Niceness is evil, or why Dissensus is shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

foret

ffs i didn't gloss over padraig's being a twat, simply that before he went postal there was an undercurrent of sneery dismissiveness towards his posts that does validate what kpunk is saying

nothing in droid's post suggests they have left anyway?

D84

I just noticed this thread.

Re the weed discussion I thought it was very interesting and stimulating Padraig's posts, baseless hyperbole and all. I think there was a space between the two sides of the argument which was being filled by the posts in an interesting way. It's a pity you didn't join in Mark.

I apologise if I appeared dismissive etc at the beginning of it but please understand I am a pretty constipated writer and I try to compress or elide a little too much. I am happy to unpack any of my arguments at anyone's request.

Re the revolution discussion, which I hope will be resurrected someday because that is an important topic, I just found the whole tone a little too combatitive. It is one thing to be intimidating, which requires others to do some thinking or homework before posting, and being nasty which is totally unnecessary - on top of not thinking, doing homework, engaging with other people's arguments at all, etc etc. And yeah I can see how Luka was baiting him, but if he has been on the internet for so long he should know not to take the bait already, right?

Sticks and stones etc...

And yes, niceness is indeed evil... that's why it's the shop assistant's best friend ;)
(eg. b/c it's always a surprise to nasty customers when it disappears)

bassnation

the abyss
foret said:
ffs i didn't gloss over padraig's being a twat, simply that before he went postal there was an undercurrent of sneery dismissiveness towards his posts that does validate what kpunk is saying

nothing in droid's post suggests they have left anyway?

padraig was not dismissed until he abused people who agreed with him. he had plenty of chances. this is my absolute last word on this becauses its getting old now, and i'm still pretty angry about some of the recent events and attitudes on this forum. its taking up mental energy that would be better spent on more productive enterprises.

i am being unfair on droid leaving though, he alluded to it in his post and he told me via pm. sorry about that, you couldn't have known. i completely understand his reasons for doing so, although i hope he changes his mind.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I hope droid returns.

I'm sad that Gutta has taken down his blog and look forward to its return. I am dismayed but not surprised by HSD's casual spite.

I anticipate Dissensus returning to its usual friendliness.

jenks

thread death
Very sad to hear that Droid won't be around - I thought he handled the whole affair with much dignity.

O

Omaar

k-punk said:
Intimidating in that it demanded something of you, made you want to be more than what you were, made you want to be worthy of it. ILM is intimidating. My problem with ILM is, again, not antagonism, but smugness - the one-liner, one-upmanship culture of getting one over on someone else with no deeper project.

Could you clarify whether the former is what you think Padraig was doing here?

Because for me his responses seem to epitomise (after he snapped) the latter - 'smugness - the one-liner, one-upmanship culture of getting one over on someone else with no deeper project.'

It seems to me that this whole thing blew up when he was challenged on this smugness by Droid, myself and others, and reacted in an increasingly bizarre and agressive manner - on a couple of the threads on Iran ( especially towards ambrose) and in the thread on destroying capitalism.

Quoting Droid and dissing him on another forum was pretty low too.

http://irishantiwar.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0002m5&topic_id=1&topic=Irish Anti-War

Foret said:
there was a tone of self aggrandising wantonly inane dismissiveness in some of the early replies to padraig

I don't think that is true at all - I certainly never saw any of it. I'd certainly argue for the opposite though.

Had Droid left then - that's a shame, I've found many of his posts very informative and interesting.

I guess we all have different ideas about what this forum should be and how people should behave in it. These events have made me wonder about this alot.

Rambler

Awanturnik
jenks said:
Very sad to hear that Droid won't be around - I thought he handled the whole affair with much dignity.

Agreed.

Ditto Gutter. I'll miss his writing and his enthusiasm, but a large part of me hopes he holds his nerve and doesn't restart Gutterbreakz, or at least not with its former dubstep focus. If oh-so-precious scenesters want to tell him how to conduct his own business, then see how they manage without him, I say.

