IdleRich

IdleRich
I think luka's quite into it, predictably.

Apparently the passing of the scheduled date for the release of a video showing Hillary Clinton cutting off a child's face has done little to dent the number of people who believe all of it. I still see little hand-written stickers with "research #Qanan" on them stuck to zebra crossings and stuff like that. Some of them look like they're pretty recent.
You see these stickers in the UK? Nuts.
I've found it too depressing to read about this guy who killed himself but a while back I read about a shooting-denial guy whose own child (or children) were killed in a school shooting causing him to understand what he'd been doing and change his position one hundred and eighty degrees. It's one of the nastiest conspiracies I think cos it attacks a really vulnerable group. I hate fucking Alex Jones who wants to have it both ways by spouting all this shite and then claiming it's a character when he's called out on it. Twat. I totally hope he gets gunned down by a random guy going postal.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You see these stickers in the UK? Nuts.

Yeah, they're here and there. Although I remember seeing graf on a bus shelter in Oxford that said "Google 'lemon party'", I think with some other text implying it was some radical political thing, so you can't really rule out the traditional British love of pisstakery, trolling and wind-up.

version

I think even the most disturbing conspiracy theories are essentially comforting, it's the absence of structure and order that really scares people deep down.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh absolutely. I think I read once something along the lines of "People who've given up faith in God will still believe in the Devil rather than nothing at all."

version

Tom Cruise keeps doing increasingly outlandish stunts in the Mission Impossible films because he's being held prisoner by the Church of Scientology, they only allow him out to do film work and press events and he's hoping that he'll die during one of them. That or he's being blackmailed into doing them in order to keep making money for the organisation.

luka

I think even the most disturbing conspiracy theories are essentially comforting, it's the absence of structure and order that really scares people deep down.

This cliché gets wheeled out on dissenus roughly once a fortnight. It's clearly not true and it's certainly not original.

luka

Please refer back to all the previous times I've groaned over this complacent, self congratulatory cliché

luka

On dissensus. It's just the sort of thing people parrot without thinking cos it makes them feel superior.

droid

Cliche it may be, but I wouldn't be so fast to dismiss it. People constantly search for meaning in the face of complexity and seeming randomness. Its one of the defining characteristics of humanity.

version

Cliche it may be, but I wouldn't be so fast to dismiss it. People constantly search for meaning in the face of complexity and seeming randomness. Its one of the defining characteristics of humanity.

Yeah, that's how it appears to me. Everyone wants to know what's going on, to have a structure. You see it all the time, people saying they know who's going to win a football match, who's going to win the election, making predictions and so on.