled. I'm full of love, promise, though the inverse of love is something like contempt ...

john eden

male pale and stale
the main bit I remember from the book is the section where racial perceptions get completely mashed up - "goldie thought doc scott was going to be black, mike banks thought dego was going to be white" etc.

I think that is pretty great. I haven't read it for a while but I remember it making me excited - both about the ideas and the music.

I'm not known for my love of theorising for the sake of it and have been accused of anti-intellectualism, but I think Kodwo is ace.

zhao

there are no accidents
the main bit I remember from the book is the section where racial perceptions get completely mashed up - "goldie thought doc scott was going to be black, mike banks thought dego was going to be white" etc.

i thought Drexia were black. :eek:

mms

sometimes
i thought Drexia were black. :eek:

drexciya are a mutated race.

mike banks isn't in drexciya he's in UR, he's a human.

I thought this book was excellent when i got it, so much fun to read as well if you like reading science fiction, bought some life into people i love, and also the bit which people complain about ' making words up':p are part of the discourse and language of the music anyway, from ur to funkadelic.
can't have another record collectors guide to black music, fuck that.

Last edited:

pajbre

been making my way through the book he & anjalika sangar did on the black audio film collective... crazy lavish book and the essays & photography are quality.

anyone been able to catch the otolith trilogy?

xero

was minusone
Kodwo was doing an intro talk at a screening of 'Los Angeles Plays Itself' at the Barbican a month or so ago but he didn't make it in time to speak before the film so he spoke at the end. Unfortunately because the film is very long almost everone was leaving the cinema while he started his talk including me.

I think the Eshun's are posh camp Ghanaian rather than Nigerian as someone said upthread