thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Bollocks. Half the music on here wouldn't exist without it. What would black music be without love, religion and superstition? What would most electronic music be without black music? What would most 20th century Western music be without black music?

There's a difference between saying love doesn't exist as some kind of weirdo psycho-sexual reaction or feudal nostalgia and saying we don't believe in it is there.

and similarly the opposition to love doesn't have to be hate does it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
anyhow my point was put more concretely that fyodor was looking at from the perspective where art was relligated to serving as a buffer zone between modifications to nature and the politics resulting from therein. I.E: for the status of art itself to be art.

My argument is far more artistic: I'm saying art should be organically unified with science as the species wide master creation, I.E: for the destruction of art as a separate sphere to daily life. you can't live art so long as it is defined as art proper. this is why the dissensus framework rejects love.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
was actually just taking the piss, about how the dissensus massive probably aren't a bunch of highly-competitive, high-achieving type-A personalities.

Certainly not the 'high-achieving' bit. Not sure about the rest.

Leo

Certainly not the 'high-achieving' bit. Not sure about the rest.

stubbornly arguing a point is a form of competition, I suppose. most of it is more pontificating versus competing, tho.

sorry for the digression, patty, we're still not focusing on your actual comment and link. my bad.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
patty this is a good place to start chief

these people are the most virtuous. this is the dissensus framework. forget ideological subversion this is the hardcore shit.

DannyL

Wild Horses
well yeah that was 1992 not 2019. we discussed this in the beyond soul thread.

I don't know what you mean? Not following yr reference sorry.

In general I think the Left needs to be more aware of emotion, love being an important one 'cos it makes people uncomfortable to talk about.

Leo

don't the left generally get criticized for be TOO emotional, sensitive, touchy-feely? the old line here is "democrats fall in love, republicans fall in line."

DannyL

Wild Horses
I know what you mean - "snowflakes" that kind of thing? I had it mind the Left as is, though, the political Left. It seems very untethered from emotion to me, whereas the Right is really good at channelling it. Lots of anger, narratives of betrayal etc.

The populist Left do get a lot of hate going on actually on reflection, in the UK - hate the Tories, hate the bankers but most of all hate the centrists and Blairites - but less so the positive, inspiring, optimistic emotions.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know what you mean - "snowflakes" that kind of thing? I had it mind the Left as is, though, the political Left. It seems very untethered from emotion to me, whereas the Right is really good at channelling it. Lots of anger, narratives of betrayal etc.

The populist Left do get a lot of hate going on actually on reflection, in the UK - hate the Tories, hate the bankers but most of all hate the centrists and Blairites - but less so the positive, inspiring, optimistic emotions.

Yeah, sounds about right - it's the old U-shaped graph thing, innit. The emotional level cranks further and further up as you move away from the centre towards either extreme.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think what you want is the inspiring stuff though. I don't know where it fits on the graph but a politics that excites and engages seems to me to be where it's at - I think Trump does that, as wel as delivering the satisfactions of catharsis via hateful screaming, allying with a bully etc. He's an emotional genius really. Corbyn had this quality in a different form (excitement, optimism) in 2017, though it's long gone.

DannyL

Wild Horses
People who talk about revolution and class struggle without referring explicitly to everyday life, without understanding what is subversive about love and what is positive in the refusal of constraints, such people have a corpse in their mouth. Raoul Vaneigem.

version

There's some conspiracy theory that "postmodernism" and all the stuff the Jordan Peterson-types rail against is actually an elaborate Russian destabilsation campaign which started decades ago. There's a video of some bloke claiming to be ex-KGB talking about it with hundreds of comments from right wingers saying how right he was.