Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Analord series - New from AFX

Default Analord series - New from AFX

Dear Rephlex:

I , like many AFX fans, eagerly signed up for the Analord newsletter when the series was announced in the summer. Since then I have been waiting patiently for word on its official release. Finally, Wednesday morning, word arrived: If you want one, it'll be 40!

40!!??! That's almost $100 Canadian! For a *new* record! That may or may not be any good! No sound samples are available and apparently nobody has heard it except for a rare few who appear to have been chosen for their extreme inarticulateness. Example:

I really would like to trust you on this, Rephlex, but RDJ's output has been questionable of late, to say the least (Smojphace...hello!). I for one am beginning to wonder whether Mr. James is playing some elaborate prank that ratchets up a notch with each subsequent release. I get the idea that he is rummaging around his bank vault cum appartment wondering, "What unlistenable shit can I sell the proles this time?" Cue the hysterical laughter as he selects a mouldering reel-to-reel from the pile on the floor. Daddy needs a new tank!

I realise that Aphex Twin probably out-sells all of the rest of Rephlex's catalogue combined, but surely there must come a time when someone over there listens to Dick's latest stylus-on-sandpaper track and says, "Fuck, Rich, this sucks! Have you got anything worth listening to?" The penny has got to drop for those of us who have obsessively collected his stuff lo these 20 years and when it does you'll be luck to move one of these soul-sucking jokes, let alone the 87 that have been ordered as of this writing. We don't take kindly to being the butt of some artfuck's joke and we have the spending power to back it up.

In closing, I would like to thank you for opening my eyes. I will not be wasting my hard-earned, near-worthless Canadian dollars on any more of your product.

Merry Christmas,

The Grinch
    Last edited by Chef Napalm; 17-12-2004 at 02:37 PM.
    -John

it's not an ordinary record though:

it's a limited run (short runs cost more per unit)
    it's on audiophile vinyl (proper audiophile vinyl at that)
    it comes in a fancy folder thingy

therefore it costs more

anyway - isn't it coming out as a "normal" release further down the line?

personally, I wouldn't spend 40 on a record without hearing it first... but I'm sure it exists to satisfy that percentage of aphex fans who like buying boutique editions of his stuff and expect him to come up with something different, in that respect, each time.

it's a bit of fun, but certainly not a prank.

40 is a bit of a risky figure, even for an old AFX stalwart like myself. Think I'll wait for some reliable opinions to filter through, or maybe wait for this:

"If you're not up for this special collectors edition with binder, we are pleased to announce that you will be able to purchase Analord 10 in a more regular format, but not until 9 preceding volumes have been released (via your local record store, starting with Analord 1 & 2 in late Jan. / early Feb. 2005. We estimate that the alternative format of Analord 10 will be released next Summer.)"

I for one am beginning to wonder whether Mr. James is playing some elaborate prank that ratchets up a notch with each subsequent release. I get the idea that he is rummaging around his bank vault cum appartment wondering, "What unlistenable shit can I sell the proles this time?" Cue the hysterical laughter as he selects a mouldering reel-to-reel from the pile on the floor. Daddy needs a new tank!
    dude this is what happened everytime someone released an aphex tune!

who have obsessively collected his stuff lo these 20 years.......We don't take kindly to being the butt of some artfuck's joke
    !!!! does not compute?!
    Last edited by ambrose; 18-12-2004 at 02:03 AM. Reason: wanted to add more

massive overreaction there .
    its always been clear what the thing was from the start ie 1 x custom made folder to contain all the series and one 1x audiophile virgin pressing http://www.recordtech.com/
    plus the 40 includes shipping which will probably be about 15 i guess as those two things are well heavy, some people just can't read tho.
    and the bloody thing is getting released on normal vinyl anyway next year, no big deal, this is just a thing for those who've taken the last train to nerdsville.
    seems if your're bothered wait till next year, it's only a record afterall.
    and all this shit about sandpaper is laughable isn't it?

It's all over Slsk. It's really shit. Boring, cheap acid. Like the Universal Indicator series only less lo-fi but also less weird. One of the tracks sounds like a remix of that track on Analogue Bubblebath 3 that starts with a vacuum cleaner (that is by the way one of the funniest jokes AFX made) only played at 45. Okay, so I didn't really give it a proper listen but I am sure anyone can bang this out in 5 minutes in ReBirth.

