Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: Cycling

I'm ready and awaiting your call jim

texted you

Anyone got any tips for places to ride round London? A lot of the stuff I did before I left the country in 06 is oversubscribed now.

Quote Originally Posted by matt b View Post
    I can barely bare to watch Froome, he's so ungainly on a bike, but the implications if he is cheating within Sky are too mental to consider: All of British Cycling's successes, Hoy, Wiggins, Pendleton, Team Pursuit etc etc existing within an East German style institutionalised doping culture?

Froome's data which Sky released yesterday is considered within the realms of credibility by most experts.

Journeymen Spanish domestiques becoming stage winners is another matter.

Did kill the GC on first day of climbing though.
    No, I don't buy the "They're all on it" line either. I think the Froome data appears credible until you hear the conspiracists impugning its integrity. The small pool of tainted doctors doing the rounds between teams doesn't help, nor does the movement of 'dope ban served' riders into clean teams nor team Director Sportives who are also known dopers - Vino, Riis, even our own Yates and there is still the question of how exactly are these guys going up hills faster than known dopers?

But if i have to have an opinion i don't think Froome is doping, nor Nairo, nor Alberto (now) - Nibbles and Valverde, though, less convinced...they do have form.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Anyone got any tips for places to ride round London? A lot of the stuff I did before I left the country in 06 is oversubscribed now.
    head out east - from Theydon Mount to Canewdon, a cyclist's dream.

Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    No, I don't buy the "They're all on it" line either. I think the Froome data appears credible until you hear the conspiracists impugning its integrity. The small pool of tainted doctors doing the rounds between teams doesn't help, nor does the movement of 'dope ban served' riders into clean teams nor team Director Sportives who are also known dopers - Vino, Riis, even our own Yates and there is still the question of how exactly are these guys going up hills faster than known dopers?

But if i have to have an opinion i don't think Froome is doping, nor Nairo, nor Alberto (now) - Nibbles and Valverde, though, less convinced...they do have form.
    Yep-Aru too ?

That Astana still have a World Tour place is a disgrace. Vino has no place in cycling. Not a fan of the threatening motivational techniques (like Tinkoff) which encourage doping.

Cycling Podcast have just released a big doping edition, which I have yet to listen to, but they normally talk sense.

In the meantime there was a single (1) drug test in all of decathlon last year. Athletics completely in denial.

i cycle AND drive in london. i have to!

it is becoming impossible to do the latter. councils like camden (especially) are getting carried away.

do (other) cyclists really need their ***** wiped to this degree?

I've been cycling to work for the last few months, after taking free lessons on cycling (free to Tower Hamlets residents). I would like to expand my cycling and do some slightly bigger distances - my commute is only a few miles. What would Dissensus suggest? Is there a handy list of easily reachable routes anywhere? Anyone have any clubs or similar to recommend?

I signed up to Sky Ride and it keeps suggesting a 30m ride starting in Anerley. This sounds difficult for me because a) I never ridden 30m and b) it's in fugging Anerley so I'd have to get there first. 40 min on the train to there, really. I was hoping to find some stuff starting Eastsides.

Go East along the Thames till boredom sets in. Traffic free. Join it round Limehouse. Cross the river at Greenwich

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Go East along the Thames till boredom sets in. Traffic free. Join it round Limehouse. Cross the river at Greenwich
    Good plan dude. Looking forwards to it. Might even ride out of Greenwich MVE and laden myself with unnecessary records.

Good idea. If you fancy it let me know when you're in Greenwich and I'll wheeze towards Woolwich with you if I'm not busy that day

Tour starts on Saturday - anyone interested? First year in a while where a surprise could well be on the cards, especially after Tom Dumoulin won the Giro.
    There's a load of sprint stages and fewer mountain top finishes so it could be cagey affair. Junior Jenx (who is a rather decent rider and his ability to read the race is quite impressive) has opined that it wont be Froome and it won't be Porte, he says it could be Aru whereas I would love to see Bardet win.

Anyway, three weeks of the most effective advert for the French tourist board kicks off in ...erm...Dusseldorf - I expect lots of Kraftwerk in highlights packages.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jenks For This Useful Post:

I'm looking forward to it. First time I remember it coinciding with Wimbledon, though.