Cycling

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Sounds like a good idea. Lord knows where a midpoint for us all is, though- east midlands?
Definitely an interesting idea if you didn't mind having an unfit bloke on a commuter bike struggling to keep up.

I'm fairly crap at having free days at the weekend, though...

viktorvaughn

^Very nice.

I'm going to Brighton tomorrow on the bike, should be nice if the weather holds up.

Does anyone have any experience with ankle pain? About 40 miles in to Brighton the inside of my R ankle started to hurt with every rotation of the cranks. Really painful by the end - feels very much like the cartilage there is sore have rubbed against something the wrong way. Still painful enough two days later to not cycle into work tomorrow...very frustrating as wanted to get into more longer rides.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Does anyone have any experience with ankle pain? About 40 miles in to Brighton the inside of my R ankle started to hurt with every rotation of the cranks. Really painful by the end - feels very much like the cartilage there is sore have rubbed against something the wrong way. Still painful enough two days later to not cycle into work tomorrow...very frustrating as wanted to get into more longer rides.

Were you riding clipped in? Maybe adjust the amount of float?

Last edited:

jenks

thread death

Dunno much about ankle pain - people usually moan about knees and that can generally be fixed by checking position of cleats and saddle height (always worth checking). Always try and pedal with your heels down and try and pick an easy gear that you spin rather than a heavy gear that you think is making you go faster, it does initially but usually just saps energy over the long run and puts strain on the joints.

Doing longer rides recently - 80 miles yesterday with more hills than you would have thought Essex had - climbed the equivalent of Ventoux! Really want to take on the Peak District this summer before doing the Pyrenees next year.

Roubaix this afternoon.

jenks

thread death
Boonen rode like a madman today - 50k breakaway like Roger de V and Eddy the Cannibal in the old days:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Right, I now own a bike for the first time since the age of 18. Really weird, everyone in Holland rides these very old-fashioned looking bikes that make you sit up really high and have these swept-back handlebars. I bought one of only two racer-style bikes in a shop with around 500 used bikes in stock. I found some proper road racers in a shop selling new bikes but they were all the better part of E1,000.

Looking forward to some nice countryside rides now the weather's a bit nicer, plus a little extra fitness from riding to work and back.

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
Cool stuff T - I did lots of that Opa bike stuff in Holland, having to back pedal to brake - loved just being able to cycle next to the canals from the Hague to Delft or wherever. The cycle path network just blew my mind after the constant sense of warfare i felt whenever I ride here. Just watch those tram rails - getting your wheel stuck in those as you hear the tram a-coming is very scary.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Shit, yeah, I bet! No trams where I am but planning to take some trips around the country come summer so thanks for heads-up.

After living in London for so long it's weird to be somewhere the cyclist is the undisputed king of the road. :)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Jenks- I wish I had enough time at the moment to cycle 80 miles a week! Nuff respect.

Tea- I'd recommend getting a pack of cycling maps from ANWB/VVV- really useful for planning where you fancy going and the one we have (Landelijke Fietsroutes 1:150 000- details here (scroll down)) is made up of lots of mini maps, which are easy and light to carry whilst on a ride.

You can do a lot of miles easily in Holland, unless you are on the coast and cycling into a headwind or near Maastricht (has hills)- you can pretty easily do an Alkmaar-Hoorn loop from any of the central cities without any practice/training. Or, cycle somewhere and get a train back (or vice versa).

The Hoge Veluwe National Park is great for cycling

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
T you should watch the Amstel Gold this afternoon - reminds you there are hills in Holland.

Been really getting back into the riding during the holidays - 350 miles in just over a fortnight and I really feel so much better in my head for getting out in the air and putting in the miles.

Started looking at mas, feel like i want another cycling adventure.

jenks

thread death
Took part in my first race last week. A closed curcuit hour long affair. I don't think I have ever done anything quite so exhilarating. It was round the test track at the Ford complex at Dunton - absolutely smashing it for 60 mins with heart rate stuck between 168- 190 for the whole thing. I was lapped on the final lap.

Really did give me much respect for the pros who ride for 5-6hrs in a race and average 27-30+ for the stage. My pathetic 22mph had me looking like a ghost at the end.

Anyone on here use Strava? This is an app that uses GPS off your phone or Garmin to log your ride but people can designate stretches of road as 'sections' which you can then compete on for the fastest time - like a virtual timetrial. When you upload your data it will tell you where you are ranked for each section. Not good for cycling obsessives.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Awesome! I wouldn't ever dare go near a race in a million years and could only keep up 22mph with the benefit of a tow!

I do use Strava, but end up keeping everything private as my mileage is poor and speed decidedly average compared to other users, but I like to see what little progress I am making with the limited time I have.

It encourages and embarrasses in equal measure!

I've been cycling everywhere at up to 28mph on this

No way I could keep that up for 5-6 hours, it takes effort even with the assistance. I had someone in my slipstream most of the way home tonight.

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
I have it on in the background, I almost convince myself I can understand Italian. This and tomorrow are nasty ways to round off a fantastic edition of one of three GTs.

Will Cav hold on to the red jersey? Not often he is up against a non sprinter for it but shows how hard the Giro is, most of the sprinters have retired and gone home. Worth remembering the crash in week one which wiped him out, it cost him all those sprint points.

jenks

thread death
Stelvio yesterday was massive - epic riding. The last km video doesn't truly do it justice. 6hrs riding uphill

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Stelvio yesterday was massive - epic riding.

V. hilly 43 miler in the morning.*
Watching Giro in garden in afternoon.
Awesome.

*Although half way round some twat in a car tried to have an argument with me, blaming cyclists for- from what I could gather- everything.

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
My 13 year old has started to ride with me on a Sunday - it was lovely to introduce him to the Essex countryside yesterday. 40 glorious miles.
I'm going out again after work today to capitalise on the weather before it disappears.

Nice to see Ryder win yesterday - a Canadian and an Australian winning two of the GTs. Geraint's ride kind of got lost but bodes well for the OLympics . A pity for Cav but he 'll have plenty more chances to complete his collection.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I'm assuming that becuase it is still pissing it down like a shitty April, no-one has realised that the TDF has started. Woo hoo!

Bradley's done a Prince:

Wigg
uk_roundel_ornament_round.jpg

Châteaux!

(Not to mention Lance's problems)

jenks

thread death
Cav just gave everyone a reminder that losing 4k in weight hasn't stopped him being utterly deadly.

Potentially the best Tour for years - Wiggo has every reason to feel confident but Cadel could still surprise - still wouldn't be shocked to see someone entirely new take it. Think it's that kind of year and an almost drug free peleton makes things much more unpredictable as riders find it hard to ride hard day after day.