Where is Kodwo?

Ach!

Turd on the Run
http://www.mediamatic.net/page/45569/en

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nomos

Administrator

Whereas ACOUSTIC REFRACTIONS - the first "Powered by KORE" instrument from Jeremiah Savage - took its inspiration from everyday items and situations, SONIC FICTION uses concepts and scenarios from the world of science fiction as its creative source. Jeremiah's passion for the philosophical hypotheses in the best of sci-fi literature and film translates into 100 evocative, otherworldly and yet always highly-playable instruments, with 800 individual sound variations.

:mad:

dd528

Evening all.

Only just stumbled across these boards today whilst on the lookout for some African house, but I saw this thread and thought I'd better register.

I came across Kodwo Eshun's work fairly recently and managed to scope a few of his articles online. I was interested in checking out More Brilliant Than The Sun, but as Sick Boy points out, second-hand prices are ridiculous at the moment.

Anyway, long story short, after failing to track down a copy in any bookshops I got in touch with Quartet Books who published the 10th Anniversay UK Edition in '98 to see if there was any word on a reissue or anything like that. I got this short-but-sweet email back:

We are hoping to include a new Introduction and are waiting on the author. Hopefully we’ll have a new re-issue date soon.

So, yeah, good news I guess. Also, the book is still in print in German for anyone who speaks that fine language. There's a German digital edition too if I recall, but I don't have the link saved.

Quartet don't have a mailing list, but they have a Twitter (here) for anyone who's into that.

peace.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I came across Kodwo Eshun's work fairly recently and managed to scope a few of his articles online. I was interested in checking out More Brilliant Than The Sun, but as Sick Boy points out, second-hand prices are ridiculous at the moment.

I know...I sold one...:D

luka

i think its a fun book. a bit silly but thats why its fun. i wish there was more books like it.
he seroiusly lost the plot after that though, trying be an art critic or something, whats all that about?

luka

i guess the kindest thing you could say is that it was a pragmatic careerist choice...
its a shame though, we need more quixotic people.

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
i think - and my blood ran cold when I realised this - that I gave my copy to a charity shop about 2 weeks ago.
(gonna to have to go and buy it back and hope they have NO idea what it's worth)

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Kodwo's Otolith Group (his art vehicle with Anjalika Sagar) has just made a film which is based around Drexicya. It's good, all Drexciyans will like it.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
It's called Hydra Decapita. It's finished now, but hasn't been shown yet. I imagine it'll be shown at various galleries, hopefully coming to London soon-ish (shame, but no DVD or video release is being planned)

(Self promotion: there's an article about the film + interview with Kodwo and Anjalika in the forthcoming November issue of The Wire)

grizzleb

Amazing news about the drexciya film. It's almost surprising that something like this hasn't been done before, considering the strength of the mythos.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Yeah, it's an absorbing watch for my money. The whole Drexciya thing is so cinematic, you wonder why it's not been broached before.

I should point out that the film is in no sense a documentary or a history of Drexciya. Quite the opposite.