Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Chang: “Why has nothing replaced hip hop?”

i don't know if it necessarily "replaced" hip-hop, but what about house/techno? this was for the most part created by black youths.

Quote Originally Posted by spotrusha
    i don't know if it necessarily "replaced" hip-hop, but what about house/techno? this was for the most part created by black youths.
    imo, it's nowhere near as important and certainly not a head-on challenge to hip-hop. also, a lot of it came out of electro, which is hip-hop.

droid Guest

Good post Stelfox. One off topic thing:

Quote Originally Posted by stelfox
    (oh and by the way, i think that anyone who uses homohobic and racist terminology, even in very unsuccesful jest, should be banned.)
    No-one should be banned unless theyre making life impossible for other users through excessive trolling/spamming/spoofing etc... If someone's being consistently offensive, they'll just find themselves ignored eventually...

All IMO of course.

i dunno, we've banned people before. i think racism and anti-semitism are pretty good things not to tolerate. it's a bit more than just being annoying.

i dunno, we've banned people before. i think racism and anti-semitism are pretty good things not to tolerate. it's a bit more than just being annoying.
    otm- not to mention his continual butchering of the english language...

Because when you create a music based around sampling other music, you need never change the name, as you have no real definition of the sonics other than a looped beat and someone rapping on it anyway.

All other genres that came before it were based on original instrumentation and composition and as such were far more clearly definable.

If people get bored of one sound in Hip Hop they can go sample something else.
    logansama.blogspot.com
    myspace.com/djlogansama
    info@logansama.com

New show time! Monday night 11pm-1am Kiss 100
    kiss100.com

Listen to the show HERE or HERE

butchering of the english language

are you talking about hip-hop or buick 6, matt? if it's the former you and i are going to have words!

butchering of the english language

are you talking about hip-hop or buick 6, matt? if it's the former you and i are going to have words!
    ha! the hip hop i like has some of the greatest use of the english language. its mr 6 i can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by matt b
    ha! the hip hop i like has some of the greatest use of the english language.
    L.O.N.S. for example

Quote Originally Posted by gumdrops
    i dunno if its the same cos those musics still built on rock. hip hop was a break from disco, funk and soul that preceded it in the 70s. eg - there wasnt rapping in those genres, and they werent based around anyone laying vocals on top of old records either.
    take your point - interesting that black music created forms that anticipated future technology -scratching imitating what samplers would do in the near future - whereas rock has been content to use new technology to produce hyperreal versions of the same old thing - in a way that might be the change that punk/ noo wave initiated; up to then, rock had embraced technology in a relatively open way, whereas from the late seventies onwards, an ever less resonant and affectless adherence to the same old classic formulae became the norm, with technology used simply to 'perfect' the old routine

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by matt b
    otm- not to mention his continual butchering of the english language...
    Ive got as much reason as anyone to want to see the back him - but I dont think hes being genuinely anti-semetic (oh the irony!), and I dont think mangling your words should be a bannable offense.

The way I see it, a ban should be the final option reserved for serious breaches of etiquette such as personal abuse etc.

That said, it might be constructive for the mods to step in a bit more often and give a bit of (or any!) guidance. Theres been a lot of recent threads around here that have been ruined by trolling... someone has to draw a line at some point or else the anti-social behaviour of the few is left unchecked, resulting in people feeling they have license to say whatever the fuck they want without consequences...

anyway, this should really be on another thread shouldn't it, or we'll ruin this one, too

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Sama
    Because when you create a music based around sampling other music, you need never change the name, as you have no real definition of the sonics other than a looped beat and someone rapping on it anyway.

All other genres that came before it were based on original instrumentation and composition and as such were far more clearly definable.

If people get bored of one sound in Hip Hop they can go sample something else.
    i get what you mean but thats overlooking the fact that funk and soul were pretty great at incorporating what they wanted from other genres such as latin stuff, rock, african music, jazz, etc etc etc. it just wasnt as obvious/literal maybe as it wasnt sampled.

Quote Originally Posted by droid
    Ive got as much reason as anyone to want to see the back him - but I dont think hes being genuinely anti-semetic (oh the irony!), and I dont think mangling your words should be a bannable offense.

The way I see it, a ban should be the final option reserved for serious breaches of etiquette such as personal abuse etc.

That said, it might be constructive for the mods to step in a bit more often and give a bit of (or any!) guidance. Theres been a lot of recent threads around here that have been ruined by trolling... someone has to draw a line at some point or else the anti-social behaviour of the few is left unchecked, resulting in people feeling they have license to say whatever the fuck they want without consequences...

i don't want to totally derail this thread, but...its not that he offends per se- i'm sure i do to, but its all buick 6 does and he manages to do without SAYING anything. its like working with an over excited 16 year old who suffers a bizarre case of the tourettes.

I believe that is why Hip Hop came into ascendance. While Soul and Hip Hop actually share many similarities in terms of ethos, it seems to me that Soul reached a point where the methods of integrating other sounds and experimenting with new ideas were not sufficient and the music stagnated.

Hip Hop exists currently in an age where technology is moving at an incredible pace, more often than not out-pacing the ideas with which artists come up with to utilise the tools at their disposal. I am sure one day Hip Hop will become stagnant in terms of experimentation and integration and people will move onto something else. But with the tools at people's disposal within the Hip Hop genre I can't see that happening in a while. Hip Hop is just the music around at the right time for it to last this long.
    logansama.blogspot.com
    myspace.com/djlogansama
    info@logansama.com

New show time! Monday night 11pm-1am Kiss 100
    kiss100.com

Listen to the show HERE or HERE