things you have noticed.

Randy Watson

Driving through Cambridgeshire I saw three scarecrows in a field. Their legs were formed from old trousers tied at the bottom inna Kid Creole/zoot suit way. The trouser leg of one of them had come undone and was flapping back and forth in the wind. It looked very much as if it were doing the can-can.

h-crimm

Melmoth said:
I've seen something similar on the Walworth road. I've got an awful feeling that its supposed to be 'conceptual' art.

incredibly it could be worse; you phone the number and a computer tells you about an affordable designer shoe factory oulet store just opened in the east end. guerilla advertising. "if youre desperate enough to try and scav someone elses shoes out of a bin via a lost and found ad, you'll love mmmmmmmmm's discount fashion brand shoe emporium, every days a close-out sale!". i could barely type the phrase guerrrrillll urgghh adddve urcghh tizing cos of the shudders of disgust...

owen

cripes! they're remarkably fearless nowadays

thing i noticed just now- squirrels make a really quite unpleasant noise. a sort of strangulated squeak, like a mini-fox. i had no idea they even made a sound.

sufi

lala
there's a new 'FOUND' poster on my street it's already a bit indistinct but it say:

FOUND

(type of creature illegible)

A Bit Flat, but basically OK

sufi

lala
zoology & ornithology of brixton

foxes
they're well on the rampage,
i often imagine them in the cellars and darkplaces, spendinging the daytimes, lurking in a leisurely way,
skulking & plotting our demise...
"one day my cub all this will be yours"

there was a big dead fox in our street the other week, healthy looking (except dead obv) with a fine bushy brush...
apparently the brixton nimbys are getting their peds & suvs & weimeraners together for some urban bloodsports, tally-ho!

i saw a bird of prey on a rooftop in bob marley way the other day, getting mobbed by 4 magpies. as someone raised to be superstitious from an early age about magpies i found this most disturbing, as i reckon i never seen more than a couple together round here before.
it was a little un, i checked it as it flew off, not a kestrel.

sufi

lala
ghost dog

i saw the ghost dog again, a couple of times in the market in the daytime recently.

descriptuion. big, alsation looking doggy, black & shaggy almost dred. no collar, no sign of any owner anywhere. trotting along thru the market, noone bothered it (BIG doggy) & bothering nobody...

i caught the same dog before, at least 2 years ago, at the bins 2 or 3 miles away down in w norwood, early in the morning 1 day w2hen i had to wake early for some reason and wandered out, 1/2 sleeping, & saw the dog. i returned home to bed then woke later, not sure if i dreamed the whole experience...
icon9.gif

mebbie obviously this black dog is somehow symbolical (yawn) - still spooky spooky spooky tho!

er off to the nature forum i think :)

nick.K

gabba survivor
last year I saw thousands of squirrels, i'm sure there'll be even more next year. in the summer they'd skip along the pavement beside you

red_shift

i once saw a squirrel choking on something in a park in toronto. happily it managed to dislodge the blockage and carry on it's way before i had to resort to some sort of rodent heimlich manoeuvere (sp?).

luka

yeah squirrels are doing very very well. they've recently colonised my mum's garden, and, more suprisingly, my dads. it's a roof garden, three storeys up on a big estate thing. they dig up his bulbs.

jack

the old sports pictures outside on the bookies down my road feature gary mabbut in my favourite ever spurs kit; the yellow away one with blue squares

luka

yeah i love those anachronistic pictures in the windows of bookmakers. the famous one is aggasi, mid-shot with that mullet and what appears to be an semi-erection.

jenks

thread death
gary mabbutt - the unforgiven, wembley 1987
football not a big strand on this forum - some sociological reason? (considering it seems to be so male-dominated here)

rewch

sufi said:
gary mabbut's from our village :D
chew valley bwoy, gerard

think you might have noticed that a while ago... in fact i'm surprised everyone here is unaware of that particular & scintillating fact

(p.s. for everyone except sufi there is a long - exceptionally tedious - backstory to this... hence sarcasm)

jenks

thread death
this reply reminds me that whilst this is a virtual community there is also a real community out there who know each other as ed or whatever rather than woebot etc - me, i don't know any of you and just thought i'd make the comment about football - especially after the incredibly blokish and frankly CAMRA like posts about beer. sorry if i invoked your withering sarcasm - must try harder, must try harder!

Woebot

jenks said:
this reply reminds me that whilst this is a virtual community there is also a real community out there who know each other as ed or whatever rather than woebot etc - me, i don't know any of you and just thought i'd make the comment about football - especially after the incredibly blokish and frankly CAMRA like posts about beer. sorry if i invoked your withering sarcasm - must try harder, must try harder!

cant quite figure out the whys and wherefores of this. suffice to say, jenks, i love you like a brother :)

you too rewch, you lovely boy :)

everybody be 'sorta' friendly immediately. not too friendly, but friendly in a kind of high-minded cosmic fashion.

jenks

thread death
thanks for the love, much needed. ;)
i suppose i am just aware that there's all kinds of connections and history on here that i am not aware of, just felt i'd been slapped down a bit unfairly- i still feel a bit daunted every time i post as if, as an outsider, i am not being witty or erudite enough

Melmoth

Bruxist
There are more outsiders around than you think, Jenks. I certainly have no history with anyone here.
Thats what I like about it.
And your posts are always on the money. :D