Analord series - New from AFX

hint

party record with a siren
Chef Napalm said:
Let's be clear: I don't want to download anything (thanks for the condescending generalisation, just the same). I want listen to it....I buy lots of stuff online and I've been screwed too many times to buy it unless I hear it first.

The bottom line is that I don't think sound samples are too much to ask, especially when you're expecting what I view as a substantial investment. The whole thing smacks of arrogance and it pisses me off.

you misunderstood - I wasn't being condescending or suggesting that you would / should be going straight to soulseek....

when each analord 12" is released, and in the shops (online and otherwise), you will be able to hear it. that's how I hear stuff when it's available and decide whether or not I want to buy it. that's what I was saying. I've never downloaded a P2P file in my life.

no one is willing to tell us what two tracks from the now released Analord 10 sound like?

apparantly there has been a manufacturing hold up with the limited release, so it hasn't been sent out just yet.

mms

sometimes
i think 1 and 2 are out this month.

you get a props in paul morleys words and music btw hint
i'm reading it at the mo

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
mms said:
they are tight lipped because it's their label and they can do what they want, and they don't want you to get it on soulseek months before it's out.
They can convert text to mp3s now? Wow! :eek: Ain't technology grand?

You're right, of course; it is their label and they can do what they want. I just think saying "Buy this. No you can't listen to it first," is incredibly arrogant.

mms said:
i'm tight lipped cos it's more fun than being super fucking boring and doing mp3s of it.

i remember the pleasure of waiting for records to come out for what seemed like months and waiting till woolies opened in the morning on the day it came out, not having any money to buy mags and pre internet. then going home or having it on my walkman at anytime possible and endlessly listening to it for weeks.

now i can download some data of alot of things at my will anytime 3 months before the release date, i don't.
You skim when you read, don't you? RealAudio (a la WadioWoebot) would suit me down to the ground. 30 seconds would do it. Besides, I am far more interested in your opinion than your mp3s ("super fucking boring" or not).

As for waiting ages for the release, didn't we just do that? Did I imagine four months of breathless anticipation? If it was $10, I'd take the risk and probably be elated by it. $100 is not a risk, it's grounds for divorce.

@ hint:

Chef Napalm said:
The bottom line is that I don't think sound samples are too much to ask, especially when you're expecting what I view as a substantial investment. The whole thing smacks of arrogance and it pisses me off.
The "you're" refers to Rephlex, not you personally. I sincerely appreciate your opinion and I appologize if I offended.

Last edited:

xero

was minusone
that leather-effect plastic binder is spectacularly naff isn't it - is it, perhaps, ironic? (yawns)

mms

sometimes
chefnapalm:You skim when you read, don't you? RealAudio (a la WadioWoebot) would suit me down to the ground
nah it doesn't matter its still boring, what would my description of it do for you? i gave you a description maybe i could give you the same description with a list of the objects around me as i'm writing it or something, why not wait so you can give me a description, i'd like that but it wouldn't change my opinion as to whether i like it or not, but i do like it.

you aren't being forced to buy it, you do have a choice in the matter, they make it quite clear that the record is coming out normal format normal price next year, so this one is for the ubernerds, and there are alot of them, which is probably the problem with this kinda music. But it's quite a nice little thing from what i remember, pricey tho.

anyway it's a record it's not important.

AshRa

Is anybody else kicking themselves for not buying the Analord binder?!

I've just bought Analord 1 & 2 and they're right up there with CLASSIC early 90s Aphex - if the rest of the series is this good the 'bible-binder' is just the icing on the cake! :)

vache

The binder does look a bit silly, but...
Wow! The first 2 records in this series are superb. I was expecting to dismiss them out of hand, but I heard excerpts online and picked them up immediately. Certainly they are like classic early 90s afx, but they also follow these strange directions and have these wonderful unexpected fits and starts.

AshRa said:
Is anybody else kicking themselves for not buying the Analord binder?!

I wouldn't go that far, but it's interesting that it became unavailable almost as soon as Analord 1 & 2 came out. It's as though, in order to get the Analord 10 binder package, they wanted the fans to take a financial 'leap of faith', without having any knowledge of the possible quality/contents. My faith had been seriously tested in recent years (Smodgeface EP seemed to be really taking the piss) and I wasn't up for it. I'll live... ;)

AshRa

Nick Gutterbreakz said:
My faith had been seriously tested in recent years (Smodgeface EP seemed to be really taking the piss) and I wasn't up for it. I'll live...

Well I just wish I could be so flippant! ;) I NEED THAT BINDER or I don't know what i'll do!

notoriousJ.I.M

matt ob said:
Fuck the binder, buy the records. They're fantastic and very reasonably priced too - £4.99 each. Bargain.

Agreed, the records are the important thing, the rest is just packaging. Anyway, the binder looks cheap and impractical
377967-1105704663.jpg
377967-1105704623.jpg

I simply invested in some cardboard sleeves for 25p each and will house each record in one of those!

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Seen the Analord 10 binder set on ebay going for upwards of $300. Makes me wonder why the people got them in the first place and why those who are buying them on ebay didn't order from Rephlex (well...I know why it happenned, it just doesn't feel right).

Someone should tell Rephlex to adopt a new marketing strategy. Next time sell the suckers straight on eBay, a few per week. At least then the money will be going to the right place.

jed_

haha, that guy's just been had. he's probably got too much money to start off with anyway.