NYC coyote

polystyle

I see news today about the coyote in NYC

Yea, it was a traveling creature for sure .
made it into town by crossing an Amtrak bridge across the Harlem River.
Eluded uniforms until today when it got shot in the butt with a sleeper dart ,
transported back upstate .
Must have walked along the tracks for a looong way or jumped them and came into town for a casual little dog , stray or bird dinner .

We know LA's got 'em , but pretty rare for NYC !

polystyle

If you hear a howl while in town ...

He was avoiding them yesterday ,
the cops were huffing and puffing , helicopters above ,
yups and old ladies moving their little dogs out the way
while the coyote ran and ran and swam a bit in Central Park pond .
I had been telling friends who live in Inwood (up 'round 200th St. in Manhattan) that it was possible
and to keep their cats inside , so i was interested in figuring out / hearing how he got in town.
The current can be strong coming round the top of the island so i thought a swim across was maybe a bit too much to imagine , someone in the Times article today thot it could have ridden in in a trash truck , but that was farfetched (!).
They were shooting a movie in the Park , an actress in a wig doing figure 8's on the Wollman Ice Rink
as the coyote ran by ...
The 1 year old had possibly been run out of it's own area upstate by older coyotes who supposedly turn out the young males this time of year ,
came down through green areas until he made a left turn from West side and over into the Park.
He seemed fine after waking up in the bk of a Park's truck heading upstate again ...

dominic

Beast of Burden
my very very pregnant sister was evidently interviewed on tv about this

she said something to the effect, "coyotes are considered predators. they prey upon small dogs"

had i been asked, i would have said, "coyotes are one of the few carnivorous creatures to have adapted to modern mankind successfully"

polystyle

Wild in the park

Something's got to prey on those 'small dogs' he he
Aww Where was Paris H 's pooch when it was needed ...

In the coyote's saga , there is ref. to the coyote checking out one dog walkers small white poodle,
prolly barking like mad at the wild one.
'Just one bite' ' You can't eat just one' , chomp and scratch one lil pooper.

polystyle

And now I see that the coyote died yesterday before it could be released upstate ...
As the Park people were going to tag him before release the creature ' stopped breathing'