The World Cup Thread *******

carlos

manos de piedra
Freakaholic said:
Speaking of.... the timing here is awful. I took monday off work and watched the 3 games, and on Friday took an extended lunch to watch Germany, but how long can i keep this up? I feel awful that Im missing Korea and Togo, and thats just Korea and Togo! I even got up early on Saturday! (in case you dont know, games in the CST start at 8am, 11am, and 2pm)

i hear ya... but it's always like that- the only world cup where i've managed to watch almost every game was 2002 (japan/korea) and that was by waking up at 2am or 4am to watch games and then going to work

btw- even in the USA world cup- games were held around noon and early afternoon local time- so you would still be missing on some games by going to work. the only answer is to take the whole month off

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
carlos said:
i hear ya... but it's always like that- the only world cup where i've managed to watch almost every game was 2002 (japan/korea) and that was by waking up at 2am or 4am to watch games and then going to work

btw- even in the USA world cup- games were held around noon and early afternoon local time- so you would still be missing on some games by going to work. the only answer is to take the whole month off

take the whole month off....... now why didnt i do that?

yes, i caught almost all of the games during japan/korea. but, i was jobless. being nocturnal made the job search not that productive too. however, i do remember meeting at diversey harbor every day after the games and playin pickup games at 5pm. if you showed up at 5:05, you were too late and the game was full. of the 22 people playing at any time, i think there were probably 10 languages spoken.

oh yeah, Ive found a website with live radio coverage:

http://clients.mediaondemand.net/theSun/?Channel=1

if you are in a different country, or prefer a different language, check here:

http://www.penguinradio.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/index.php

Last edited:

chimpybits

quick post before the brazil-croatia kickoff.

davor suker was just interviewed on TSN. The interviewer said that Brazil looked good and asked who Davor likes. He replied that of course Brazil, Germany ... but ENGLAND have very good players and he picks them for the final! Yay my fave player from my fave team in 98 picks my usual fave.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Being in Japan thsi time it's easy to catch the first game fo any day's sequence at 10 PM; but then the starts are 1 AM and 3:30 AM or st like that, which is impossible if you need to work the next day (at least for me). Nice to catch SK-Togo last night. SK looks much much better than Japan did, not a surprise.

alo

Of those who saw it, what was the verdict on the 1st outing of (the world cup doesn't start until) Brazil (get here)?
I would say, technically as great as ever, quick, dangerous, not invincible, faded a bit in the 2nd, ronaldo not that great.

Croatia, i thought, had the better chances and should a least have had a draw. It might have put the cat among the pigeons if they had've got result.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Didn't watch the Brazil game I'm afraid but by all accounts they didn't look that good. Thing is, when England don't play well everyone says it's because they are rubbish, when Brazil do the same they say they just had a bad game. When you see lots of highlights of Ronaldinho you realise how amazing he is and it's possible to start thinking he's invincible but he is human, Arsenal were fairly successful at stopping him in the Euro final. From what I've seen the tournament is wide open, there has only been one match won by more than two goals and most have been decided by the odd goal. England won their first game although they played badly but they are in a good position and no damage has been done, if they can raise their game anything can happen...

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
well, they were billed as the best Brazil team since 1970. Clearly not.
Ronaldo not fit, but just fat - but Brazil still pretty good up front.
Ronaldo is (was?) lining up for being the all-time World Cup goal scorer
(Gerd Muller:14, Just Fontaine:13, Pele:12, Ronaldo:12). He might still get that record, but seriously needs to go on the treadmill or something (who doesn't?)

The Croatians had quite a few chances but somehow managed to finish them all off
with looping headers or shots straight at the goalie.
A team with better strikers - say Italy or Argentina (or Suker in his heyday)
would have managed a goal on all those chances.

As for Ronaldinho, class on the ball and all that, but Maradona would haven eat this
guy for lunch (well at least before Diego got his stomach stapled).

I think Australia actually have a chance vs Brazil now,
with Cahill and Viduka at least there's
a couple of guys who knows how to strike a ball ...

So far I think Argentina have looked the best, but it's a marathon etc :confused:

Last edited:

Rambler

Awanturnik
Freakaholic said:
Anyone try and listen on the "Listen to BBC Radio Five Live commentary"?

Can't get this online in the UK either - typical BBC haven't paid for the rights to broadcast matches on the net (this sometimes happens with cricket and other sports through the Beeb).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ness Rowlah said:
well, they were billed as the best Brazil team since 1970. Clearly not.
QUOTE]

How they could possibly be considered above the class of '82 (along with Holland '74 my two picks for the greatest WC sides of all time, regardless of the fact neither won the trophy) is beyond me.

Re the African sides, it's such a pity that the Ivory Coast and Ghana have been drawn in such tough groups (losing narrowly in the first games to the two best sides we've yet seen) - it would be a better WC with those two in the knock-out stages (still hope though). Essien and Appiah were f*cking brilliant the other night for long stretches of the Italy game.

Also, gotta give props to the guy who designed the fonts for the team shirts - best I've seen since the retro glory of 70 and 74.

owen

best game I've seen so far BY A MILE- (or at least for the last 15 mins)- a draw between Saudi Arabia and Tunisia. Wonder if this is a good thing or no

boomnoise

♫
Rambler said:
Can't get this online in the UK either - typical BBC haven't paid for the rights to broadcast matches on the net (this sometimes happens with cricket and other sports through the Beeb).

They have actually. Just click 'watch'.

Rambler

Awanturnik
boomnoise said:
They have actually. Just click 'watch'.

Maybe it was just the one I was listening to (S Korea Togo I think) the other afternoon. 5Live's 'listen now' thing was just giving me a recorded message.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
How good is Ecuador?

2-0 against Poland, who looked real good against Germany.

3-0 against Costa Rica.

and the announcers still wrote them off as easily overlooked.

I havent been able to catch either of their games, so Im wondering if these scores are flukes, due to poor playing on the other teams, or what.