Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling

the dynamo sounds fun and at 120 would be the longest thing i've ever attempted, however it is the through the night thing that puts me off. Also i am currently training for a triathlon and haven't the time to put in the necessary extra miles to get the legs ready - i usually do a 45-55mile ride on a saturday.

i'd also have to fit lights etc to my road bike and i have a pathological antipathy to adding any extra weight to a machine designed to be as light as possible

am doing a really nice ride out of Colchester - the three castles - out to castle hedingham and finchingfield - which is 75miles and well marshalled and run for the heart foundation.

Just seen Basso and Ullrich has been removed from this year's Tour (due to start tomorrow)

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/

It is reckoned Mancebo, and possibly some others, will also be expelled before the prologue.

What a shame - I love the tour and it is difficult enough to talk about cycling without drugs constantly being mentioned as it is without this happening. Last time, when they kicked Festina out, the peleton refused to ride - wonder what will happen in Strasbourg tomorrow. I can't see our very own drug cheat, Millar, turn down the chance of a spell in the yellow jersey now that Jan is out of contention.

Of course all the old quotes about how the tour is 'not won on mineral water' will come out and this will deflect attention from the sheer physical achievement of these men as they pedal round France for 23 days, chasing each other up mountains and pushing their bodies to the absolute.

i had Basso down to complete the giro/tour double. God knows who wins now

Gutting, isn't it? And how much more so for whoever wins? Knowing that you've spent three weeks flogging yourself to the point of unconsciousness every day and that the respect you get will always be diminished because of the absence of the favourites?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRottenhat
    Gutting, isn't it? And how much more so for whoever wins? Knowing that you've spent three weeks flogging yourself to the point of unconsciousness every day and that the respect you get will always be diminished because of the absence of the favourites?
    on the plus side, however, my bet on Valverde suddenly looks a lot more appealing

we're off cycling round holland again this summer. and two cyclists have just hurtled past our window.

gotta feel for vinokourov and kazahkstan

i went to watch pakistan play cricket rather than watch todays stage, got same dilemma tomorrow, but cant wait!

Quote Originally Posted by benjybars
    on the plus side, however, my bet on Valverde suddenly looks a lot more appealing
    whoops!!!!

broken his collarbone on Day 3 - this could well be a 'last man standing' tour. Starting to feel Hincapie and Landis might be duelling down the champs in 19 days time

Default Dunwich Dynamo

Did anyone make the Dynamo ride? am currently suffering but also amazed by the event (people, landscape and everyone's willingness to keep on going). organisation was spot on and everyone on the ride was supportive

on a sad note, apparently there was a hit and run in which someone was killed last night

Quote Originally Posted by run_time
    on a sad note, apparently there was a hit and run in which someone was killed last night
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/5164142.stm

yeah i done it. could have done without the rain but had a good time. i was the the blonde bespectacled one on a white ridgeback genesis wearing white reebok classics and a pair of shorts riding with his 20 yr old step brother from cameroon on a ridgeback cyclone.

very sad to hear about the man who died.

I was going to post on the heroic comeback of Floyd Landis until i saw this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ng/5221122.stm

i had thought the utter unpredictable nature of le tour was down to people running drug free and therefore having to recover naturally.

i don't see what the ProTour can do - obviously 2 years ban is not enough of a punishment.

would be interesting to hear what Millar has to say about this.

OK OK,

last year i flopped the dynamo due to finishing uni and spending 2 months getting battered

but this year it's all gonna be different.. i'm DEFINITELY doing it this time!

anyone else??

me and my flatmate are looking to do it fixed, although i just got a colnago frame on ebay that i might try and build up

Quote Originally Posted by benjybars View Post
    OK OK,

last year i flopped the dynamo due to finishing uni and spending 2 months getting battered

but this year it's all gonna be different.. i'm DEFINITELY doing it this time!

anyone else??

me and my flatmate are looking to do it fixed, although i just got a colnago frame on ebay that i might try and build up
    Not doing the dynamo as i've managed to get myself on a trip to ride stage 4 of the tour and i'm then, later in the month, cycling from home to Paris to see the end of the tour.

I think doing it fixed would be mental - i'm guessing it's a decision you might regret at about 60 miles - unless you can flip it round.

A Colnago frame sounds cool. I went and got myself a Madone 5.2 in chilli red - quite the most amazing ride.

It's the Smithfield Nocturne tomorrow night which should be fun with McEwan and Millar and maybe even Wiggins turning up and then it's full steam ahead for 7/7 and the Prologue.

am looking to give the Dynamo another go after initially vowing never again after finishing last year.

Smithfield Nocturne was fun although the downpours must have left the couriers more than a little wet...

oh, and whilst the Dynamo has no huge hills the up and down nature of the landscape would make taking a fixed pretty brave imo although i definitely saw it done by a few