Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the Long Good Friday

[QUOTE=puretokyo]What about, er, Performance? The first half, at least, was very very very trad-hardcore-English-gangster. And the scene with Mick making a song in the makeshift studio was startling.

the whole thing is my favorite film of all time, but the first 1/3 in gangsterland is my favorite part of it. Time Out guide to film, idiotically, complains about the mannered camera-work (as they do with most of Nic Roeg's movies). i can perform, to joy's annoyance, long swathes of the dialogue, complete with accent and intonation.

the music's incredible too, that Merry wossname as also heard on 'Gimme Shelter'

>As for the Long Good Friday, my burning memory from that film is Pierce Brosnan's face as he holds the >pistol in the car at the end. Unbelievable - the man was ridiculously handsome and had incredible >presence and intensity in the role. Great stuff.

ah but isn't he eclipsed in that very scene by Hoskins at his most nostril-flared bull-like, emotions of cornered-ness, defiance and finally resignation playing briliantly across his face?
    The-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-sp!!!!

[QUOTE=puretokyo]What about, er, Performance? The first half, at least, was very very very trad-hardcore-English-gangster. And the scene with Mick making a song in the makeshift studio was startling.

the whole thing is my favorite film of all time, but the first 1/3 in gangsterland is my favorite part of it. Time Out guide to film, idiotically, complains about the mannered camera-work (as they do with most of Nic Roeg's movies). i can perform, to joy's annoyance, long swathes of the dialogue, complete with accent and intonation.

the music's incredible too, that Merry wossname as also heard on 'Gimme Shelter'

>As for the Long Good Friday, my burning memory from that film is Pierce Brosnan's face as he holds the >pistol in the car at the end. Unbelievable - the man was ridiculously handsome and had incredible >presence and intensity in the role. Great stuff.

ah but isn't he eclipsed in that very scene by Hoskins at his most nostril-flared bull-like, emotions of cornered-ness, defiance and finally resignation playing briliantly across his face?
    The-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-sp!!!!

Default Funny nobody mentioned The Krays

Had one or two good scenes with the Spandau boys, espec. the one in the pool hall. Ouch.

The first half of Performance was great, once he reaches Jagger it goes quickly downhill, except for the Memo From Turner bit. Early music video?

The Hit was great, as well -- first chance we had in the States to see Tim Roth in action. Wanted to see Hurt make in the end, though. That might be why the last half hour of Collateral was so stoopid. When you make the villians more likeable than the rest, of course you're going to wish they get away with it.

I hate happy endings.

Omaar Guest

Agree with blissblogger, that long shot(s?) of Bob Hoskins at the end of LGF where his expression reflects his changing state is amazing, I've only seen it once but the scene had a big impact on me.