Cycling

jenks

thread death
completely agree with this. i don't think i could live without a bicycle. it's the ultimate freedom and it's so cheap. no gasoline needed, no taxes to pay, no expensive public transport tickets. it feels like magic that you can move so far with such minimum effort. whenever i have been away from home for a longer time the first thing i long for is to be back on my bicycle again.
As the resident cycling obsessive I can only concur. Many things I could live without but I would find it very hard to live without my bike(s)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I started becoming interested in cycling when I was watching "Kikis delivery service", the finest film of the 21st century (@craner)

There's a bespectacled boy who winds up befriending (and who knows what else) the titular teenage witch, and he's always zipping about on his bike

There was a scene in particular where they're flying down the hills on his bicycle in the sunshine that made me think "ah that must be quite fun"

And lo! It was fun

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I do have faint inklings that I'd enjoy it if i really got into it, wearing lycra and annoying drivers up long hills

I'm interested in doing MTB cycling down hills and through forests but I'm also quite certain I'd destroy my wrists even if I didn't fall over

jenks

thread death
I do have faint inklings that I'd enjoy it if i really got into it, wearing lycra and annoying drivers up long hills

I'm interested in doing MTB cycling down hills and through forests but I'm also quite certain I'd destroy my wrists even if I didn't fall over
I spend far too much time watching ridiculous downhill MTB videos that scare me silly.

I think like many sports/pastimes there is a potential to become obsessive. Always a new piece of kit, something that will make you go faster or look better. I think it’s also about doing something for yourself - the bike (or whatever it is) gives an uncomplicated pleasure, it’s not freighted with irony or an intellectual position. It’s fun - until you break your wrist…