Migration

sufi

lala
you heard it here first

Just to give you advance notice that the International Organisation for Migration (IOM)is going to run an advertising campaign on the buses linked to their voluntary return packages.

It will be running adverts in 50% of buses in London, Glasgow, Birmingham,
Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle. The adverts will be on the inside
of the bus for four weeks starting beginning January.

The advert will be fairly general and brief due to amount of information
that can be included, along the lines of :
'Need help to go home? IOM can assist if you overstayed your visa, are an
asylum seeker, were smuggled or trafficked in to the country. Call us free
on 0800 783 2332 or visit our website www.iomlondon.org ' There will be
pictures of reintegration beneficiaries.

IOM run the VARRP package (Voluntary Assisted Return and Reintegration Programme) that is open to asylum seekers, those whose applications for asylum have been refused and people with exceptional leave to remain, discretionary and humanitarian leave.

IOM has also just started its AVRIM package (Assisted Voluntary Return of Irregular Migrants)for overstayers and others in breach of immigration rules.

IOM also play a part in the Voluntary Returns to Afghanistan Programme. It registers and processes applications, organises the logistics of the return and offers reintegration assistance in Afghanistan.

Any thoughts or comments you have, do let me know.

A complementary campaign on integration or highlighting the proud tradition of offering refuge will no doubt follow...

got this email before xmas
IOM are also involved in organising the iraqi elections for expats???

observer said:
The booths will be manned by Iraqis living in the UK, though security will be in the hands of local police. Around 600 Iraqi exiles in Britain will be trained by the International Organisation for Migration, the UN body mandated by the Iraqi electoral commission to conduct the poll.

'There is a huge amount of enthusiasm,' said Sarah Fradgley, an IOM spokesperson in London. 'Some people have complained there are only three centres, but we have pointed out that, if they were living in Tokyo, they would have to go to Los Angeles.'
FFS :mad:

sufi

lala
i don't trust IOM - they are like rent-a-NGO - doing whatever dirty job states want done
& that makes me distrust the elections, but that's totally another issue :D
in fact can we have the iraqi resistance thread moved to politix please admin??
or perhaps the question of Iraqi democracy in occupation may deserve a thread of it's own?

a more relevant question would be about voluntary return of migrants, IOM's role and views on that....

Last edited:

sufi

lala
embrace the great shaitan...

in case anyone's interested, you can witness or participate in one of the great seasonal lemming-like migrations of the 20th century, just reaching it's climax online here:
The Green Card Lottery

now you can only apply onlline, (instead of by post as in 20thC)
the closing date is Jan 5th
so get yourselfs together... i'm applying!:D

statue of libatty say dat said:
"give me your poor, your shiftless"
kaliforniya here we come!

rewch

unless you're applying on your brikistan passport you won't get a green card...coz you is uk citizen...but then anyone adopting such a brazenly optimistic attitude is unlikely to read the smallprint anyway...i think its discriminatory though...

sufi

lala
nah mate i apply under my missus' name! :D (small print is my foods)
you all limeys got no chance tho :p

discriminatory = well yes, tho not just prejudice as they do have coherent reasoning behind it....

sufi

lala
eeek!
jus got a phone call off the IOM iraqi electoral commission in London asking me for summat....

do they read dissensus? :eek:

sufi

lala
well, just to keep pearsall happy ;), i agreed to help em out with some minor things...

i got another interesting email about the iraqi elections,
but perhaps i'll start another thread rather han totally derail this one!

scottdisco

rip this joint please
new thread!

that would be a good idea :)

i enjoy the comments-boxing between bipedaldave and redcrescent on the one hand, and Craner on the other :D