METAL! Discuss

Local Authority

bitch city
Been listening to a lot more black metal recently and found the Blut Aus Nord 777 trilogy to be some of the best music made in recent years.

Aluk Tolodo's new album Occult Rituals is also up there in the top 10 of this year. Amazing fusion of black metal, kraut, industrial and psychedelic rock. Listening to some of this stuff makes me feel that the whole Blackest Ever Black thing is somewhat irrelevant, in all it's attempts to be heads down, gothy and dark it has nothing on black metal.

CrowleyHead

Meanwhile, on the more noisecore front, Pig Destroyer's album was... relatively unimpressive, gotta give that one some more spins. Narrows had a barn burner. No idea if the new Converge is good or not, low hopes for the new Deftones...

Oh, yeah, and....

GAZA!!!!!!!!!!!

Local Authority

bitch city
Would you really say Pig Destroyer's new album is disappointing? Haven't listened to it yet but their previous albums were masterpieces, would be a shame if this doesn't hold up to those.

The new Converge was good, not as good as Jane Doe or No Heroes but miles better than Axe To Fall.

Local Authority

bitch city
I really need to catch up on everything that's been released since 2010 actually. Any recommendations, especially on the black metal front?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
do tell...is it different from previous stuff?

Dunno, I just bought that and Black One more or less on a whim. I do love the organ tho (fnar fnar).

Edit: and you haven't heard DOOOOOM until you've heard DOOOOOOM TROMBOOOOON!!!! I think it's very effective, like Cosey's nauseous cornet on TG's 'E. Coli'.

Last edited:

MankyFiver

Isterismo

not sure if it classify's as metal and they do seem to describe themselves as hardcore (japanese singing in italian) but Isterismo's recent lp Follia Verso L'interno provides all my extreme guitar licks

[][/SOUNDCLOUD]

and i believe they even have crusty dreads!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I made this, with the help of sometime Dissensian bunnyhausen:

<iframe width="100%" height="250" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=" comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&vi sual=true"></iframe>

This is perhaps the most kvlt thing ever, for those who like that sort of thing: Saudi black metal, which has gotta take some balls, man! As is so often the case, I dig the music but the vox turn me off. Still pretty cool though.

Last edited:

shakahislop

saw eyehategod last night, and made the mistake of getting there early enough to see all three supports. eyehategod very inconsiderately didn't come on until 11pm, such disdain they have for us office workers. four hours of being bludgeoned by this stuff is too much for....well i was going to say me, but probably anyone.

pretty interesting night. the metal thing is always interesting to be around. in the US there's definitely a class thing going on - more or less everything like this that i go to has a load of working class people i think.

it got hot and sweaty with a big pushy stompy moshpit, whole place felt a bit rowdy. there is something weird these days about being stood there watching someone with a well documented and i understand quite serious booze and (at least in the past) heroin problem come on stage boozing and clearly a bit wasted.

musically speaking the intensity of that sound, especially the sludgier end of it, always does the job for me. its a bit like techno really. the basic formula is undeniable for live stuff, a massive slab of fast-paced sound. there are variations in style of course but there's a reason that the form has survived for like 40 years already.

shakahislop

I saw some band the other day called Midnight, just one guy in a gas mask playing guitar with two girls dancing. Kind of 80s thrash inspired I guess, but the backing track had all these horrible high pitch frequencies, like he was going for this old cassette sound, but messing with the mix in really harsh ways that really hurt. It made people go absolutely crazy. The audience started fighting each other. One girl smashed another girl in the face with a beer bottle in the pit even. I could see people on this board getting into them maybe.
love it

Leo

honestly @sufi should lock this thread.

not sure if you're joking or serious third, but it's as deserving a topic as any, regardless of whether you like the music or not. I haven't bought or probably even listened to a metal album in decades but still love the sounds and the various subcultures. it's been said before but some of the crazy fringe metal is as experimental as anything else out there.

also @shakahislop while I agree about class thing, it's not 100%. I know a guy from an upper middle class (US definition) family who's both a high-paid developer and has played guitar/bass for a few fairly gnarly/extreme metal bands that regularly played at St. Vitus. some of his metal friends are similar well-paid, condo-owning white tech guys (though not tech bros, these guys all have long hair and lots of ink).

Last edited: