Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Cycling

Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    I'm not usually right
    Good work! Especially considering he rides for Quickstep.

Roglic (who is in my fantasy team) v impressive.

Froome still looking easy. May he go for it tomorrow?

Given the weather forecast, the finale may coincide with my bike ride

If anything is to change then it has to be today...mountain top finishes are usually the ones that really show the biggest time gaps. Bardet needs to attack not just to challenge Froome but also to hold off Uran, both of whom are superior TT riders. I think Sky have still got their eye on two on the podium and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Froome/Landa ride similar to the Wiggins/Froome of 2012.

The subplot could be a Roglic v Barguil shoot out for the polka dot.

In the market for a new bike. Im committed to the alfine which limits my options. 100 miles weekly commute. Torn between something lighter and more practical. Here are the options:

Boardman URB 8.9. 10.5 kg. Lightest & cheapest of them all.

Cube Hyde Race. 12 kg. about €100 more pricey than the boardman, but does have a carbon belt drive which is tempting

Radon Urban 8.0 FE. About the same price as the cube. heavy at 13.7kg, but I wouldnt have to buy pannier rack or mudguards. Could also get a stripped down version with an Alfine 11 for the same price.

Leaning towards the boardman with some accessories, but that carbon belt...
    Last edited by droid; 12-12-2017 at 09:01 PM.

What's the difference in the wheel spec and do they all take same size tyre widths?

and the spec of the disc brakes - any diff there?

final thing I might consider is geometry - and the only way of knowing what suits you is a test ride.

Hub gearing makes sense for a commuter bike but I do wonder if there is really any advantage to a belt drive other than being cleaner.

I'd be tempted by the last one, just because it does it all for a commuter bike - guards at this time of the year are particularly a godsend.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jenks For This Useful Post:

I think its 32 42(!!) 28 for tyres - I could always change them. Currently run 28 in winter and 23 in summer.

I'm happy enough with the geometry of all of them, slightly aggressive - similar to what I have now. Brakes are shimano or Tektro - all comparable in spec and probably better than the Avids I have now.

Main thing with the belt drive is cleanliness, wear and lack of maintenance. I find myself hitting chain problems every 1500 or so KM.

BUT - After going through every alfine bike in the market and narrowing it down to those three, Ive just found this:

https://www.lekkerbikes.com/product/amsterdam-elite/

Its carbon drive with a stepless Nuvinci hub.

Ill be buying blind whatever happens I think. the only one I could try is the cube, and having done some more research I think it will be just too clunky.
    Last edited by droid; 13-12-2017 at 10:43 AM.

I like the Radon too, but I can add mudguards & rack, and I have great USB lights so the dynamo isnt really necessary...