youtube

bruno

est malade
just discovered this a week ago (late, i know). amazed at what is available and amazed that a format as stupid as flash video is being used in 2006. you can't even fast forward on vlc!

anyway, here is the cute cheburashka, the resurrected mascot for the russian olympic team.

post your links if you find anything dissensus-worthy!

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
no specific links. But it's excellent for all the stuff that was not on MTV or not
shown on domestic telly in Scandinavia ("when I was a lad").
great for videos, TV appeareances, live performances of tracks I've heard,
but never seen - like Joy Division, Dead Can Dance, Japan, John Foxx and
there's even some Einsturzende Neubauten etc etc.
It probably breaks every copyright law in the land - but it's great (if you have
a good network connection - I think YouTube has gone slower over the last couple of
weeks?).

Last edited:

Rambler

Awanturnik
Today I've been enjoying this clip of Delia Derbyshire:
On the same page is a link to a 180MB BBC4 documentary on the Radiophonic Workshop, which includes some ace photos, footage and sounds, if you can handle a 180MB download...

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
As far as I know Cheburashka has nothing to do with the olympic mascot. The mascot was a bear, Cheburashka is just a weird cartoon animal (who is not in the dictionary).

What about Google video. I haven't really dug deep into it but how different is it from youtube?

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Rambler said:
Today I've been enjoying this clip of Delia Derbyshire:
On the same page is a link to a 180MB BBC4 documentary on the Radiophonic Workshop, which includes some ace photos, footage and sounds, if you can handle a 180MB download...

Ahh yes well worth the download if you haven't seen it.
I did a write-up/review of this programme after it was aired

Tape loops all around in Alchemists: different sounds recorded on analogue tape, loops hanging off pegs on the wall (like rolls of film being processed), tape loops cut by scissors in precise lengths and then joined — tape loops slowed down, sped up, reverse played and echoed to create the music of the future. One slice of music made my jaw drop — a structured piece with plenty of rhythm pointing directly to the synthpop to come 20 years later.

An omnipresent bearded man (the original radiophonic producer?), all clocks in sight on 7:58 (19:58), a 30-second musical sequence or so with the text "Your television is now a radio", a little detective story and the bold inclusion of the creators of “Look Around You” (spoof retro educational program) made sure that this was never boring television.

jenks

thread death
blissblog has got a direct link to PiL on utube - from TOTP doing Death Disco.

Unfortunately when i tried to play it it kept on freezing - still rather exhilerating in a stop/start kind of way.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
jenks said:
Unfortunately when i tried to play it it kept on freezing - still rather exhilerating in a stop/start kind of way.
The trick seems to be to kick off the video you wanna watch, have a cup of tea/go to the fridge for another beer, come back and hit the REPLAY button (or in short - cache the bloody content, not sure how you download these though - this is the sort of short content I would want to watch if I had a little gadget to watch movies on).

bruno

est malade
Ness Rowlah said:
The trick seems to be to kick off the video you wanna watch, have a cup of tea/go to the fridge for another beer, come back and hit the REPLAY button (or in short - cache the bloody content, not sure how you download these though - this is the sort of short content I would want to watch if I had a little gadget to watch movies on).

if you're on os x, in safari there is an activity window. look for the link that matches the filesize, copy and paste it into your browser and hit enter, it should download nicely.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
here we go - the bloody plebs of the British Phucking Idiots at the BPI is on
the case claiming
that the youtube stuff is piracy and that the record labels
own the clips (even concert footage? do the artists really sign this off as well
when they sign on that dotted line?).

The concept of copyright for this kind of stuff is just silly -
if I want to see Alice Cooper plastered on stage in 1972
it does not affect a single sale of ANYTHING.

The British Phonographic Industry insists all these videos breach copyright law and says they will "rigorously" seek to have them removed from Web sites with the threat of legal action against service providers who refuse.

A spokesperson said: "Our policy is to prosecute in cases of file-sharing of music and that would be the case where bootleg videos of concerts were also being illegally distributed. Record companies own the copyright of any filming done at concerts, and it is illegal to post such footage on the Internet.

"Tackling the illegal distribution of music as audio and video on the Internet is a priority at present and we will rigorously try to have the material removed."

hint

party record with a siren
Yeah - more and more stuff is getting removed these days, often very quickly. Even things such as the trailer for Snakes On A Plane!

The Youtube honeymoon is over. :(

Rambler

Awanturnik
BPI - hey, here's a huge new market for rare video footage that has cost us nothing to create.... why ... don't ... we....

Squirrel it away from the rest of the world so that no one can see it ever while keep flogging Arctic Monkeys CDs.

vernoncrane

garrett dweller
agggh..its sickening isn't it... they wont let us have anything for free will they... and lets be frank, if that PIL top of the pops performance of Flowers Of Romance, for example, belongs to anyone, it belongs by moral right to those who loved it and whose lives it changed.. those who valued it enough to preserve it and those who now wish to revisit it.. those to whom it was essential... a profound, shared moment...but no, that cant be offered from one acolyte to another, as a gift, donated to the common weal.. oh no... not while someone might be able to repackage it and get yet more of your hard-earned cash off you....it damages them, it enrages them because where there is passion and love for something and an exchange occuring outside their remit they glimpse lives lived beyond their control, beyond their values.....

'scuse me a moment...GARRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

robin

the trick to it not stopping and starting is to pause it when it starts loading,then leave it a bit,you'll see the grey bar fill up,then press play