Burial interview @ Blackdown/Burial album

tate

Brown Sugar
yes, great interview. interesting that he came to the 'crackle' on his own, not through basic channel or pole or the other usual suspects

re: all of the talk about female vocal samples. i was reminded of the first time that i heard Burial's "nite train," with the sample "close your eyes, let the rhythm get in" from michael jackson's 'rock with you'

Inca March

Down from Machu Picchu
it's all good apart from the fact that it's so obviously someone on the scene pretending to be some unknown south london garage head youth....

mms

sometimes
Inca March said:
it's all good apart from the fact that it's so obviously someone on the scene pretending to be some unknown south london garage head youth....

why would anyone bother doing that ?
juset because you haven't seen him doesn't mean he doesn't exist.

Inca March

Down from Machu Picchu
proabably to create a bit of mystery - woooh. rumours already mentioned in interview.
there's this producer and nobody's ever met him except kode 9 - yeah right.
reference points are just too perfect - too much following the current party political line - foul play, hyper-on experience, photek, metalheadz, steve gurley, el-b, groove chronicles, atmospheres, anti-musicianship etc. tbh imo it reads like someone a bit older, with a fair bit of academic education and not originally from south london and with an agenda they're trying to push writing / speaking like they think a south london youth would. we'll see...i'm happy to be proved wrong...

Inca March

Down from Machu Picchu
ok - as i said - that's how it reads to me, but happy to be proved wrong . looking forward to the album anyway. and looking forward to when the mysterious mr burial makes his public debut. if he ever does....

devilsbroth

chunky meat chunx
A bit cloak an dagger all this stuff about who burial is
blackdown set the record straight mate
Maybe it is some he is some kid from the south london
maybe he is blackdown/kode 9???
whoever it is, there is a lot of disscsion bout it
an thats got to be good 4 burial
with the album dropping soon
we will have to check breezeblock for more clues eh?
whatever, the beats are icy cold an crisp.great stuff (they sound like memories to me, snatches of conversation/mood/feeling to me!!!
good luck!!!

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Inca March said:
ok - as i said - that's how it reads to me, but happy to be proved wrong . looking forward to the album anyway. and looking forward to when the mysterious mr burial makes his public debut. if he ever does....

look there's too much transparency in the music industry already - 'units', politics, factions, marketing etc - what's wrong with a bit of mystery and magic? i could tell you who he is to stop you being so cynical, but wouldn't that just totally break the spell?

Inca March

Down from Machu Picchu
point taken and a good point, but my 'smoke and mirror' alarms did go off. i'll reign in my cynicism, you cast a more powerful spell next time. and as devils broth says, all this talk is just increasing the mystery...

mms

sometimes
people knowing what your boat looks like is'nt important if you make tunes really, it;s only important if you are a pop singer or a rapper etc..

D

droid

spackb0y said:
This is just fantastic:

Fairly blown away by his discussions of how he makes his tracks just in a wave editor without sequencing anything...

I know someone who does this with mind-blowing results.

Only problem comes when you want to remaster/mixdown/remix the tune....

bassnation

the abyss
2stepfan said:
An I thought he was so high tech!

i'm amazed at him using soundforge. there is a pressure to go the high end cubase route, good on him for finding such an amazing sound with such a basic set up. just goes to show how limits can be liberating sometimes.

DJ PIMP

soundforge... meh. if he was really hardcore he'd draw the waveform on a roll of toilet paper with a crayon and scan it.

hasn't he heard of warez? soundforge???? *cries*

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Really enjoyed this interview Martin.

The album and breezeblock set next Monday night are looking like musical highlights this year already.