2stepfan said:
I'm sad that Gutta has taken down his blog and look forward to its return. I am dismayed but not surprised by HSD's casual spite.

casual yeah, spite nah...

...couldn't give 2 shits either way

I'll miss gutters blog as much as the next man but life in the real world grinds on...

...pretty stupid effort all round I'd say

mean spirited and short sighted, you reckon bassnation ???

I say welcome to the internet man, where the fuck you been ???

...as for luke envoy the guy seems like a total dickrider and mostly responsible for getting me banned from dubstepforum, a waste of space as a moderator there if you ask me... :)

makes a mean tune though, totally sounding like flavour of the month stuff but i wonder how far that'll get him before he gets chewed out...

bassnation

the abyss
HELL_SD said:
mean spirited and short sighted, you reckon bassnation ???

I say welcome to the internet man, where the fuck you been ???

just because you can't expect to realistically change the world, doesn't mean you should give up the fight.

I'm fully changing the world...

...retuning it, one beat at a time

I'm also not giving up anything, if anyones given up it's gutter and I think that's pretty weak...

...as for the fight I'm making my own rules to suit, that way I can't lose

it's all about the art, not the fame or the bullshit...

...some things you just gotta let run their course and give em a bit of a hurry up

in order to create something truly beautiful you have to destroy something else...

...I always used to think when it came right down to it I really don't give a fuck then I realised it's cos I give too much of one

but that's another story...

Fellas, I'm ready to get up and do my thing (yeah go ahead!)
I wanta get into it, man, you know (go ahead!)
Like a, like a sex machine, man, (yeah go ahead!)
Movin' and doin' it, you know
Can I count it off? (Go ahead)

One, two, three, four!

Get up, (get on up)
Get up, (get on up)
Stay on the scene, (get on up), like a sex machine, (get on up)

bassnation

the abyss
Noel Emits said:
That man just spontaneously broke into song!

Is this Dissensus the musical?

maybe filmed in the style of west side story ;)

popists against rockists? dads against academics? running street battles and huge show pieces?

the possibilities are endless.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i don't think so, to be honest. i don't associate with people who look down on me or anyone else. the initial post here is one of the most disgusting things i have seen in a long time and i'm really not impressed. i can take batshit worldviews, i can take confrontation (and dish it out too) but i can't take this kind of self-absorbed elitist bullshit. that is exactly the kind of stuff that makes this board intimidating to people who, believe it or not, although they may not be bang up on their deleuze or badiou (neither of whom i give a flying toss about by the way), might have the odd intersting thing to say and be worth listening to. this intellectual fascism has been a problem for a long time, but this is the most repellent example i've seen so far and it leaves a really bitter taste.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I agree. But I assume he's going to fuck off now. Why would he want to stick around if he thinks the board is shit, and all we nice people are "evil"?

:)

Anyway, if you are going, drop us a mail...

bassnation

the abyss
stelfox said:
i don't think so, to be honest. i don't associate with people who look down on me or anyone else. the initial post here is one of the most disgusting things i have seen in a long time and i'm really not impressed. i can take batshit worldviews, i can take confrontation (and dish it out too) but i can't take this kind of self-absorbed elitist bullshit. that is exactly the kind of stuff that makes this board intimidating to people who, believe it or not, although they may not be bang up on their deleuze or badiou (neither of whom i give a flying toss about by the way), might have the odd intersting thing to say and be worth listening to. this intellectual fascism has been a problem for a long time, but this is the most repellent example i've seen so far and it leaves a really bitter taste.

yes, it does leave a bitter taste. a lot of that was directed at me, for some reason. i felt a bit shellshocked after reading that first post.

but i'm not prepared to let people like mark make me feel small. surely the point of having knowledge is to share, not to use it as a tool to humiliate. i have learnt many things over the years on forums talking to people who know their stuff - but i always got the feeling with certain discussions here that you had to come to the party speaking the right language, having read the right authors and having the right politics. i just can't be that person and i am not willing to feel ashamed about that.

i don't think you should go - the forum needs people like you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.