italo disco

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
If you can, find the CBS Top 100 from 2004 in zip format. It's a 600 meg file that is a recording of a Cybernetic Broadcasting System's broadcast from December 2004 where they played the user selected top 100. It has about 80% of all italo worth hearing - none (or very little) of that mid 80's chart crap.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I found the tracklist to the Jefrey Sfire mix but without artist names. Here it is (I filled in artist names where I could):

Patrick Cowley - Menergy
Remember (not Gino Soccio)
Orient Express
Ken Lazslo - Hey Hey Guy
Klapto - Mister Game
Macaroni Radio
Shame
IMS - Dancin Therapy
M & G - When I Let You Down
Den Harrow - Broken Radio
Mr. Flagio - Take A Chance
The Immortals - Ultimate Warlord
Hipnosis - End Title

Also, check out this label: http://www.discogs.com/label/Radius+Records
They reissued a bunch of great italo including my favorite BWH - Stop/Livin' Up. Get the compilation!

bruno

est malade
DigitalDjigit said:
none (or very little) of that mid 80's chart crap.
you're missing out on some incredibly fun music. plus, self control is the same garbage whether sung by raff or pat benatar, might as well enjoy it.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
bruno said:
you're missing out on some incredibly fun music. plus, self control is the same garbage whether sung by raff or pat benatar, might as well enjoy it.

Hahaha...how did you know I liked "Self Control"? I have to turn the volume down when I listen to this mix because it's just too embarassing. I am not missing out, but it is a guilty pleasure.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
producers

Ok, my question is who are the producers who have consistently produced quality. Italo seems like your usual pop model with a few producers making everything and having a disposable cast of faces to put in front of the music. Nevertheless I haven't really noticed any producers in Italo on the level of Patrick Adams.

Well, there's Claudio Simonetti (Capricorn, Easy Going) and Celso Valli (Tantra, Azoto) and Franco Scopinich (Superradio records) but all these guys are more like auteurs than behind the scenes producers. Am I just wrong to think of it like this and is it the case that most italo productions are actually written and done by the people who appear on the cover?

swears

preppy-kei
So, are most Italo tracks "pop songs" then? And is one of the main distinctions between Italo and early detroit/chicago house the switch from "songs" to DJ-friendly instrumental tracks?
Also, the tunes I've heard sound a bit warmer and sweeter compared to that chilly edge you get with stuff like Mr Fingers or Adonis.
I'd like to get into this genre, it seems like a bit treasure chest of tuneage. :)

soundslike1981

So, are the 'I Love ZYX: Italo Disco Collection" sets worth checking out, or are they filled with the lower-rung stuff?

Volume 1:

Volume 3:

bruno

est malade
i would recommend instead the blanco y negro i love synthes12''er dance series, all three volumes are fantastic. or the i love disco diamonds series, which is hit and miss but less so than the zyx comps (volume 15, for example, has acapulco nights, lovely tune). the artwork on all of these is horrific, beware, but you get little thumbnails of the original releases and overall a more rewarding experience than with zyx (with the exception of the italo disco collection volume 1).

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Last edited:

echevarian

babylon sister
Groovy Panda posts on ILX, mostly in the Balearic threads if I remember correctly.

I highly recommend this mix BTW, truly stellar.

glottis5

Here's some Italo stuff I like. Nothing super rare or anything.

Stopp - I'm Hungry has an excellent bassline and nice 808 drums.

Here's the B side, which is a bit more experimental.

Here's some stuff by Amin Peck I quite enjoy.

You've probably all heard this, but fuck it's just too good (BWH):

Nice bassline on this one. Are the vocals awesome or embarassing? (Pineapples)

Here's that Gay Cat Park tune someone mentioned earlier, it's genius.

This is pretty cool, too (Crazy Gang):

As far as comps go, the Mixed Up In The Hague comps are obvious but essential. They aren't strictly italo, though. The old "Best Of Italo Disco" comps from ZYX are ok too. First one is great, and it sort of goes downhill after, but there's still good songs on all of them.