Cycling

benjybars

village elder.
funny reading back to the start of this thread when I was contemplating my first Dunwich Dynamo.. Done five of the fuckers now!

I really wish I could get out more.. new baby makes it pretty much impossible at the moment though. Been to Epping a few times since moving to Edmonton.

Anyway hope everyone has a nice spring/summer on the bike.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
When baby gets into a routine, with naps etc, you should get more time. Before it all disappears again when napping stops.

Evenings on rollers/rides now light is improving when kids in bed, with carefully negotiated weekend rides tend to work, especially if you can pick a destination and meet family there/ride back home.

Or enter a Sportive, because then your rides out are not 'fun' or 'enjoyable', they are 'training' ;)

Longest ride of the year so far this year (50 miles) in dreadful conditions, so 'ready' for Ronde.

With UK riders smashing it, should be an exciting weekend.

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
The fallout between Kimmage and Walsh is really sad to watch - the two guys who did so much to battle against the Armstrong machine. Walsh appears to be so deeply embedded in Sky that he has lost perspective, Kimmage, on the other hand is so angry that he, too, has perspective issues.
If a Spaniard had been able to transform himself in the manner of crash Froome then all the press would be on his back. Good twitter accounts like The Digger Forum and festinaboy do important work in asking the questions but I think they too have made up their minds and anyone who wins anything ever, anywhere is doping in their eyes.
I think I'd like to know more about how Froome has gone from a guy about to get the sack to an undroppable rider - not convinced it's all about altitude and bilharzia. Ketones have been suggested as a possible area of 'legal' doping, i dunno.

luka

Not entirely but if people are winning in times similar to or better than those of notorious drug cheats it seems there's an obvious conclusion to be drawn

luka

All the more so if there are people on their team who have been involved in doping previously

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I think I'd like to know more about how Froome has gone from a guy about to get the sack to an undroppable rider - not convinced it's all about altitude and bilharzia. Ketones have been suggested as a possible area of 'legal' doping, i dunno.

I can barely bare to watch Froome, he's so ungainly on a bike, but the implications if he is cheating within Sky are too mental to consider: All of British Cycling's successes, Hoy, Wiggins, Pendleton, Team Pursuit etc etc existing within an East German style institutionalised doping culture?

Froome's data which Sky released yesterday is considered within the realms of credibility by most experts.

Journeymen Spanish domestiques becoming stage winners is another matter.

Did kill the GC on first day of climbing though.

luka

Anyone got any tips for places to ride round London? A lot of the stuff I did before I left the country in 06 is oversubscribed now.

jenks

thread death
I can barely bare to watch Froome, he's so ungainly on a bike, but the implications if he is cheating within Sky are too mental to consider: All of British Cycling's successes, Hoy, Wiggins, Pendleton, Team Pursuit etc etc existing within an East German style institutionalised doping culture?

Froome's data which Sky released yesterday is considered within the realms of credibility by most experts.

Journeymen Spanish domestiques becoming stage winners is another matter.

Did kill the GC on first day of climbing though.

No, I don't buy the "They're all on it" line either. I think the Froome data appears credible until you hear the conspiracists impugning its integrity. The small pool of tainted doctors doing the rounds between teams doesn't help, nor does the movement of 'dope ban served' riders into clean teams nor team Director Sportives who are also known dopers - Vino, Riis, even our own Yates and there is still the question of how exactly are these guys going up hills faster than known dopers?

But if i have to have an opinion i don't think Froome is doping, nor Nairo, nor Alberto (now) - Nibbles and Valverde, though, less convinced...they do have form.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
No, I don't buy the "They're all on it" line either. I think the Froome data appears credible until you hear the conspiracists impugning its integrity. The small pool of tainted doctors doing the rounds between teams doesn't help, nor does the movement of 'dope ban served' riders into clean teams nor team Director Sportives who are also known dopers - Vino, Riis, even our own Yates and there is still the question of how exactly are these guys going up hills faster than known dopers?

But if i have to have an opinion i don't think Froome is doping, nor Nairo, nor Alberto (now) - Nibbles and Valverde, though, less convinced...they do have form.

Yep-Aru too ?

That Astana still have a World Tour place is a disgrace. Vino has no place in cycling. Not a fan of the threatening motivational techniques (like Tinkoff) which encourage doping.

Cycling Podcast have just released a big doping edition, which I have yet to listen to, but they normally talk sense.

In the meantime there was a single (1) drug test in all of decathlon last year. Athletics completely in denial.