version

I can't blame people for their scepticism. How can you trust anything? There are huge numbers of people lying and faking things at any given moment.

Leo

I don't mind conspiracy theories that contain an element of potential plausibility, can't stand those like that one that are just a wackadoodle stew of nonsense.

Leo

I hope a COVID vaccine is developed and all the anti-vaxxers are faced with remaining pure or death. see what happens then.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
had a pretty rude awakening about my own magical thinking during these last few months. it was definitely a grasp at forcing sense and logic onto things which contain none. there are of course plenty of true conspiracies. some beyond movie level. reality stranger than fiction etc. but internet plus the weed is the perfect crockpot for cultivating mad connections between whatever you want pretty much. now that i think of it, i think it's since i knocked the weed on the head that it's started to calm down. hmmm

maybe the real conspiracy is to have everyone stoned and constantly feed them little conspiracy breadcrumbs through fake social media accounts and allow them to grow and mutate on their own as they tend to do. that way you keep them off the real scent. the fact that the world is really ran by a secret order of master bakers who hold the recipe to the baguette of eternal youth

Last edited:

catalog

I read a bit of that AMA with him you posted the other day, and it seemed pretty sensible. I don't know if I like bill gates, but I know I prefer him to mark Zuckerberg.

version

Something which drives me nuts is people realising they can't always trust the mainstream media, the government etc then putting blind faith in conspiracy theories and 'alternative' sources.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Something which drives me nuts is people realising they can't always trust the mainstream media, the government etc then putting blind faith in conspiracy theories and 'alternative' sources.

Exactly. "Official narratives are sometimes untrue, so anything that sets itself up as being counter to this must always be true".

You're right that people can't be blamed for their skepticism, but as you say, this always goes along with an enormous credulousness. Like luka, who makes a point of seeing spies and assassins in every shadow, saying the Leave campaigns "won fair and square" when they both found guilty, and subsequently fined, for engaging in conspiracy.

Maybe he was just saying that to wind me up, who knows.

Last edited:

catalog

Isnt it more that people dont have the time/interest to do ‘proper’ research, so they go off their instincts? Like the often quoted thing about how we make up a decision about someone we meet for the forst time pretty mich instantly, mainly based on how they look, then how they sound etc. What they actually say matters the least, kind of thing? And people want a simple answer? And they also get sick of science cos it keeps changing? So the leap to conspiracy theories is a sympton of the overloading of info?

version

Isnt it more that people dont have the time/interest to do ‘proper’ research, so they go off their instincts? Like the often quoted thing about how we make up a decision about someone we meet for the forst time pretty mich instantly, mainly based on how they look, then how they sound etc. What they actually say matters the least, kind of thing? And people want a simple answer? And they also get sick of science cos it keeps changing? So the leap to conspiracy theories is a sympton of the overloading of info?

Is COVID-19 being cover for an elaborate international effort to arrest various figures currently sending out coded messages using a particular brand of typewriter simpler than dodgy hygiene practices leading to an outbreak though?

Leo

I know one wacky local blogger who continually refers to it as the "Chinese Communist Party coronavirus", taking Dear Leader's expression to an extreme.

catalog

Nah of course not, but to say the outbreak is the result of dodgy hygiene practices is also an oversimplification.

'Simple 'is a funny concept as well, cos a lot of things presented as simple are really not. Maybe 'story' is better when thinking about conspiracy theories and why they take hold: they catch the imagination and the ridiculous steps all make sense once a single assumption is accepted.

version

Didn't it originate in a wet market? I'd heard the whole thing was kicked off by people selling live animals kept in poor conditions. That strikes me as dodgy hygiene practices.