Cycling

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Maintenance question for yous - I've got a rattling noise coming from my bottom bracket (I think) and I reckon it's a loose bearing. It's not there all the time and doesn't seem to be affecting anything other than being a pain in the ass. Should I get it fixed, or just leave it?

jenks

thread death
Fix it before you find you can no longer turn the cranks. Now it depends upon whether you can actually get to the BB without a special tool - my bet is you will probably need a new BB if it is a BB problem.

Silly question you might think but have you tightened your cranks and pedals? The number of times that I thought it was a BB problem but was in fact just in need of everything being tightened up a bit. Also, bizarrely, check your head set - strangely that clicking can sound just like the BB!!!

A bike shop will take the BB out for you and if it's a half decent shop may even just grease the thing up and stick it back in as long as the bearings are all ok. I always make sure the bike is clean before i pop it into the shop - it cheers them up no end.

hucks

Your Message Here
Got my coach booked home for the Dunwich Dynamo. Quite excited. And a bit daunted.

Riding to Paris over the weekend to escape the r***l w*****g. Have bought a Kraftwerk Tour de France cycle shirt for the occasion.

Edit: that looks like I've starred out "wanking". Hur hur hur.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Fix it before you find you can no longer turn the cranks. Now it depends upon whether you can actually get to the BB without a special tool - my bet is you will probably need a new BB if it is a BB problem.

Silly question you might think but have you tightened your cranks and pedals? The number of times that I thought it was a BB problem but was in fact just in need of everything being tightened up a bit. Also, bizarrely, check your head set - strangely that clicking can sound just like the BB!!!

A bike shop will take the BB out for you and if it's a half decent shop may even just grease the thing up and stick it back in as long as the bearings are all ok. I always make sure the bike is clean before i pop it into the shop - it cheers them up no end.

Took your advice and went to the shop. Turns out the cheapo pedals that I'd had for about eight years were knacked :)

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
^ Great writing there. And it's been said before, but nice bike!

I did Cambridge to King's Lynn yesterday, which was fun. Observations:
i) Don't always trust the National Cycle Network for planning, there are loads of off-road sections that are brilliant if you're a family with small children but rather slow if you aren't.
ii) Just because it's on a NCN route doesn't mean that there isn't a tree root pushing a largeish ridge out of the asphalt.
iii) Failure to appreciate ii) can leave you getting home with rather less skin by than you set off with .
iv) This section alongside the Hundred Foot Drain is fantastic, it's a real treat for connoisseurs of boring stuff
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.517683,0.270023&spn=0.057452,0.110378&z=13

Btw, does anyone know of a good resource for finding leisure routes that other people have done and enjoyed in your area?

jenks

thread death
^ Great writing there. And it's been said before, but nice bike!

Btw, does anyone know of a good resource for finding leisure routes that other people have done and enjoyed in your area?

Thanks

This site seems quite useful - these are the Essex routes but they do them for every county in the country (no Barling Loop there) and I have done versions of many of the Essex ones of these so can vouch for them.
http://www.cycle-route.com/Cycle-Route-Site-Map-E.html
Apparently I just missed Alex Dowsett and Cavendish bombing round Danbury on Saturday morning - gutted. Would have loved to see Cav take on North Hill.

don_quixote

Trent End
yeah the sustrans routes can be dodgy, but occasionally you get a beautiful bit of old railway that has been tarmacked over and is dead straight, flat and empty.

you

ha - yes! - You see those weird blokes around the suburbs who ride full sus 80's mountain bikes in full leathers and a full face helmet - I always admire their conviction, but it makes me chuckle

I guess if your London based there is little opportunity for mountain biking.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Okay, so I've figured out that hauling your chubby ass around country lanes on a cheap roadbike / hybrid while wearing full pro-team lycra is deeply deeply déclassé.

But does this apply to retro replica gear? Because I've just discovered woolistic and their beyond stush range of 70's style merino jerseys and I totally want one (or several):

wolf-long-sleeve-wool-jersey.jpg
molteni-long-sleeve-wool-jersey.jpg
cinzano-long-sleeve-jersey.jpg

Although they do have non-branded stuff as well:

gray-tricolore-wool-jersey.jpg

And in any case, I can't really justify the expense, so I'll probably have to get some cheaper alternatiive (campagnolo heritage stuff looks quite nice) until I unexpectedly become very rich...

Why is mainstream modern cycling style so awful, anyway?

jenks

thread death
Cycling 'fashion' is a whole different level of complex. Essentially, if you dress up in team kit you will be mocked. The merino wool revolution has led to soem really nice stuff - not cheap though. Rapha are kind of the kings of this stuff but their stuff comes at a premium. Torm do a version that is much more approachable.

Prendas do a nice line in retro gear as do Solo. All mail order.

someone once went so far as to invent some rules:
http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

Just had the planning meeting with pub Dave for Hull to Harwich and beyond for last week in July - tents, panniers, the lot. Here's hoping the wind drops by then.

don_quixote

Trent End
ha! on my way home today i saw someone in an astana jersey. 1) he looked stupid 2) it's astana, the most classless team ever surely? why would you pick fucking astana?

if i'm riding properly and it's cold i usually wear my adidas tracky top.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
But retro team wear seems to be a bit of a gray area - you'd look a bit eccentric in a vintage Molteni jersey but not in the same way as someone wearing up to the minute Lampre lycra.

Also, it's fantastic design in itself, whereas modern team kit appears to be designed by people who got chucked out of nu-rave for having aggressively poor taste...