Where is Kodwo?

catalog

these look really good thanks. i vaguely remember thinking 'more brilliant than the sun' had some good bits, but i mostly skim read it and can't really remember much of it now at all.

him and anjalika sagar are doing some talk for their new film and it's tomorrow night

catalog

yeah i saw that as well but couldn't do it, plus never seen that film. there's this as well and this but i've not watched either. you've gotta be in the right mood. i do love how he talks tho, so many tangents, so quietly

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Kodwo succeeds in sweeping you out of your mind and into his. Same with the other couple talks of his I've watched. He described the documentary as "post-cinematic" in that it was entirely constructed out of pre-existing footage. Ototlith seems like an entity that is insulated in the archive, focusing on history and potential futures in interesting ways.

edit: that is, potential futures which were truncated or cancelled in some way.

catalog

Kodwo succeeds in sweeping you out of your mind and into his. Same with the other couple talks of his I've watched. He described the documentary as "post-cinematic" in that it was entirely constructed out of pre-existing footage. Ototlith seems like an entity that is insulated in the archive, focusing on history and potential futures in interesting ways.

edit: that is, potential futures which were truncated or cancelled in some way.
yeah you get into his rhythm, it's like going into a long twisty tunnel or something. there was one i watched all about a Senegalese filmmaker, it was about one of his films specifically, but he sort of went into it in very minute detail and then came out again, related it to European exploitation of Africa. Very good talk, but I couldn't find a decent copy of the film anywhere.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Finished the talk about Instant Ancestry, there were some interesting bits, but overall the conversation just kinda meandered - which worked on one level.

Cool hearing Kodwo talk about his teenage years frequenting the movie theater alone, seeing two or three in a row for a low price, reflecting on them.

Also makes me want to learn more about Kwame Nkrumah, since Kodwo explored late 50s / early 60s Ghana as a people looking to a future that never materialized, and is largely commemorated only by this set of postal stamps that was issued around that time. Naturally he brings in the futurism, but that wasn't really focused on here.