Cycling

jenks

thread death
A big shame to see Porte go out - maybe more amazing was Dan Martin's ride to get back up and limit his losses. That descent was lethal and could have cost someone their life.
It is Froome's to lose now, which seems bizarre to say when there are still another 13 stages.

craner

Beast of Burden
Do you think the descent was too lethal to have been justifiable? On the ITV4 show last night, Boardman was just like, "at the end of the day, it's up to the cyclists how fast they choose to go..." *shrug*

jenks

thread death
Racers will always race, sometimes they need protection from themselves. If there is a stage win at stake or time on GC then the front group are going to push their luck. The conditions and new surface really did them no favours - faster tarmac but slippy in the wet - ironically if the old surface had been there it would have been safer as they would have gone slower aware of the potential for potholes etc.

Wouter Wylandt died coming downhill in the Giro a couple of years ago and Annemiek van Vleuten was lucky to escape with her life in the women's Olympic event. I get the fact that the race organisers want great TV but I think Martin was right when he said that the ASO got what they wanted.

jenks

thread death
Closest final week in recent memory and each of the main players have tried to deliver telling blows only for the staus quo to be re-established. The question now is who cracks first? Bardet's AG2R team look really well drilled and if there are cross winds as predicted today then there is potential for carnage and big losses - I think Dan Martin could be the one to suffer most. No-one much talking about Uran - definitely the best TT rider except Froome in the top 5. Big week coming up in Jenxtowers.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I'm not usually right:D

Good work! Especially considering he rides for Quickstep.

Roglic (who is in my fantasy team) v impressive.

Froome still looking easy. May he go for it tomorrow?

Given the weather forecast, the finale may coincide with my bike ride

jenks

thread death
If anything is to change then it has to be today...mountain top finishes are usually the ones that really show the biggest time gaps. Bardet needs to attack not just to challenge Froome but also to hold off Uran, both of whom are superior TT riders. I think Sky have still got their eye on two on the podium and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Froome/Landa ride similar to the Wiggins/Froome of 2012.

The subplot could be a Roglic v Barguil shoot out for the polka dot.

droid

In the market for a new bike. Im committed to the alfine which limits my options. 100 miles weekly commute. Torn between something lighter and more practical. Here are the options:

Boardman URB 8.9. 10.5 kg. Lightest & cheapest of them all.

15485-BI_URB_8.9_Drive.jpg

Cube Hyde Race. 12 kg. about €100 more pricey than the boardman, but does have a carbon belt drive which is tempting

147300_light.jpg

Radon Urban 8.0 FE. About the same price as the cube. heavy at 13.7kg, but I wouldnt have to buy pannier rack or mudguards. Could also get a stripped down version with an Alfine 11 for the same price.

csm_899710_4f13287b7e.jpg

Leaning towards the boardman with some accessories, but that carbon belt...

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
What's the difference in the wheel spec and do they all take same size tyre widths?

and the spec of the disc brakes - any diff there?

final thing I might consider is geometry - and the only way of knowing what suits you is a test ride.

Hub gearing makes sense for a commuter bike but I do wonder if there is really any advantage to a belt drive other than being cleaner.

I'd be tempted by the last one, just because it does it all for a commuter bike - guards at this time of the year are particularly a godsend.

droid

I think its 32 42(!!) 28 for tyres - I could always change them. Currently run 28 in winter and 23 in summer.

I'm happy enough with the geometry of all of them, slightly aggressive - similar to what I have now. Brakes are shimano or Tektro - all comparable in spec and probably better than the Avids I have now.

Main thing with the belt drive is cleanliness, wear and lack of maintenance. I find myself hitting chain problems every 1500 or so KM.

BUT - After going through every alfine bike in the market and narrowing it down to those three, Ive just found this:

Lekker-Bikes-Amsterdam-Elite-blue-Nuvinci-Side-View.jpg

https://www.lekkerbikes.com/product/amsterdam-elite/

Its carbon drive with a stepless Nuvinci hub.

Ill be buying blind whatever happens I think. the only one I could try is the cube, and having done some more research I think it will be just too clunky.

Last edited:

droid

I like the Radon too, but I can add mudguards & rack, and I have great USB lights so the dynamo isnt really necessary...

droid

Its come down to a head to head between

Cube editor (alfine 11, 12kg, gates drive €1550)

147400_light.jpg

And BMC AC01 3 (afline 8, 11kg, gates drive €1700)

Alpenchallenge-01-THREE_red-red-red.jpg

jenks

thread death
I like the look of the BMC - the aggressive forks and slightly sorter head tube and back triangle make it look pretty fierce.

jenks

thread death
Now the World Cup is over...Don't know

if anyone saw yesterday's stage - it was brutal - essentially sticking Paris Roubaix in at the end of the first week. I think the onboard bike cam stuff gives a pretty good feel for just how hard a stage it was

droid

I ended up going for the Cube Hyde race. Belt drive, Alfine 8, about 11kg. I tried the BMC and the riding position was very upright, plus parts etc were gonna be a huge PITA.

It wasnt perfect out of the box. I had to replace the saddle, saw about 4 inches off the ridiculous handlebars, replace the silly 42 tyres with conti all season 32's and lower the stem. Could do with changing pedals as well, but theyre OK in the dry.

Ive done about 2400 miles on it now and am very happy. Nippier and lighter than the old bike, and the belt drive is fantastic. Ill take a proper pic and stick it up.

csm_838002-large-01-04_76ef05df43.jpg

luka

the lockdown got me back on my bike. not cycling was one of those incomprehensible acts of cruelty we perform on ourselves. refusing to do simple things you know you love for no discernable reason. nothing can make you feel like a kid again the way a bicycle does,.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
can you do a wheelie?
i cycle everyday, my bicycle is one of the few objects i'm attached too.