Cycling

jenks

thread death
I know there's plenty of cynicism here about any sport that involves sitting down but...

Cavendish is in the pink jersey at the Giro - the first time any brit has managed the feat. He's spent the last year kicking evryone's arse and I think should be applauded - he could well be our forst ever green jersey winner on the Champs Elysee in July.

anyway, thought I'd mention it...

luka

i done london to brighton and the dynamo in the same week. they're both a piece of piss. you dont need to train. its a waste of time. although i did get very lost trying to find my way to brighton and ended up rising along the hard shoulder of whatever very fast A-road gets you to brighton. that was quite scary. so you probably need a map. it was me and my mate, we done it from his house near caledonian road, just becasue we were bored.

benjybars

village elder.
i done london to brighton and the dynamo in the same week. they're both a piece of piss. you dont need to train. its a waste of time. .

you big butch bastard.. ;)

i'm on for my hat-trick of dynamos this summer.. can't wait actually cos i did the first two riding fixed gear but will have my new road bike built up for this one.. :D

i really hope armstrong has massive crash and suffers extensive injuries on his TdF return.

luka

9 and a half stone of british beef.
my brother done it on a training regime of lager, skunk, kebabs and fried chicken
i remember when i done it, you were like, yeah im going to do it, i'll see you there, then you lagged it off.

benjybars

village elder.
9 and a half stone of british beef.
my brother done it on a training regime of lager, skunk, kebabs and fried chicken
i remember when i done it, you were like, yeah im going to do it, i'll see you there, then you lagged it off.

yeah cos that year i finished my exams and spent the whole summer getting battered.

now i'm a dedicated athlete tho innit..

thing is with cycling, you can do fairly big rides without training or anything.. but i reckon it's more enjoyable when you're feeling at least moderately healthy and in-shape.

big up your brother tho.. that's an olympian training regime.

jenks

thread death
Anyone watching the Tour.

Wiggins just rode the stage of his life and could well be standing on the podium in a week's time.

Contador just owned the hill.

Marvellous stuff

hucks

Your Message Here
Wiggins is doing fantastically. I'm also impressed by Cavendish - we don't have many sportsmen as single minded as him in the UK. It's like we're suspicious of them or something.

My mate is well into the tour and me and him are cycling to Brighton later this summer. I went to Waltham Abbey along the Lea Valley this weekend, which was nice and flat an pretty, on the whole. On the way back, I got lost, and ended up getting the tube home from Loughton :eek:

luka

if you go to waltham abeey again make sure you find the anti-aircraft emplacement which rises out of the jungle like a ruined mayan temple. it is on an embankment between two lakes in lea valley park. we used to cycle up there all the time.

jenks

thread death
agree with that, unfortunately all discussion about road acing involves a ten minute argument about druggs!

Cav looked monstrous today - Renshaw due props for impeccable lead out again.

Wiggins, though, for me, is a real star - 4th is phenomenal and we may well see him win something big before 2012.

His twitter feed is hilarious - it's all been about how smashed he's planning to get tonight - rather refreshing to hear. He nearly got arrested in Beijing for pretending to be Starsky and Hutch and rolling over police car bonnets, can't see Alberto, or Lance doing that.

And did you see Lance's bike? designed by Hirst - is it supposed to be a play on the Blake quote of breaking a butterfly on the wheel?

benjybars

village elder.
yeah all of Cav's lead outs have been pretty much perfect.

didn't wiggins have serious problems with drink after 2004 olympics? :eek:

yeah apparently Lance was riding custom bikes all the way through the tour. wonder how much that Hirst one will go for?!

massrock

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

don_quixote

Trent End
also i'm meant to be doing a 50km mountain bike race in october. what can i do to train for this best? it is muddy, apparently.

edit: when i say race, i mean other people will be there and i don't want to be last. in the same way that the london marathon is a race.

Last edited:

luka

if you live in london get down to epping forest, high beech etc. or to the new cycle place in essex. can't remember the name. something hill? they have a dedicated mountain bike course.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Can any London bods recommend a decent second-hand bike shop? I want a decent or semi-decent no-frills road job for not too much cash, if possible. Looks unimportant, must have own teeth, GSOH. Oh, and preferably not relieved of its previous owner kleptologically. Ta.

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Can any London bods recommend a decent second-hand bike shop? I want a decent or semi-decent no-frills road job for not too much cash, if possible. Looks unimportant, must have own teeth, GSOH. Oh, and preferably not relieved of its previous owner kleptologically. Ta.

I bought mine second hand in a shop underneath the arches at Elephant and Castle. I think it was a bit overpriced, in retrospect, but they had a decent selection of bikes and add-ons.