Zizek C4 Thurs Mrch 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
1_pervertsguidetothecinemaparts1and2.jpg

Well, if you happen to be in Australia this Saturday, the full 150min version of The Pervert's Guide To Cinema is being screened [at the 53rd Sydney Film Festival].

Dogs, Birds, Marnie
birdsCam.jpg
Vortex7.JPG
Vortex8.JPG

Psycho
Vortex21.JPG
Vortex22.JPG

Vortex2.JPG
Vortex16.JPG
Vortex17.JPG

3835-1.jpg
hbirds.jpg

"That we are watching sheeit, as it were."
Vortex11.JPG

dHarry

Padraig has just posted a complete transcription of the programme complete with many stills - even pointing out Zizek's sloppy slip regarding Club Silencio in Lynch's Mulholland Drive and throwing in a Kate Bush CD cover for good measure!

Go and beat the shit out of yourself.

John Doe

STOP PRESS!

Good news for all you Zizek heads...

The Pervert's Guide to Cinema is scheduled to be shown on the More 4 channel in three one-hour episodes, beginning on Monday 3rd July at 10pm; then Tues 4th July at 10pm and finishing on Weds 4th at 10pm.

Hope this helps you to catch up with what you've missed.

omni

the pervert cinema guide is also on youtube, just do a search and you will find the whole thing split into several parts.

if you want some more zizek,here's a lecture he gave at some theater festival in germany. very interesting, you can download here: http://theater.kein.org/node/128

i haven't found this one anywhere on the internet (anyone?) but it looks like a good introduction to the man and his beliefs
http://www.zizekthemovie.com

stelfox

Beast of Burden
I watched all of this series and can now happily say that it was a monumentally gigantic load of shit.
it's not just that zizek is a pretty bloody dull writer, hardly groundbreaking in his theories and massively, massively overrated (especially round these parts).
he's also the single least telegenic, least engaging person in the history of broadcasting.

jahsonic

Via youtube

<center>
Part 1.a
<br>
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
</center>

<center>
Part 1.b
<br>
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
</center>

<center>
Part 1.d
<br>
</center>

<center>
Part 1.e
<br>
</center>

<center>
Part 1.f
<br>
</center>

jahsonic

I'm sorry, that should have been

<p>
<a href="">Part 1.a</a> -
<a href="">Part 1.b</a> -
<a href="">Part 1.c</a> -
<a href="">Part 1.d</a> -
<a href="">Part 1.e</a> -
<a href="">Part 1.f</a>

F

foret

the half hour of it i saw on tv was a little bit crap, beyond an adolescent delight at how offputting this must have been to the accidental viewer

there is so much academe copy consisting of rote lacanian analyses of that hitchcock/bunuel/lynch subcanon

the few thousand initiates who might have noticed could have congratulated themselves for their familiarity, and the few hundred thousand unfortunates who wouldn't have recognised a single clip ('alien' maybe) could glaze over at the holy fool / slovene vagrant talking nonsense in a rowboat

who came up with the scenery, or the title for that matter?

jenks

thread death
Penman has been spending a lot of his time thinking about Zizek at the moment:

http://apawboy.blogspot.com/

I do like the idea of Julie Birchill doing a critique of the Beardy Beard.

The more of him (Zizek) I read the less impressed I get.

I started with Welcome to the Desert of the Real and was really taken with it but each time i've read a further piece the effect has been less successful.

Is reading Zizek a case of the law of diminishing returns in operation?

tate

Brown Sugar
Thinking? You mean masturbating ... And a long-overdue response here to Ian's well-meaning and sentimental angst - but ultimately self-loathingly slurred misfiring.

kdo4_display.jpg
penman.jpg
Out of curiosity, why are you including the cartoons written in Slovenian? Do you read Slovenian? There is another one in the linked response. Are these cartoons a part of your argument? Or for another purpose?

Also: why do you capitalize words like 'Thought' and 'Feeling' in the blog post? I've noticed that K-Punk does this too. Personally, I find it bizarre, as if someone wished that the language were German or 17th century English. But it's not. Using nouns in upper case (well, the first letter anyway) is not a substitute for an argument, or evidence, as you know. I have always assumed that there was a reason for it, theoretical or other, and was just curious. (Not trying to be unnecessarily provocative here.)

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why are you including the cartoons written in Slovenian? Do you read Slovenian? There is another one in the linked response. Are these cartoons a part of your argument? Or for another purpose?

Do you have a problem with East European languages? Or is the Jouissance of the Other too unbearable for you? A part of the argument, clearly.

Also: why do you capitalize words like 'Thought' and 'Feeling' in the blog post? I've noticed that K-Punk does this too. Personally, I find it bizarre, as if someone wished that the language were German or 17th century English. But it's not. Using nouns in upper case (well, the first letter anyway) is not a substitute for an argument, or evidence, as you know. I have always assumed that there was a reason for it, theoretical or other, and was just curious. (Not trying to be unnecessarily provocative here.)

You ask a lot of unnecessarily provocative questions. Why do you capitalize such words as "German" and "English" above, other than, that is, as an auto-reflexive Zombie adherence to Big Other grammer? A reason, yes.

Oh look, another cartoon!!

Zizek in Prague during the spring of 1968, just as the Russian tanks rolled in. "I found there, on the central square, a café that miraculously worked through this emergency," he says. "I remember they had wonderful strawberry cakes, and I was sitting there eating strawberry cakes and watching Russian tanks against demonstrators. It was perfect." (Zizek has since developed diabetes).

kdo2_display.jpg

tate

Brown Sugar
Do you have a problem with East European languages? Or is the Jouissance of the Other too unbearable for you? A part of the argument, clearly.
Do I have a problem with "East European" languages? Haha, no, hardly. I read a number of them daily, including Slovenian, and speak one fluently.

(And that was why I asked about the Slovenian cartoons in the first place.)

Incidentally, as I'm sure you know, the words from the cartoon (with the tank) in your last post say something quite different than the Žižek quote that you have placed above it.

You ask a lot of unnecessarily provocative questions. Why do you capitalize such words as "German" and "English" above, other than, that is, as an auto-reflexive Zombie adherence to Big Other grammer? A reason, yes.
Oh, I hear you. However, the choice between spelling German/german or English/english is not, as you say, a grammatical one - Big Other grammer [sic] or other. :D

zhao

there are no accidents
I watched all of this series and can now happily say that it was a monumentally gigantic load of shit.
it's not just that zizek is a pretty bloody dull writer, hardly groundbreaking in his theories and massively, massively overrated (especially round these parts).
he's also the single least telegenic, least engaging person in the history of broadcasting.

so it sounds like you must know of some thinkers who are more successful at doing what Zizek attempts to do: people who are better writers, more "groundbreaking" theoretically, more telegenic and more engaging?

please enlighten us as to where we should look for contemporary thought which deals with the current cultural and political situation in a continuation of, but not inhibited by, the academic tradition? (and preferrably not dry and coma-inducing?)

Status
Not open for further replies.