Cycling

jenks

thread death
Looking at the route - it'll get you to Southend but I reckon you could have a nicer ride if you come out and loop via Chigwell to hit Stock and the carry on towards the Hanningfield reservoir, pick up the old A130, head towards Battlesbridge, then follow the road round to Rochford and then go round Barling to Southend.

I regularly cycle round these parts and the roads are emptier than the ones your route map suggests - and more interesting - a few hills and a view of the country in full bloom. Need any further help, give us a shout.

bobbin

What
right, see what you're saying. bit longer but there's nothing wrong with that. the countryside is nice round there. thanks!

bobbin

What
jenks is from that part of the world, i'd do whatever he says.
aye aye

ta, very useful, looks like a lovely ride. gonna do it next weeked as long as i can sign up at least one of my mates

If you're interested in this part of the country and cycling - have a look at my barlingloop blog - there's some pictures if you're not so keen on my words.

good stuff, looks like you're out that way? nice corner of the country for it it looks like

jenks

thread death
Tour de France starts today - as much as I love the football, this is the sporting highlight of the summer for me. I reckon they have put together a fascinating course - watch out for stage three over the pave of northern France and later some monster stages in the Pyrenees - two over Tourmalet.

I am also hoping for a drug scandal free Tour - it's about time.

Cavendish could well become the first Brit to win the Green Jersey and it'd be nice to see Wiggins challenging but in our house it's all about Fabian Cancellera. And ITV4 are showing all stages live.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

bobbin

What
is tdf entertaining on tv? never watched it. can't immediately see why it would be even i though cycling is something i like to do...

anyway i don't have itv4 so this is academic for me unless you can watch it on the internet.

connect_icut

Cavendish has become really arrogant. Rides like owns the road, causes crashes, blames everyone else but himself when he loses a sprint... Not a fan!

Armstrong's conduct has been pretty aggravating recently too. Can't he just accept that Contador is better than him now, without having to steal the guy's whole team? Let it go!

Contador is an incredible rider and yet oddly boring. I'd like to see Andy Schleck or even Wiggins give him a run for his money.

Anyone but Cadel Evans!

jenks

thread death
Cav is arrogant and is having to do his growing up in public - after Sunday he's having to eat a fair slice of humble pie, particularly after the hideous crash he caused in switzerland the other week. He'll come good but he'll always be cocky - like all sprinters.

As much as I wish Wiggins success I cannot see him beating Alberto anytime soon - Contador has finessed that absence of personality that Big Mig pulled off and for us fans it is dull - the perfection of winning. Unless he falls off his bike, he'll win.

Cadel though has won some fans recently by becoming a little less uptight and riding through the mud at the giro to storm away for a stage win.

Oh and goodbye Lance - 7 times is amazing but, as shown yesterday when Cancellera told the peleton what to do - you are no longer le patron.

connect_icut

Blimey! Quite a day on the cobblestones! So much significant shit happening at such an early stage that I can't even get into it.

One thing I would say is that I have mixed feelings about the organizers trying to spice up the boring early stages by making them super dangerous. On the one hand it's reckless and a bit gauche, on the other hand that was a pretty thrilling day of racing.

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm watching the tour de France this year -- it's great so far, lots of crashes and disgruntled cyclists, a Welshman almost touching the Yellow jersey, plus Scott-a-like Bradly Wiggins' deadpan expressions and attractive flat landscapes with the mountains brooding, looming...

connect_icut

Fucking hell, Frank Schleck crashed out. That's surely going to make things tougher for Andy in the mountains.

jenks

thread death
Reckon that's not just bad news for Andy but anyone else who wants to challenge Alberto.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Cadel might be someone to take on Contador over the Tourmalet and I am fascinated to see how Geraint Thomas will handle the pressure (people forget that nearly all the brits are gold medalllists in the velodrome).

Hoping Cav can shake off his awful form and deliver today.

There'll be more snapped collarbones before the tour is over.

connect_icut

Well, Cav did it and even I have to admit it was a great sprint - he didn't over-rely on his lead-out or on raw power; showed good tactical sense. Impressive. It was funny seeing him cry on the podium, though.

jenks

thread death
Cav loves a good cry - the flip side of all that arrogance is that he is expected to deliver everytime. Also I think he understands the importnace of the team and sitting up the day before is a bit of kick in the teeth for Renshaw and everyone else who had delivered him to the line. Monstrous turn of pace in the final 300m.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him do it again today - the hills are relatively minor and the peleton will be resting their legs ahead of the first mountain stage tomorrow - expect Lance to try something on Alberto this weekend.

craner

Beast of Burden
That Cavendish fellow is a bit ridiculous, isn't he? Got to love him, in a way -- the polar opposite of Bradley Wiggins personality-wise, but valuable in his own way, throwing his helmut around or blubbing in front of French models and the world's media and all of that.

The Tour de France is a gorgeous event, but as a spectator you really have to commit yourself, and from the very beginning too, for it to reveal this great secret.

ITV4 coverage is wonderfully languid; I wish it would just bleed right into the Commonwealth games or whatever big thing is next.