Cycling

Woebot

i cycle AND drive in london. i have to!

it is becoming impossible to do the latter. councils like camden (especially) are getting carried away.

do (other) cyclists really need their ***** wiped to this degree?

DannyL

Wild Horses
I've been cycling to work for the last few months, after taking free lessons on cycling (free to Tower Hamlets residents). I would like to expand my cycling and do some slightly bigger distances - my commute is only a few miles. What would Dissensus suggest? Is there a handy list of easily reachable routes anywhere? Anyone have any clubs or similar to recommend?

DannyL

Wild Horses
I signed up to Sky Ride and it keeps suggesting a 30m ride starting in Anerley. This sounds difficult for me because a) I never ridden 30m and b) it's in fugging Anerley so I'd have to get there first. 40 min on the train to there, really. I was hoping to find some stuff starting Eastsides.

luka

Go East along the Thames till boredom sets in. Traffic free. Join it round Limehouse. Cross the river at Greenwich

DannyL

Wild Horses
Go East along the Thames till boredom sets in. Traffic free. Join it round Limehouse. Cross the river at Greenwich

Good plan dude. Looking forwards to it. Might even ride out of Greenwich MVE and laden myself with unnecessary records.

luka

Good idea. If you fancy it let me know when you're in Greenwich and I'll wheeze towards Woolwich with you if I'm not busy that day

jenks

thread death
Tour starts on Saturday - anyone interested? First year in a while where a surprise could well be on the cards, especially after Tom Dumoulin won the Giro.
There's a load of sprint stages and fewer mountain top finishes so it could be cagey affair. Junior Jenx (who is a rather decent rider and his ability to read the race is quite impressive) has opined that it wont be Froome and it won't be Porte, he says it could be Aru whereas I would love to see Bardet win.

Anyway, three weeks of the most effective advert for the French tourist board kicks off in ...erm...Dusseldorf - I expect lots of Kraftwerk in highlights packages.

jenks

thread death
People have had a lot of fun over the stage 3 crash involving Bardet and Thomas. Chapeau to the guy who photoshopped this one:
bardet medusa.jpg

jenks

thread death
Many people agree with you Oliver - I don't think he meant to sling his elbow out into Cav but he did send him into the railings. I think the rugby analogy is pretty useful here - it's not about intent but about consequences - look at SBW red on Saturday, once he dropped the shoulder he had to go (I think, anyway.)

It's a shame for the Tour as Sagan is undoubtedly the star performer, especially now Sky have taken hold of the race. there is a danger of the drama being removed without rides like stage 3's where Sagan unclipped and still had the power to hold off GVA.

Sprint stage today - let's see who really wants the green jersey now.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Been looking after son no.2 who has chicken pox for a couple of days, so watched almost all of the stages from start to finish. Soporific for the both of us.

Stage four was perfect for looking at chateaux, the French countryside, tractors and diggers. Van Keirsbulck looked mortified when he looked round and no-one was coming up to him at km 0. He looks a bit like Boonen on the bike- he was touted as a successor a few years ago (went pro w/Quickstep at 18). Losing Sagan has ruined my fantasy league chances.

Fuck knows what BMC were up to yesterday, but good that full Sky dominance is being threatened. Aru looked good in National Champs jersey. Gilbert missing his, now he just has shit socks. Can Martin go well in the mountains proper?

Lots of Brits in the race.

ITV4 coverage much better than Eurosport

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
"Aru looked good in National Champs jersey" - you can almost forget he's riding for Astana in that jersey - I picked him earlier and I do like his style. I think Martin is overrated and will pop at some stage. I'd love to see Bardet step up another level though.

" Gilbert missing his, now he just has shit socks":D

The Gorilla for today I think.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
"Aru looked good in National Champs jersey" - you can almost forget he's riding for Astana in that jersey - I picked him earlier and I do like his style.
It's nice to see a successful attack from a few KM out, will put the other teams on edge for mountain stages.

I think Martin is overrated and will pop at some stage. I'd love to see Bardet step up another level though.

Martin's more of a hilly one day rider / less good Valverde, so he will probably fade.

Bardet and Aru are both in my fantasy league, but not sure that Bardet can get better than a low podium. Aru could do very well.

The Gorilla for today I think.
Sprints are wide open now, aren't they? Hasn't Greipel won a stage in every GT he has entered? Mental.

jenks

thread death
This is turning into one of the most attritional Tours de France in living memory - yesterday will go down as one of the genuinely epic stages. Geraint and Gesink crashing out in the early part of the day would usually have taken the headlines but first Aru attacking Froome's mechanical, then Porte's sickening crash, then Bardet descending like a genius all overshadowed by Uran winning while stuck in his hardest gear - breathless stuff. And that's without all the guys who didn't make the time cut - I wouldn't want to be Demare today explaining to his teammates about how he's ended their tour cos he's super shit uphill.

craner

Beast of Burden
That was an amazing race yesterday (although I only watched highlights). Stomach-churning crash, and a shame for the competition to see Porte go out.