vimothy

yurp
Yeah, I can see that. I guess for me it was more the shock of the new--I was just a little punk, basically, going through the usual pseudo-intellectual clichés. I don't think it had ever occurred to me that people like that were really people.

vimothy

yurp
I mean, didn't America rule the world? Didn't assholes rule America? It was hard to see how the views of those people could be of value, let alone sympathetic.

luka

the other thing that oliver craner said that was of great vaule to m was here on dissensus. he essentially said 'forerign policy is self-interest' thats the point of it. that was a mini-turning point for me.

luka

but i think its easy to be so ashamed of your former gaucherie that you do an about turn. i think thats equally gauche. im not accusing you of doing that incidently.

vimothy

yurp
I think there's a lot of truth to that. I love those little epiphanic moments when something suddenly makes sense--that's why I enjoy maths so much.

I think it can be hard for people to accept that definition though, because the idea that we're a distinct group of people with distinct interests seems strange and irrational. Our border is just an arbitrary line on a map, so why should our foreign policy seek to benefit one arbitrary group of people at the expense of another?

luka

look vimothy im very glad ive had a chance you have this conversation but im getting increasingly drunk and im not sure i can maintain this level of lucidity. thank you for being open with me.

vimothy

yurp
It's certainly a valid point. So how do you deal with it? I'm not sure. I guess you have to trust in your own sincerity--it's hard to know on what other terms you could proceed. Not being ashamed of your own past is an important part of that. Everyone struggles to come to an understanding of the world, and no one succeeds in a complete sense. So failing at this a part of your humanity.

The other thing is, at some point, you've done so many about turns it's hard to remember what direction you were originally facing, and it becomes less important.

vimothy

yurp
Drunk, eh. I feel used. Er, and jealous. I've just spent the whole night sat in the library revising, so I could probably fall asleep at any minute anyway. Been a nice chat though.

luka

and its just got to the point where i dont feel capable of being intelligent any more.

luka

i find it inspirational tea actually. its the main thing i use twitter for. id urge you to get into it.