Cycling

jenks

thread death
I know a number of you have posted about cycling but anyone on here interested in the ProTour?

I must admit to becoming more interested once i bought myself a roadbike.

The Giro is currently taking place and Basso has just gone into the lead - many people's favourite for the Tour de France this year. Big Jan has finally stopped eating the pies and there is a vacuum left by Lance's retirement.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2006/en/

So who is going to be in yellow on Le Champs Elysee?

benjybars

village elder.
i've had a bet on valverde for the TDF.. he was cleaning up in the classics recently.

Are any dissensians doing the London to Brighton cycle ride this year??

benjybars

village elder.

run_time

yeah i was gonna do this last year.... very much up for it this year

>runtime - how serious are you about doing this?? most of my friends that cycle are pussies and would never do this

am definitely keen...just need to start training

>any other takers? (and any other thoughts on the TDF)

met a couple of people who've participated and they can't sing its praises highly enough although they are more fanatical than me. got a couple of other friends who've made suitable noises. the impression i get is that going as a group isn't that important as you'll end up bunching up with people with similar abilities rather than your own group of friends (definitely differing abilities among people i know). also want to participate whilst its relatively grass roots (and before the sponsorship arrives in earnest)

gus

luka

that sounds good, more than twice as far as anything i've done in one day though, think i'd have to borrow a better bike, but i'm intrigued, bit of practice and it could be done.

someone told me last night you can't do london to brighton this year cos you have to have already registered. haven't checked out whether he's right or not though.

me and various friends go out about once a week but only for about 30-40 miles.

luka

i'm not very good.

but fuck it, i'm defineitly doing this, it sounds so good.

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
luka said:
i'm not very good.

but fuck it, i'm defineitly doing this, it sounds so good.

That's the spirit! yeah, the more I think about it the more I decide i definitely wanna do it .. the thing about bunching up with similar abilities is probably true but it would still be good to turn up with some other people .. so if any one wants to do some quasi-serious training then let me know.. I usually ride a fixed gear around London but just bought a racing bike so really looking to do some longer trips.. is anyone here a member of a cycling club?? i was thinking about finsbury park cc...

re London to Brighton: Last year i just turned up on the morning of the event (about 7.30)with my mate (who had registered months before) and i just had to pay £20 and they let me enter (although i'm never doing it on a fixed gear again... ditchling beacon nearly killed me!)

anyway, yeah c'mon - team dissensus for the dynamo. Brap!

benjybars

village elder.
run_time said:
if your looking for someone to train with, drop me a line

piwakawaka at hotmail dot com

cheers

gus

ok, I've replied to you and Luka and looking forward to getting something together.. Anyone else for team dissensus @ dynamo 2006?? or the london to brighton which i think i'm gonna do aswell.

jenks

thread death
you have got to love the cannibal - a true genius on a bike.

i have a real soft spot for pantini - once had his cadence clocked at 210/min - just think about those numbers

3underscore

I think I might do this. I do 25 miles a day anyway, so I guess just a few distance runs at the weekend through June should see me OK.

Unless anyone thinks otherwise - like, what kind of training are you contemplating??

jenks

thread death
the dynamo sounds fun and at 120 would be the longest thing i've ever attempted, however it is the through the night thing that puts me off. Also i am currently training for a triathlon and haven't the time to put in the necessary extra miles to get the legs ready - i usually do a 45-55mile ride on a saturday.

i'd also have to fit lights etc to my road bike and i have a pathological antipathy to adding any extra weight to a machine designed to be as light as possible

am doing a really nice ride out of Colchester - the three castles - out to castle hedingham and finchingfield - which is 75miles and well marshalled and run for the heart foundation.

jenks

thread death
Just seen Basso and Ullrich has been removed from this year's Tour (due to start tomorrow)

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/

It is reckoned Mancebo, and possibly some others, will also be expelled before the prologue.

What a shame - I love the tour and it is difficult enough to talk about cycling without drugs constantly being mentioned as it is without this happening. Last time, when they kicked Festina out, the peleton refused to ride - wonder what will happen in Strasbourg tomorrow. I can't see our very own drug cheat, Millar, turn down the chance of a spell in the yellow jersey now that Jan is out of contention.

Of course all the old quotes about how the tour is 'not won on mineral water' will come out and this will deflect attention from the sheer physical achievement of these men as they pedal round France for 23 days, chasing each other up mountains and pushing their bodies to the absolute.

i had Basso down to complete the giro/tour double. God knows who wins now :confused:

OldRottenhat

Gutting, isn't it? And how much more so for whoever wins? Knowing that you've spent three weeks flogging yourself to the point of unconsciousness every day and that the respect you get will always be diminished because of the absence of the favourites?

benjybars

village elder.
OldRottenhat said:
Gutting, isn't it? And how much more so for whoever wins? Knowing that you've spent three weeks flogging yourself to the point of unconsciousness every day and that the respect you get will always be diminished because of the absence of the favourites?

on the plus side, however, my bet on Valverde suddenly looks a lot more appealing ;)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
we're off cycling round holland again this summer. and two cyclists have just hurtled past our window.