Zizek C4 Thurs Mrch 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

droid

Aside from his pseudo stalking and laughable threat to hack the boards, I really don't see much there other than the usual sweary nonsense which unfortunately happens on internet boards.

He was banned for that.

I disagree John, That thread, and the threads that led to it were IMO, a bit nastier than that account of them.

He seems to be behaving differently now and we are watching him.

You were not banned, but chose not to post here for a while - which I thought was a shame.

Damn right I wasnt banned!! Why? Do you think I should I have been? :confused:

I stopped posting here because of the complete lack of structured moderation - and nothing has changed in the meantime, though i have to give you credit for at poking your head out of the sand now and then.

We can hardly ban padraig for personal abuse and threats and then not raise an eyebrow when people continue to slag him off - firstly when he can't even reply cos he's banned, and secondly the minute he comes back and seems to be behaving himself.

Being a mod isn't about my personal preferences, which is obviously responsible for some very uncomfortable situations.

He hasnt been threatened in any way, and the slags are incredibly mild compared to behaviour which has been tolerated here in the past. The only reason this kicked off is because no-one on the modding side of things thought it would be appropriate to mention the fact that he was back on a 'trial' basis, giving the (false) impression (yet again) of a back room chumminess.

Authority minus consistency = a complete mess.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that "reported posts" and subsequent email correspondence will be sent to my computer at home, so you will not get a swift response from me until tonight. Other mods may decide to act or respond before then.

Im conscious of the fact that youre wasting valuable typing time here John, so I cetainly wont be eating into your spare time with more of this irrelevant rubbish.

If a resident here actually gives a shit, then let them report it. If a lesson hasnt been learned from last time round, then it never will be...
Well fair play to you for having a clear position on that. Unfortunately it is very hard for us to actually enforce, as the whole Hell Science Dept debacle proved. I personally just don't have enough keyboard time or interest to check all this out, and it seems the other moderators are in a similar position.

You can block IP addresses cant you?

I hope I am not breaching confidentiality by saying that HML seems to have taken offence at your ad hominem attacks on a previous poster.

:D What a sensitive soul he is.

I honestly have no recollection of this - possibly because it was earlier in the year when I wasn't around?

Couldve been. Though you might find a CCd email to Matt somehwere in your archives reffering to it.

Ian Town

answer the question.

so you don't like 'lumpens', which i assume is your loving way of referring to the lumpen proletariat, nor the middle classes.
that's quite a narrow range of people who you do like then- could you list appropriate professions, just to clarify?

at no point have i mentioned fear of a world revolution- YOU WORD TWISTER, you. but i do think you're a touch ideologically confused, to say the least.

We represent the global working class. That is why there were more Workers Power delegates present at November's Organising Fighting Unions Conference than from any other organisation. I have letters from striking firefighters, thanking me and Workers Power for providing solidarity. What do you have, sir? A TENDENCY TO TRY AND PROVOKE ME TO IMPRESS YOUR CONSERVATIVE FRIENDS! Or are we talking more sinister purposes here - could you be an ally of Workers Liberty, per chance?

Yes - I think we've cracked it. Libber!

Ian Town

www.workerspower.com

Woebot

A few posters have come back under new names. So far they have behaved themselves (or at least not manifested the behaviour which got them banned in the first place), so I am personally happy with that.

Certainly I can't be arsed cross-referring all the IP addresses here on a daily basis (though I do when someone has just been banned and I think they might try to come back in).

Having said that, I would personally afford them less leeway than posters who have not previously been banned.

If you find any posting objectionable (rather than individual posters) then please use the "report post" function.

Similarly if anyone feels personally aggrevied that previously banned posters have returned, then take it up with the moderators.

thanks for this john. absolutely spot-on.

personally i'm glad padraig is back and if craner and droid took 5 minutes to think before they posted they'd realise that YES (even though he'll probably rain insults on me for pointing it out) padraig has generally made an effort to be easier to get along with, and what more could they ask for? they're both banned for a week.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
I disagree John, That thread, and the threads that led to it were IMO, a bit nastier than that account of them.

I dunno, maybe I'm not as sensitive as I thought. This all seems pretty mild compared to some stuff I've seen online, and indeed in real life.

Damn right I wasnt banned!! Why? Do you think I should I have been? :confused:

I wasn't suggesting that you should have been banned, merely pointing out that you and padraig were treated in entirely different ways, because of your different behaviour.

I stopped posting here because of the complete lack of structured moderation - and nothing has changed in the meantime, though i have to give you credit for at poking your head out of the sand now and then.

There is always more moderation going on than non-moderators are able to see. It is, as you know, a thankless task, in the main - so your credit is very welcome!

He hasnt been threatened in any way, and the slags are incredibly mild compared to behaviour which has been tolerated here in the past. The only reason this kicked off is because no-one on the modding side of things thought it would be appropriate to mention the fact that he was back on a 'trial' basis, giving the (false) impression (yet again) of a back room chumminess.

I only noticed it when it was flagged up on this thread and saw the link to the subject-barred blog. I have little interest in Zizek or much of what HML posts, so I haven't been keeping an eye on him.

Authority minus consistency = a complete mess.

Complete consistency is impossible, though.

You can block IP addresses cant you?

No, only Woebot can do that. It didn't seem to work for another poster who repeatedly returned and kept getting rebanned. I don't know why.

Couldve been. Though you might find a CCd email to Matt somehwere in your archives reffering to it.

I will look - send it again if you still have it and feel it's worthwhile.

Woebot

There is always more moderation going on than non-moderators are able to see. It is, as you know, a thankless task, in the main - so your credit is very welcome!

as far as i'm concerned the less moderation the better. john and the other mods do an absoultely brilliant job of hardly ever doing it at all.

the problem has been in the past when moderators have been too "modetorial".

-

on this subect. droid is still apparently upset that he was "demodified" about six months ago and he's asked me to to make a public statement to the effect that i thought he doing an OK job. to be honest i thought i had, and have also struggled to make ammends to him as well.

in an email to him at the time i commented:

"“As far as moderation itself I'd reiterate that I think you dealt with the matter <i>(padraig's initial conflagration)</i> entirely reasonably.”

i think that is essentially correct with the obvious proviso that i'd have been happier if he had been slightly less keen to adopt "the voice of the board" (cos by definition- dissensus- there shouldn't be such a thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.