Cycling

Simon78

My mate has got the De Rosa R838 and its really nice. You can get the same bike cheaper on Ribble but with different graphics (it doesn't look as good though). I think the further up the range you go the moulds are exclusive?

I was looking at getting a hand built Mercian but went for a carbon fibre bike in the end and love it. Building some new wheels for it at the moment but having to pay to get a load of records pressed so have got half the bits just sat there.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
My mate has got the De Rosa R838 and its really nice. You can get the same bike cheaper on Ribble but with different graphics (it doesn't look as good though). I think the further up the range you go the moulds are exclusive?

One of my LBSs has an R838 with £450 off and it is a beauty. I think the carbon layout might be different than the Ribble, but essentially it is a generic frame re-badged by De Rosa's UK Distro afaic. Still very tempted, but I think it's too small and I daren't test ride it in case I buy it in a fit of madness.

The De Rosa Merak and King are exclusives, still made in Italy and mentally expensive.

Simon78

I think I spent 8 months deciding what to buy (and saving) and went through so many options, custom 953, Look, Time, Cervelo, Rourke, Mercian, Titanium. Made my final decision and went to Sigma to buy it but ended up walking out with something completely different :D

I think they're all good when you're spending that much and I'm not sure I could really tell the minute differences anyway tbh.

The De Rosa Merak and King look amazing! I'd be very happy with the R838 though and the little details on it look great. So yeah, more months researching and going on test runs!

jenks

thread death
My only piece of advice is save something for some decent wheels - nothing has made a bigger difference to my ride than investing in some good hoops. Particularly if you are planning on going fast.

Here's what I've been mostly riding around Richmond Park this week. I know it's complete anathema to all Dissensian cyclists, but it's a clever bike.

It comes with a chest belt heart monitor which wirelessly connects to the motor management and automatic gears to maintain a constant heart rate throughout the ride, regardless of terrain. I dialled in 137 bpm and rode about 20 miles within a few bpm of that, apart from on a really steep bit in Richmond Park where I reached 165bpm racing a couple of chaps on road bikes. Not aimed at your 30-something cyclist, more at people who've had a heart attack or have to exercise within limits, but thought I'd share because it doesn't move if you don't pedal.

Usually I ride an Endeavour BS10 which assists up to about 28mph.

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
I'd probably agree with all three on the jersey front.

Word is Sagan is a lot less popular on the ProTour - the bottom pinching of podium gilrs just one outward sign of a certain disrespect for people, traditions etc As well as some eyebrows raised over the way he has won things.

it's an odd tour with no defending champ, no Thor, no Fabian, the first stage is an actual race as opposed to a TT, so we could see Cavin yellow on Saturday night for probably the only time in his career. Is Conty a spent force? Can Ryder or Teejay come good? Is Katusha's Rodriguez the bloke to set it aight in the mountains.

Too right it's time for a bit of Tour hype but let's also praise Danny Mac:

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
785859154.gif

Simon78

I rate Sagan. No hand wheelies at the top of la Planche des belles filles >>>>

Not really a Froome fan but unless Contador has improved loads since the Criterium du Dauphine then I can't see anyone but Froome winning. I'd be happy if its any of Rodriguez, Quintana or Van Garderen though.

I've bought new cycling shoes just before my first hundred miler. The threads for the cleats had gone on my old ones but still, what an idiot :eek:

Simon78

Back from France. The 100 miler was pretty tough but I was well happy to have made it. Watched one of the stages by the roadside and then went to Fougères for the start of another.

Buying new shoes the week before I went was a dumb move and I don't think they fit me very well tbh so it looks like I'll have to get another pair now. Cycling round France was amazing although I was pretty jealous of the people I saw with panniers.

Not the biggest fan of Froome but his ride up Mont Ventoux yesterday was quality.

jenks

thread death
Well done - 100miles is a real rite of passage. I am down do the Ride London 100 at the start of August but before then I have the little matter of the cols des Portillion, Peyresourde, Tourmalet, Aspin and Aubisique.

I have never ridden any serious slopes and must admit to much trepidation but watching Froome tear up Ventoux was rather thrilling. Really impressed with Froome - rather go all marginal gains, he's gone out and blown holes in teh race on its two biggest occasions so far.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Respect on the 100.
Re: changing stuff, about a month ago I moved my saddle back and stupidly didn't mark the original position. I'm still trying to get it comfortable again.

We drove up Tourmalet last year and that alone was tiring. Really beautiful though.
All your TTing will stand you in good stead, there was only one bit that was really steep, its just loooong.

Tour is good this year, but wish Froome would tuck his elbows in.

Simon78

Thanks! I was really pleased. I wimped out of the journey back to the port as my legs were done by then. My two friends who I went with were just on another level. They did the 145 miles back (they added another 45 as they were going too fast) + they cycled down to Poole from Bristol before we even went. I've got a few more years to go until I get that fit I think.

I had a bike fit a few months ago so my set up is really comfortable at the moment, It was just the shoes that were the problem. Bought some SIDI's and they felt comfortable in the shop but not after doing 50+ miles. Think I'll have to go back to Specialized ones and my friend is going to be getting some SIDI's at a stupidly good price.

A guy at work is always off to France and Italy to ride the mountains and when I look at the profiles it just doesn't look possible. Not sure that's something I'll ever be able to do? Good luck though! it sounds great.

Back to the TDF today! Still can't believe Quintana is only 23. Great to see him attacking but Froome was just too good.

Simon78

Oh and.... I'm getting some wheels built soon. Nearly got all the parts and am going for 28/24. I was going radial at the front because I prefer the look. Any opinions on that? Should I just got for 2x instead?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Meself and the good lady got out on bikes for the first time in ages today. A nice little bimble around North Essex / South Cambs, taking in the cafe at the Blue Egg for sarnies and cake and ending at a cracking pub in Wendens Ambo. Fantastic weather too. I'm slightly shocked at how unfit I've got, though.

It's just amazingly nice country for leisurely biking around there (and slightly further west) - loads of really nice quiet lanes going in all directions, just enough hills to be interesting without being too strenuous, chocolate-box villages everywhere you look, nice pubs, useful train line through the middle so you aren't constrained to a circular route...

jenks

thread death
Couldn't agree more - I spend most of my time cycling in Essex and am always amazed at just how lovely it is (most of the time.)

The Blue Egg is the cycling caff with frequent Cav spotting opportunities. Dowsett is our local hero and can be seen on the lanes off season - he even still turns out on the club 10TT. We do the same course in the summer, he's only 5 and half minutes faster than me over ten miles!

The tour comes through from Cambs into Essex on day 3 this year, would be cool if they let local lad Alex come to the front for the cameras.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Whilst I'm here...

Classics are upon us!

Am doing the Ronde Sportive on the Saturday, before chasing the race on the Sunday assisted by local knowledge.

Need to get some miles in, so the bike carrier has been used for the first time this year today to take/collect children from nursery.

Tour of Yorkshire in May. Passes within walking distance of house.

Got in Ride London again. Hopefully will include some climbs this year.

jenks

thread death
Good luck on the Ronde.

This year's season could be very exciting but as usual it will be played out against a backdrop of drug innuendo and factional in fighting between various cycling 'interest' groups including the UCI, bloggers and former pros about the current state of the peloton. About whether any results are credible and what might be the latest drug in circulation.

All of which is a shame as there is no overall dominant rider or even team for the Grand tours and the Classics always produce great racing - Cav for Milan/San Remo? and then more hour record attempts - Dowsett next month maybe and then possibly Brad, will Tony Martin be tempted to give it a bash?