Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Britain's best birds.

I remember being very excited at a Welsh pond once when we saw a wood duck and a mandarin duck, I was just amazed that such colourful and exotic birds could be wild in the UK. But I think they've been introduced.

Also sea birds I've loved watching in the Scottish and Welsh islands; gannets, great skuas (called bonxys I think in Orkney) and arctic skuas, puffins, guillemots and so on6

I'm quite good at spotting and naming stuff off the cuff. When I was a child I knew the Field Guide for Britain inside out, a lot of which stays with you, like a language you've learnt. Every time I try to "go" bird watching, though, with binoculars, it's a disaster: nothing to see. In that sense, I'm an abysmal bird watcher, I'm like a curse.

have you guys noticed that the birds are disappearing?

Of course. And the butterflies. It's an emergency.

We have a flock of goldfinch that descends on our pond for a morning bath. Beautiful, highly-coloured little things.

Oh they're great too... also bullfinches.

Where my parents live there are a load of farmers fields at the bottom of their garden. For ages they've been marked for development but now it's finally started and suddenly at a stroke that whole row of houses are cut off from nature. Before the garden had badgers, deer etc but now there is no way access to those houses without going through a massive building which I guess they are not gonna do. I dunno if the effect on birds is so radical but already the massive numbers of red kites patrolling the fields have gone so it's probably similar.... well, it aint gonna be good is it?