Cycling

craner

Beast of Burden
I talked about the evasions (calender cycles) here: different to cycling, but similar.

Sorry to be a self-publicist, but it is relevant.

jenks

thread death
I remember reading your stuff at the time Oliver - I agree there's more out there. When Puerto broke they didn't just find cyclist's stuff but they were the ones who got done. There was talk of soccer players, athletes and other sports.
There has long been whispers about football players - may well be different drugs but drugs nonetheless.
The worry is that the public become jaded and care little about the drugs - baseball springs to mind here.
it must be remembered that as well as a small group of people making big money on and out of drugs a number of (young) cyclists died - their bodies packing up on them as their hearts tried to push their sludgy blood round their systems.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Did either of you two listen to the Armstrong doc on Radio 5?

At the end of that, one of the drug testers said he didn't watch the Olympics because he couldn't trust any of the results.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
careerplotALLMEANS.jpg

http://www.phys.washington.edu/users/savage/Cycling/LookingAtTheData/AIC.html

jenks

thread death
Cheers. The casquette is very much alive and well down on the Estuary. I'm not going to say which picture is of me.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Terrible weather over the past couple of weeks and either being over heating or cold when out, finding myself in the Rapha shop and discovering that their soft shell is no longer available in my size in a colour that aids visibility and not loving anything else I have tried on has meant I have splashed out on a hard shell in yellow.

Better be fucking good for the money it cost.

Last edited:

Simon78

Anyone got any front light recommendations? I've got a flashing one on there at the moment but I want something like the Hope Vision 1 as well. It'll mainly be used for riding round town at night but I want something that will be alright to use at the Dunwich Dynamo next year.

matt b

Indexing all opinion

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Right,

Yorkshire wins the opening stages of 2014 TdF, and I noticed today that the Yorkshire Dales are the 2nd best place to ride in the UK according to Cycling Weekly.

Dissensus meet up to coincide with Le Tour in 2014?

jenks

thread death
Count me in. Thinking of taking the bike up on the train this spring for some serious hill work.

On a different note, i took part in my first ever time trial this week - 10 miles - really enjoyed it but it was brtually hard by the end. The race of truth and no mistake.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Count me in. Thinking of taking the bike up on the train this spring for some serious hill work.

On a different note, i took part in my first ever time trial this week - 10 miles - really enjoyed it but it was brtually hard by the end. The race of truth and no mistake.

Respect!

If you plan to come up round us, let me know.

Cafe recommendations also available.

I've stupidly agreed to do the 120 mile White Rose Classic next year, so will have to fit some training in around domestic duties.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Expecting to hear more of this kind of shit (was it a Ukip candidate saying something similar? Not that he'd hit someone, obv) given current state of political argument.

Link is here if you don't have Times login

Police are investigating claims that a female driver who knocked a cyclist off his bicycle sought to justify the collision on Twitter because “he doesn’t even pay road tax!”
Toby Hockley, 29, said he was lucky to be alive after a car hit him on a country lane as he participated in the 100-mile Boudicca Sportive ride in Norfolk at the weekend.
The driver, identified only as a blonde woman, careered around a corner, hitting the cyclist and sending him flying into a bush.
Mr Hockley escaped without major injury and decided to let the incident drop. However, he later came across a tweet posted on the micro-blogging site by a Norwich woman saying: “Definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier. I have right of way - he doesn’t even pay road tax!”
The tweet, which used the hashtag “#Bloodycyclists”, has been sent to Norfolk Police, who are investigating.
Mr Hockley said: “A car came tearing round the blind corner and narrowly missed a cyclist in front of me.
“She came on to my side of the road, I took the wing mirror off and I went flying off my bike into a hedge. She hit me hard, really hard. I am lucky to be alive.”
The driver did not stop. “All I know is that it was a blonde girl driving. I burst out laughing, I couldn’t believe how lucky I was and that I was still in one piece,” the cyclist said. “I’m not angry, I would just like it known that her stupid comment that I don’t pay road tax is not an excuse to treat cyclists like second-class citizens.”
There is no such thing as road tax in Britain, but there is a common misconception among drivers that motoring taxes are ring-fenced and that the money raised is spent on building and maintaining roads. In fact, Vehicle Excise Duty goes into Treasury coffers in exactly the same way as VAT paid on bicycles and cycle equipment. Most roads are maintained by local authorities who receive grants from central government and raise money through council tax and charges.
The @cyclehatred Twitter feed compiles a daily list of threats from motorists to run over cyclists and drive them from the roads. The myth about road tax is a common refrain.
The Norfolk woman’s Twitter account has been closed and she has been interviewed by police.
The level of antipathy between some drivers and cyclists has prompted the Government to launch an £80,000 advertising campaign aimed at creating mutual respect to help reverse a rise in casualties.
The Times is urging supporters of its Cities fit for cycling campaign to sign a petition on the Government’s website calling on David Cameron to implement a blueprint for increased cycle use. The petition can be found at http://thetim.es/cyclesafepetition

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Expecting to hear more of this kind of shit (was it a Ukip candidate saying something similar? Not that he'd hit someone, obv) given current state of political argument.

Link is here if you don't have Times login

That Saturday Kitchen man has stated something about wanting to run cyclists off the road in the past.

On-going repair issues with bike has planted the idea of getting a new one.
Having conflicting nightly dreams of riding hard up mountains on a carbon De Rosa followed by cruising country lanes in total comfort on a Van Nicholas or Enigma Ti.

Need for a bike fit is, thankfully, putting off any hasty decision.

jenks

thread death
On-going repair issues with bike has planted the idea of getting a new one.
Having conflicting nightly dreams of riding hard up mountains on a carbon De Rosa followed by cruising country lanes in total comfort on a Van Nicholas or Enigma Ti.

Just got hold of an old aluminium De Rosa Ud for Junior Jenx, apart from an odd paint job the thing is an absolute joy - super light and super stiff - he's flying on the thing. I have a couple of mates with Ti bikes - they swear by them - kind of like an even snobbier version of Steel is Real...

On the TT front I just managed to ride a 10 mile in under 25 minutes yesterday -24:45. I feel ridiculously pleased with myself! No aero bars, all retro (except for the Dura Ace c50s)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Respect on getting your son on such a nice machine at a young age! I'm back on my alu De Rosa and am loving it.

My work mate who used to race on the Belgian crit circuit completely poo-pooed my suggestions of carbon or Ti and just said 'get Italian steel', so I might start having a look for a columbus frame later on in the year.

Dan, you're fire on TTs. I can't think of many worse things to take part in.

jenks

thread death
Respect on getting your son on such a nice machine at a young age! I'm back on my alu De Rosa and am loving it.

My work mate who used to race on the Belgian crit circuit completely poo-pooed my suggestions of carbon or Ti and just said 'get Italian steel', so I might start having a look for a columbus frame later on in the year.

Dan, you're fire on TTs. I can't think of many worse things to take part in.

Some nice bike builders on these shores now working in steel - 14bike do a race frame or you could go for Feather or one of those other guys who have been getting rave reviews from handmade bicycle shows like Bristol : http://www.bespokedbristol.co.uk/
The Swallow 953 looks lovely http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/robert-wades-bespoke-swallow-953-36330/ as does the new Madison Genesis team bike which is steel as well http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/pro-bike-dean-downings-genesis-volare-953.html.

As far as the TTs are concerned, getting some decent wheels has made a huge difference - but if i were truly serious there's a whole world of kit and none of it is cheap.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Yeah, I know of Feather (based pretty local) and his bikes look lush. Need to do some saving methinks...