Burial interview @ Blackdown/Burial album

blunt

shot by both sides
Finally got round to reading this last night - printed it out and read it on the train down the Gillingham line, with the perfect visual accompaniment wizzing passed the windows - London Bridge, New Cross, Lewisham... :) Nice job, Martin.

droid said:
I know someone who does this with mind-blowing results. Only problem comes when you want to remaster/mixdown/remix the tune....

I loved the fact that what s/he's doing is so fixed - one hit. Digital is so reconfigerable and forgiving that there's a degree to which you never have to commit to anything. All right, so I've no doubt s/he still uses CTRL-Z from time to time - I'm not saying it's like real world scuplture, but I think there's something to be said for restricting yourself. This approach definitely means that s/he has to be feeling it. And I think we're all agreed that that comes thru in the music.

Anyway. Can't wait to hear the whole thing. Hoping this is the kick up the arse that I need to sort out my Slsk bizness ;)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Breezeblock headline DJ Set: Burial

Burial - 'Pirates' (Hyperdub)
Burial - 'Forgive' (Hyperdub)
Burial - 'Wounder' (Hyperdub)
Burial - 'Gutted' (Hyperdub)
Burial - 'Night Bus' (Hyperdub)
Burial - ' South London Boroughs' (Hyperdub)
Burial - 'Gaslight' (Hyperdub)
Burial - 'Rain' (Hyperdub)
Burial - 'Shutter' (Hyperdub)
Burial - 'U Hurt Me' (Hyperdub)
Burial - 'Distant Lights' (Hyperdub)

tate

Brown Sugar
Honest question: are we to believe that Burial remixed Martin's "Crackle Blues" without using a sequencer? Or, on the other hand, perhaps none of the original files were used for the rmx, which, given the minute-long snippets that I have heard, may well be the case.

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
mms said:
people knowing what your boat looks like is'nt important if you make tunes really, it;s only important if you are a pop singer or a rapper etc..
I don't have a boat, I have a yacht, I'll have you know, and it's extremely important that people know what it looks like.

Yacht%20pic.jpg

In this picture, you can just about make out Burial at the wheel while I relax on a lounger. I think it's pretty obvious who it is. This picture was taken during our trip to northern Spain.

D

droid

Soundforge isnt basic. In many ways its more advanced than most sequencers, as you can get right into the sounds as well as sequencing them. It just requires a very different approach to making music.

The real problem with it is that it makes playing live a near impossibility.

3underscore

droid said:
Soundforge isnt basic.
...The real problem with it is that it makes playing live a near impossibility.

But given what you can read into the Burial interview, this will never pose a problem at all, as he won't play live.

D

droid

Yah never know... If he keeps up this level of intrique he might get offered some nice $ for a live set...

Im sure he could wear a mask or something...

mms

sometimes
3underscore said:
But given what you can read into the Burial interview, this will never pose a problem at all, as he won't play live.

again you don't have to show your face to play live .... :cool:

2stepfan : you can't take the boy out of essex eh.. :)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Tate said:
Honest question: are we to believe that Burial remixed Martin's "Crackle Blues" without using a sequencer? Or, on the other hand, perhaps none of the original files were used for the rmx, which, given the minute-long snippets that I have heard, may well be the case.

yes and you're wrong. :)

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I'm loving this music, the whole haunting hazy vibe of it is something we need more of. And I think playing some mystery games about who's made it is cool, every artist creates and presents a persona to go along with their music and in this case it's just obviously mysterious and/or fictionalised. In a way this pose is more honest then a lot of the people who claim their artist personas to be 'real'.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I find Burial to be properly hauntological- ghosts of dead uk dance music ebbing across crippled beat structures... he's putting the "step" backing into dubstep...

Immryr

gek-opel said:
I find Burial to be properly hauntological- ghosts of dead uk dance music ebbing across crippled beat structures... he's putting the "step" backing into dubstep...

totally otm

Tweak Head

Looking forward to hearing this. It's refreshing to see emphasis on feeling rather than gear, plugins and engineering. I like a nicely-produced tune but it's easy to get depressed reading mags like Computer Music with their emphasis on stuff and on engineering skills, seemingly to the exclusion of creativity, feel and all the other stuff mentioned in the interview.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Tweak Head said:
Looking forward to hearing this. It's refreshing to see emphasis on feeling rather than gear, plugins and engineering. I like a nicely-produced tune but it's easy to get depressed reading mags like Computer Music with their emphasis on stuff and on engineering skills, seemingly to the exclusion of creativity, feel and all the other stuff mentioned in the interview.

Totally co-sign on this. Although now that we're officially in the fruity loops/garage band era I'd say a lot of the those people will have to shhhut their mouths pretty soon. Look at Skream, I'm pretty sure he's on fruity and just LISTEN. A lot of people use hard/software acquisitiveness as an excuse to not make music ie 'Just wait until I get my XXX then I'll be able to make a good tune' and blaming their lack of equipment for their lack of talent.. It's like what happened when DV became available to filmmakers, for years a lot of guys were hating from the sidelines saying 'If I had access to X Y and Z I could make a better film than all these guys'. Then the tech became available to shoot and edit for basically no money and a lot of people's bluff got called. Needless to say, once they got access they never made the movies they were complaining about being unable to make.

Tweak Head

Listened to the extracts off Blackdown's blog this morning. Intriguing. Anyone know where I can get hold of some of Burial's other stuff?

Cheers.

adruu

This Is It
the few musicians i know often suffocate their creativity with gear...and a desire to be a part of a glamorous avant-garde/cutting edge...but yeah, i guess it crosses all types of activity (film,design)

I really think Burial's stuff would fit in well with what the Mutek fesitivals do (mutek.ca), but I am utterly clueless as to how to put the two together.

I need to hear South London Borroughs on a big PA.