Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling

Good luck on the Ronde.

This year's season could be very exciting but as usual it will be played out against a backdrop of drug innuendo and factional in fighting between various cycling 'interest' groups including the UCI, bloggers and former pros about the current state of the peloton. About whether any results are credible and what might be the latest drug in circulation.

All of which is a shame as there is no overall dominant rider or even team for the Grand tours and the Classics always produce great racing - Cav for Milan/San Remo? and then more hour record attempts - Dowsett next month maybe and then possibly Brad, will Tony Martin be tempted to give it a bash?

funny reading back to the start of this thread when I was contemplating my first Dunwich Dynamo.. Done five of the fuckers now!

I really wish I could get out more.. new baby makes it pretty much impossible at the moment though. Been to Epping a few times since moving to Edmonton.

Anyway hope everyone has a nice spring/summer on the bike.

When baby gets into a routine, with naps etc, you should get more time. Before it all disappears again when napping stops.

Evenings on rollers/rides now light is improving when kids in bed, with carefully negotiated weekend rides tend to work, especially if you can pick a destination and meet family there/ride back home.

Or enter a Sportive, because then your rides out are not 'fun' or 'enjoyable', they are 'training'

Longest ride of the year so far this year (50 miles) in dreadful conditions, so 'ready' for Ronde.

With UK riders smashing it, should be an exciting weekend.
    Last edited by matt b; 30-03-2015 at 11:06 AM.

David Walsh seems reasonably sure he's clean.

The fallout between Kimmage and Walsh is really sad to watch - the two guys who did so much to battle against the Armstrong machine. Walsh appears to be so deeply embedded in Sky that he has lost perspective, Kimmage, on the other hand is so angry that he, too, has perspective issues.
    If a Spaniard had been able to transform himself in the manner of crash Froome then all the press would be on his back. Good twitter accounts like The Digger Forum and festinaboy do important work in asking the questions but I think they too have made up their minds and anyone who wins anything ever, anywhere is doping in their eyes.
    I think I'd like to know more about how Froome has gone from a guy about to get the sack to an undroppable rider - not convinced it's all about altitude and bilharzia. Ketones have been suggested as a possible area of 'legal' doping, i dunno.

anyone who wins anything ever, anywhere is doping in their eyes.
    This is basically Luke's position.

Not entirely but if people are winning in times similar to or better than those of notorious drug cheats it seems there's an obvious conclusion to be drawn

All the more so if there are people on their team who have been involved in doping previously

It looks a bit iffy, I agree.

I'm back on my bike again and off the drugs btw

Riding clean

Your drugs were hardly performance enhancing, though. They were disabling.

Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    I think I'd like to know more about how Froome has gone from a guy about to get the sack to an undroppable rider - not convinced it's all about altitude and bilharzia. Ketones have been suggested as a possible area of 'legal' doping, i dunno.
    I can barely bare to watch Froome, he's so ungainly on a bike, but the implications if he is cheating within Sky are too mental to consider: All of British Cycling's successes, Hoy, Wiggins, Pendleton, Team Pursuit etc etc existing within an East German style institutionalised doping culture?

Froome's data which Sky released yesterday is considered within the realms of credibility by most experts.

Journeymen Spanish domestiques becoming stage winners is another matter.

Did kill the GC on first day of climbing though.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I'm back on my bike again and off the drugs btw

Riding clean
    lets reassemble the bike gang, Tour De Thames Estuary, we could get sponsorship from Greggs, Oliver have you still got your amazing hybrid mountain bike ?

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Your drugs were hardly performance enhancing, though. They were disabling.
    what polish lager, cheese and onion pasties and endless green is the food of champions