And for the record, I love acid. It's just that there's a lot of shit out there.

yeah those are some tracks someone has guessed might be analord (which is just odd cos there are 11 eps, why chose these two tracks?) that come from an bootleg recording of a dj set.

neither of them are anything to do with analord, i've heard them all, they sound nothing like this and no one else has heard em or played them out, so not a chance of soulseek getting them.
    one of those trax is is some shit old djax track and another is just a track that wasn't released from analogue bb3 era.

Quote Originally Posted by mms
    neither of them are anything to do with analord, i've heard them all, they sound nothing like this and no one else has heard em or played them out, so not a chance of soulseek getting them.
    one of those trax is is some shit old djax track and another is just a track that wasn't released from analogue bb3 era.
    Now THIS is what I hoped would happen. Someone out in the dissensosphere has actually heard this stuff and presumably is willing to talk about it. Excellent. By all means, let's hear it. Believe me, I would dearly love to be convinced that another Windowlicker/On/Come To Daddy (but, you know, DIFFERENT) is on the horizon.

Come on then. Let's have some Aphex acid.

and all this shit about sandpaper is laughable isn't it?
    What can I say? Opinions are like assholes: everyone's got one and everyone thinks everybody else's stinks. Seriously though, RDJ has done some beautiful stuff and some ugly stuff, but let's face it, the ugly has far outweighed the beautiful in the last 5 or 6 years. I can appreciate interesting noises as much as anyone, but if I had known I was buying the squealing-fingernails-on-a-blackboard tracks on the B-side of Smojphace...well, I wouldn't. I mean, what is the point of owning records you can't/won't play?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gutterbreakz
    If you're not up for this special collectors edition with binder, we are pleased to announce that you will be able to purchase Analord 10 in a more regular format, but not until 9 preceding volumes have been released (via your local record store, starting with Analord 1 & 2 in late Jan. / early Feb. 2005. We estimate that the alternative format of Analord 10 will be released next Summer.)
    I know, I know. It still pisses me off.
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Napalm
    What can I say? Opinions are like assholes: everyone's got one and everyone thinks everybody else's stinks. Seriously though, RDJ has done some beautiful stuff and some ugly stuff, but let's face it, the ugly has far outweighed the beautiful in the last 5 or 6 years. I can appreciate interesting noises as much as anyone, but if I had known I was buying the squealing-fingernails-on-a-blackboard tracks on the B-side of Smojphace...well, I wouldn't. I mean, what is the point of owning records you can't/won't play?.
    yeah it didnt rip the bank open tho and that is the only 2 noise tracks he's done, it wasn't the greatest ep tho.
    ithink the noise tracks are ok personally, not all the time at all or anything, and obviously they're not tuneful or comparable to his other stuff but they're nice and clear, i especially like the bit in the second track around a minute and a half in where the ultra sound kicks in and you think someone is behind you.

save it for the 100% genuine plastic folder. Bucks.

yeah it didnt rip the bank open tho and that is the only 2 noise tracks he's done, it wasn't the greatest ep tho.
    ithink the noise tracks are ok personally, not all the time at all or anything, and obviously they're not tuneful or comparable to his other stuff but they're nice and clear, i especially like the bit in the second track around a minute and a half in where the ultra sound kicks in and you think someone is behind you.
    Hardly the only ones he's done. Ventolin, the [equation] track on Windowlicker, and several on DrukQs also qualify, methinks. The correct (?) categorisation might be "aggro", but it amounts to noise; noise with beats.

Regardless, you're side-stepping the question. Are you going to tell us about what you've heard of the Analord series or not?

Hint: Try to avoid the descriptor "Wicky, Wicky, Wicked."
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Napalm
    Hardly the only ones he's done. Ventolin, the [equation] track on Windowlicker, and several on DrukQs also qualify, methinks. The correct (?) categorisation might be "aggro", but it amounts to noise; noise with beats.

Regardless, you're side-stepping the question. Are you going to tell us about what you've heard of the Analord series or not?

Hint: Try to avoid the descriptor "Wicky, Wicky, Wicked."
    ventolin has beats and a hummable melody.
    as do the others.

its analogue dance music avaliable next year

its analogue dance music avaliable next year

Very profound.
    -John

Ah, ok, sorry for the unnecessary flaming then. One of the tracks did sound very much like Djax. Is it not shipping yet or what? Because surely the moment someone gets a copy it will be up on slsk in no time.

what i heard was superb.

AFX at his best.